Ninebot One S2 or KS16(S?) for newbie?

pstfch

Hi mates,

this spring I want to buy an EUC and I wonder if an Ninebot One S2 or an Kingsong KS16S (or maybe the cheaper KS16) would be the best to get into the EUC feeling?

The price is in my oppinion a big difference. The S2 costs about 700€ and the KS16S will be much more expensive (1600€ ?). I know that the KS16S will be much "better" and more comfortable to drive and that's why the price can be certainly justified but the question is if a newbie needs this in the first year. Maybe I don't want to use an EUC after some driving experience (unlikely, I know) and then 700€ would be no problem for me. 1600€ would be a problem ...

Thoughts on this?

Best regards,

Tom

On one hand the S2 might be the best wheel for you! On the other hand if you get the S2 and then after only a couple of months you want to upgrade to the KS16S (as that might be the one you really wanted) then 2300€ for both.. As the latter situation seems to happen for the majority of riders I'd recommend to go straight for the KS16S for the biggest chance to save on total cost. On the third hand your first wheel should maybe not be too fast or too expensive...

The only thing I would add to Nomad's excellent comment would be that I wish I would have bought a used wheel to begin with and saved my money. No matter how much you wrap them up in foam bumper tape, your first wheel is going to get banged up as stepping off or even the occasional fall are likely during the learning process. That said, more speed and power are not necessarily your friend while you're learning. So when you're done with your starter wheel, just sell it and buy the one you want to keep.

I started with the Ninebot One E+ and while it was nice to learn on, I knew pretty quickly that I wanted something more powerful and with more range. So I ended up with an M-Super V3 and never looked back. The KS16 & KS18 wheels seem very nice as well. I hope that helps--be safe and enjoy!

@pstfch if you are unsure on EUCs, I would definitely recommend Ninebot, as they are relatively cheap these days, carry the best name value for resell, and are good  EUCs in general (albeit outdated compared to recent company models). And if you can get a good condition used Ninebot, even better!

Also, if you take a liking to EUCs, riding the Ninebot will help you realize what you value in an EUC (speed, range, weight, etc.) and how much more, relatively, you need to pay to get it.

But, as said on this thread, there are better and more innovative EUCs on the market now compared to the aging Ninebot line.

And FWIW, the KS16S and S2 are 2 different class of wheels to me.

The S2 is really meant for lightweight travel. You sacrifice long range (lesser battery WH) and top speed to keep the EUC weight down, plus the 2 batteries are under certain country flight regulations, so you can potentially board a plane with it.

The KS16S, like most 16" EUCs, are meant for a little bit of everything: the swiss army knives of EUC (off-road vs street, mid-to-long-distance range, fast but not necessarily record-breaking top speed).

Hi Tom, 

welcome to the community! I think on the S2 it might be a little bit harder to learn because it has no cushions on the sides. Especially at the beginning this gives you more control and does not hurt so much.

The KS16S might be a bit oversized, but it depends on your weight. If your weight is not more than 90kg any 800W wheel should be able to handle you. The KS16 (without S) is sold for 999€ at https://www.electro-sport.de at the moment. That's a very good price for a very good wheel. If you mind about the weight of the wheel you might choose the brand new KS14D or the older KS14C.

I started on a Ninebot E+ and I am still happy with it. The only thing is the battery, which does not have the power like in the beginning. But I think that's ok after riding 3000 km on the wheel. 

Have a great start! 

3 hours ago, One said:

I started on a Ninebot E+ and I am still happy with it.

It's still a good wheel, right?  It's my third after two crappy cheap generics, the quality of the ninebot is head and shoulders above the cheap wheels, but the price is going down.

Even though it is an older design, it seems very well made.

Thanks a lot. That really helped me.

Especially the hint that these are 2 different classes of wheels. Of course I knew this before but I like the thought that I later can use both wheels. So if I need a very compact lightweight wheel I can use my S2 and if I want to travel longer distances or faster then I can use a wheel that I will buy later. Maybe the KS16S. Could be cheaper when I buy it later this year so the total costs for the 2 wheels are only 500€ more I think. That's fine.

For the beginning I don't need so much power and speed (I weigh 75kg) and if it is a bit more difficult to learn because of the missing bumper it should be no problem for me. Maybe like learning to drive a car: learn the more difficult way with manual gear shift even if you later use mainly automatic transmission. :D

I think I will buy the S2 today directly at amazon.de
724€ incl. shipping sounds like a good price to me.

Thank you all. I will report my first experiences when it arrived to me.

Best regards,

Tom

27 minutes ago, pstfch said:

Thanks a lot. That really helped me.

Especially the hint that these are 2 different classes of wheels. Of course I knew this before but I like the thought that I later can use both wheels. So if I need a very compact lightweight wheel I can use my S2 and if I want to travel longer distances or faster then I can use a wheel that I will buy later. Maybe the KS16S. Could be cheaper when I buy it later this year so the total costs for the 2 wheels are only 500€ more I think. That's fine.

For the beginning I don't need so much power and speed (I weigh 75kg) and if it is a bit more difficult to learn because of the missing bumper it should be no problem for me. Maybe like learning to drive a car: learn the more difficult way with manual gear shift even if you later use mainly automatic transmission. :D

I think I will buy the S2 today directly at amazon.de
724€ incl. shipping sounds like a good price to me.

Thank you all. I will report my first experiences when it arrived to me.

Best regards,

Tom

When i can give you a typ:

For this Money...or 50 bucks more...you get a Inmotion V8 from China-aliexpress.

This wheel is 480wh with stable 27-30 kmh....and known to have the best Quality.....

i would choose that wheel for a S2 ALL time!

Thanks a lot.

I looked at the V8 before but it is (or looks?) too big for me.

That's why I switched to the KS16 and now to the S2.

Slim/small dimensions and design are an important criteria for me.

Best regards,

Tom

6 minutes ago, pstfch said:

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Tom

It is a 16inch wheel like the KS16, just a bit more higher, but not so wide as KS16, but therefore MUCH lighter...

I can tell you that you will be disapointed by the Speed of the S2 after a very few days when you can drive.

But OK, your choice........just wanted to give another opinion! :-)

I was in the query of S2 vs KS16s myself, and on THE FIRST DAY of riding, I realized that I needed more range and more top speed. I keep bumping into the S2's limitations all the time. Had I known this I would have shelled out for the better wheel right away. It's still fun to ride, but I just can't get what I want out of the wheel. My suggestion therefore would be for anyone to always go for the better wheel as it absolutely will pay off in the long run.

3 hours ago, Souleye said:

I was in the query of S2 vs KS16s myself, and on THE FIRST DAY of riding, I realized that I needed more range and more top speed. I keep bumping into the S2's limitations all the time. Had I known this I would have shelled out for the better wheel right away. It's still fun to ride, but I just can't get what I want out of the wheel. My suggestion therefore would be for anyone to always go for the better wheel as it absolutely will pay off in the long run.

That's exactly what i mean :-)

compairing an S2 with a KS16??  a 14" with 16"?

310wh <=> 340-520-680-840wh?

no trolley <=> trolley

you can have a ks16 from 999€-1299€  not 1600€

or s2 14" <=> ks14d at 999€ 420wh+ trolley

On 20/01/2017 at 11:18 AM, pstfch said:

The V8 is 5cm slimmer and 3cm higher than the KS16, which also makes is less voluminous. Dimension-wise I would prefer the V8, unless there is a crucial scenario where the 3cm actually matter. 

I think doing some more research might help you.

1. You can still send the Ninebot back unopened if you have doubts. It's a good wheel though (best design imho, so futuristic), so that depends on what you want to do with it (range? speed? duration of ride?). If you have kids and you want a bigger wheel later, the Ninebot is a great hand-me-down and you have good reason to buy another wheel;) The Inmotions are good Ninebot alternatives.

Here are some useful model overviews:

https://www.wheelgo.com/electric-unicycle-ultimate_ewheel_comparison_ips_airwheel_ninebot_king_song/

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle

2. Don't buy from amazon, other wheels there are terribly overpriced and you have no dealer support.

German shops: scooterhelden.de electro-sport.de

UK shops (use low GBP exchange rate! cheaper than DE): wheelgo.com speedyfeet.co.uk

3. Inflate the tire when you first get it. 2.5 bar minimum (if you're really light 70 kg) 3 bar is better. Usually they're not fully inflated.

Enjoy! I'm currently waiting for my first wheel to arrive from UK (Friday):dribble:

Archived