Received my Inmotion V8 from ewheels

rdalcanto

10 hours ago, HEC said:

This is not exact as you have first of all wheels with and without reverse flow protection on the DC charging port and you can also have more advanced designs of the chargers which will not only prevent any charging of the DC output capacitor(s)

I agree with all of this and it is good information to add. However, my first sentence was "When you connect a charger that is switched off to your wheel and get a large spark...", so I was only referring to those situations where you WILL get a spark. :)

It is important to note, that enthusiasts shouldn't simply get the idea to add a diode in series with the battery on the inside of the EUC to avoid this spark for two reasons.

1. As HEC said, the charger may need to sense voltage on its output before it starts. Some advanced chargers do this and they will not turn on if they don't see battery voltage. As an aside many intelligent chargers will only start if they detect the correct number of cells. This is an inexact science, but they will require the voltage to be within the expected range of the battery.

2. A diode will drop the voltage by 0.6v. This is not huge over 16 or more cells, but in the precise world of Lithium Ion batteries, probably not ideal. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, chopsywa said:

Hey Rdalcanto

Didn't you only order a Ninbebot One C back on the 13th December? Now you have an Inmotion V8 only 2 weeks later. Confused!

Yes.  I received the Ninebot about 10 days ago.  I quickly realized one EUC for 3 people wasn't going to be very fun, so I quickly ordered a V8 in time for Christmas.  :w00t2:

6 hours ago, chopsywa said:

I agree with all of this and it is good information to add. However, my first sentence was "When you connect a charger that is switched off to your wheel and get a large spark...", so I was only referring to those situations where you WILL get a spark. :)

I was not contradicting you. You can actually get a spark even with reverse flow protection (depending on the type / design of the DC charging plug + socket pair) though as not large or noticeable. It will still spark though with 8 - 12V difference ;) 

I had so much fun on my V8 today.  I went to two different large outdoor malls, and was going on sidewalks, along stores, in parking lots, etc.  I had to negotiate areas with snow and ice (avoiding them), cobbles, cracks, bumps, small curbs and the V8 was just awesome.  It is so smooth, turns on a dime, has great power up steep inclines, and is just so fun to ride.  I literally can't even look an our Ninebot anymore.  I've started saving up in a little EUC fund to probably buy another one for my boys.  Before going out this afternoon, I was really thinking about the V5F+, but all the cobbles, bumps, sewer covers and dips, had me really appreciating the 16 inch wheel of the V8....

11 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

I literally can't even look an our Ninebot anymore

Now that's funny.  DO go ahead and get another V8, because you are enjoying it so much.  But then again, you loved your Ninebot until yesterday.  Maybe you'll hate the V8 next week.  Don't rule out an M super V3 or some other monster, monster! Get it? 

Also, don't rule out a 14" because you think all 14" wheels are incapable of crossing a crack or two.  I've ridden my 14" where people have difficulty walking, the rocks were so big and numerous. It's a lot of fun.

This actual rock threw me off, that's why I picked it up.. Then I threw it off.. The mountain, ha, ha, ha, revenge is sweet.  But my 14" handled thousands of its little brothers, just fine.

8a6e30ce63.png

:lol:

Until yesterday, I hadn't really ridden in the "real world."  I had been on safe, smooth surfaces, like golf cart paths, bicycle paths, wooden floors, etc.  At one point yesterday, I was going along pretty fast in the shadow of a building.  I was trying to pay attention to the road, but lighting wasn't good and I noticed a manhole cover, that was maybe 2 inches below the road surface, at the last second.  Luckily, I was able to swerve around it just in time.  I think if I had gone over it, I would have been running or face planting.  For riding around and doing tricks, a 14 or 16 inch wheel is probably best.  But for commuting, I see the ideal wheel as being a 22 inch wheel with enough power you almost can't out lean it (that can handle any bump/crack/dip you may encounter), with a user selected speed limit under 20mph (so a fall is less likely to put you in the intensive care unit).  

12 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

for commuting, I see the ideal wheel as being a 22 inch wheel with enough power you almost can't out lean it

I totally agree if the resulting weight and size does not become prohibitive for the given use cases. I find size to be one of the big advantages of EUCs over bicycles, and even over a foldable bicycle which I happen to be using for years before I learned about EUCs.

2 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

I hadn't really ridden in the "real world."

Riding in the real world is great for advancing your skill and confidence level, but you must be very comfortable with your wheel to make the most of it.  Can you ride slow enough to not pass people walking slowly? Can you do tight little swerves over and over, and can you do them, maintaining a straight line, and by using different parts of your body to initiate them; feet, knees, waist, torso, shoulders, arms.? I'm serious, you can produce a turn 6 or 7 ways, and various combinations,  and you should be comfortable and natural with all of them. Can you suddenly switch direction, because your path has become blocked, without throwing yourself off?  Can you calve slaloms for hundreds of yards, again, using different parts of your body to initiate the turns. 180s 360 s figure eights.  Get really comfortable with your wheel and the terrain just becomes a thing, and not an oh shit.

The first time I rolled across loose rocky ground (10feet) it was freaky, next time it was ok, next time it was no biggie. Two month later I'm half way up mount Montgo passing hikers on a very rough trail.  Add little riding scenarios to your repertoire and make them comfortable.  That man hole cover should not present any problem at all, after all it's just 2" down and 2" up right, no bigger than some kerbs at zebra crossings. Today I wheeled along a harbour wall for about 1/2 a mile round trip.  It was 20' down on one side with no railing.  A month ago I would never have tried it, today, no biggie ( it was about 6 ' wide so no real danger, as I know I can wheel in a straight line, even with sea winds blowing me around a little, and my wheel is always tethered )

I'm not sure a 22 is the answer, it's a bit of an SUV compared to the sports car handling of most smaller wheels.  Mile muncher, sure, but fun, not so sure. But if you want an SUV, then great, but remember the monster is over 28kg, about 62 lb so you can't carry it long or far.  I carried my 13kg up and down a flight of stone steps to ride that harbour wall.  And I've had to carry it on many steps on my travels. Not sure I would do the same with 28kg. And if you hit anyone with a 62lb  machine there will be medical bills to pay at a minimum . 2c

It seems a rather general observation that at some point in a learning curve, overconfidence and complacency become the main source of failure. It is probably worth while trying to diminish these.

@SMoother - yes, I feel that I have very good control over the wheel.  I have spent a lot of time in a 40x20ft room, doing nothing but riding around and between orange cones setup every way imaginable.  I can do tight turns, 360s, figure 8s, etc., until the cows come home.  I can ride backwards and idle.  Today I started doing backwards circles (still need to get more comfortable on that one).  Yesterday, I had no problems going very slowly behind people walking, and squeezing through the tightest spaces with perfect control.  The only thing I am not comfortable with, is trusting the wheel to handle bumps, rocks, etc.  I'm sure that will come with experience and exposure to different conditions as I ride outside more (old man winter is not cooperating very much).

18 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

The only thing I am not comfortable with, is trusting the wheel to handle bumps, rocks, etc.

If you are soft in the knees and soften them even further on impact, the wheel is surprisingly good at it. To my feeling it is better than a bicycle with the same sized wheels (maybe not for rocks though). My explanation is that it can actively climb out of potholes and over bumps.

@rdalcantoas you seem to start getting bored by now, I have two suggestions:

1) try everything you can do already (a) while looking into the sky or the ceiling and (b) with closed eyes (open the eyes once in a while for 1/2 seconds to remain orientation in the room and not bump into something). Both is surprisingly difficult in the beginning and I do believe these are excellent exercises to improve general balancing skills.

2) Look (straight focus) 180º behind you while riding straight (both, riding forward and backward as well as looking over the left and right). I need to turn not only my head and shoulders, but also the hips to achieve this. It is a very useful "trick" for the "real world".

Sorry, i didnt read the entire thread but im just wondering, instead of practicing so much in the room trying to simukate situations and prepare for the real world, why not just come out and try the real world and learn on the fly?  Seems like @rdalcanto is skillful enough having practiced in the room, to be outside and take on whatever the real world can throw at him.

1 hour ago, rdalcanto said:

trusting the wheel to handle bumps, rocks, etc.  I'm sure that will come with experience and exposure to different conditions as I ride outside more (old man winter is not cooperating very much).

It will for sure, especially with the level of control you already have.  Like @Smoother said, over time you will feel more and more comfortable riding over small obstacles and rough ground.  A good place to practice is an unpaved hike/bike trail, generally pretty smooth with the occasional bump or depression.

Spots I used to get off and walk the wheel through eventually became no problem to ride through, took me awhile, though.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Sorry, i didnt read the entire thread but im just wondering, instead of practicing so much in the room trying to simukate situations and prepare for the real world, why not just come out and try the real world and learn on the fly?  Seems like @rdalcanto is skillful enough having practiced in the room, to be outside and take on whatever the real world can throw at him.

Too much snow!  :crying:

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

Maybe you'll hate the V8 next week.  Don't rule out an M super V3 or some other monster, monster! Get it? 

Dam you Smoother!!!!  Now you got me looking at M Supers!  Don't you know I have a serious cool toy buying habit!  :crying:

Luckily, they seem to be so big and heavy, that I probably wouldn't buy one without trying it first....  :ph34r:

On 12/23/2016 at 3:20 PM, rdalcanto said:

Charger update!

So the charger wasn't actually charging, even though the battery gauge on the wheel was scrolling as though it was charging.  LEDs on the charger were on, but the fan wasn't turning on (I thought the fan was on a thermostat).  The instructions, which are clearly translated from Chinese to English, say to plug into the wheel first, then the outlet.  As a fluke, I unplugged it from the wheel with it in the outlet, and then plugged it back into the wheel, and the charger fan kicked on.  Definitely charging right now (both LEDs red, before they were one red and one green).  I don't want to unplug anything to further test my theory about plug in order being important (and backwards in the manual) until I'm fully charged.  With the Christmas weekend, if I need a replacement charger, it clearly won't get here until next week, so I'm going for a full charge right now.  That is what I get for reading the instructions.  :rolleyes:  I never would have plugged into the wheel before the outlet had I not read that.  :angry:

The instructions that come with the V8 charger are wrong. They say to plug your wheel in first, then attach it to the wall. Doing it that way makes the battery indicator appear to charge but it doesn't.   You have to plug it into the wall first and then your wheel.  The charging unit will actually make quite a loud noise like  it's taking off when charging.   I didn't ride my V8 for 3 days when I first got it because I couldn't figure out the charging situation.

Enjoy your V8!  I do mine!

@rdalcanto I'm not ashamed to say you are already a better rider than me. I can't idle,, I can't ride backwards.  Having too much fun going forwards but one, day, one day, I swear I'll start practicing. I'm not sure I want to try @Mono s recent advice, sounds like a face plant to go. My old body can't turn around that much standing on solid ground, and the last time I closed my eyes while riding, I did a real face plant onto concrete  and got up with my glasses embedded in my forehead.  No lie.  I Was about 7 on a bicycle.

snow! No problem, you saw the chooch  video in snow.  Easy peasy lemon  Squeezy.  Besides, snow is soft to fall on.  Then you'll have one more riding trick I can't do. ?

8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

snow! No problem, you saw the chooch  video in snow.  Easy peasy lemon  Squeezy.  Besides, snow is soft to fall on.  

The roads have been pretty well plowed at this point, but they are covered in salt and dried de-icing residue.  I'm trying to figure out in another thread if riding on those roads will corrode my wheel.  That concern is the only thing holding me back at this point....:whistling:

2 hours ago, Tim Koffler said:

The instructions that come with the V8 charger are wrong. They say to plug your wheel in first, then attach it to the wall. Doing it that way makes the battery indicator appear to charge but it doesn't.   You have to plug it into the wall first and then your wheel.  The charging unit will actually make quite a loud noise like  it's taking off when charging.   I didn't ride my V8 for 3 days when I first got it because I couldn't figure out the charging situation.

Enjoy your V8!  I do mine!

The reason might actually be the charger: my V8 charges regardless which side of the charger I plug first. I have the "default generic" 1.5A charger.

8 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

The roads have been pretty well plowed at this point, but they are covered in salt and dried de-icing residue.  I'm trying to figure out in another thread if riding on those roads will corrode my wheel.  That concern is the only thing holding me back at this point....:whistling:

That's a valid point, and I suspect no good can come of road salt and an EUC aluminium wheel, which does not have to meet any manufacturing standards, like a car wheel would..  However, if you find a nice sports field or park, I know they won't salt those, and... They're perfectly flat, so no hidden surprises. Also, I love the way snow deadens the sound of everything.

13 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Don't you know I have a serious cool toy buying habit!  :crying:

Who doesn't!? your garage must look like every adult male going on 13s Aladdins cave of treasure/toys. You even made me lust after a fat tyre bike, and snow, and I don't even have a thin tyre bike! Who dreams of snow when vacationing in sunny Spain? Damn you right back, or as Capt Kirk might say; "a double damn on you" ?

Oh and don't take that Ninebot out in the snow if you're going to sell it to mr. Chicago. You did tell him it was "like new" , not "like newly fallen snow."

22 hours ago, Mono said:

(b) with closed eyes (open the eyes o

Ok. I said I'd never try this but I was out today and I found myself In a fairly wide area (20 feet) and very long, so I tried it.  Wow. It was amazing.  I only needed to open my eyes to make sure I wasn't going to run into anything.  Later, In a wideish plaza I counted to 15 before I felt compelled to open my eyes, and that was because I was freaking out I might hit something.  As @Mono says, try it ( in a safe place) . I found that sight had nothing to do with balancing on an EUC.  I wouldn't recommend it to your blind friends though.?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I found that sight had nothing to do with balancing on an EUC.

It's probably because you didn't go slowly. With closed eyes, it is much harder to adjust balancing to different speeds, because you have no direct input information what your actual speed is. In particular switching forward to backward I find much more difficult with closed eyes.

Archived