Going backwards

Flash

Going backwards , as hard to learn as going onewheel first time ?

Going nuts is easy but it won't help me going backwards , I can't say I tried to much , just some today and it's not easy

Any suggestions ?   Just do it !    ?

congrats!

obviously driving backwards is hard for the brain! i fail all the time...

if you want to "correct" you have to do it in the other direction than on driving forward...

can you give a tip how to overcome this? how to learn, how you have to react to get going?

thanx!

Trust me its not easy but once you get it - you wont forget how.. It took me awhile and few number of falls including hurting my wrists but it was well worth it. One tip I would advice where protection- helmet, and wrist guards specially.

When riding backwards the best way to start is to ride forward come to a stop and lean a bit backwards... it will get you in motion.. Then the hard part is convincing your brain that you will not fall....

Here's a video of me 2 days after I got it right... I would say jump to the 3:25 mark....

Starting to backride i have no problem, as i am able to stay on one point by idling...

so i start to go backwards..get two or three meters...but as soon when i have to correct my riding path...its over...

and there is no progression :-) thats why i asked if there is perhaps a trick to overcome this vice versa/brain conflict....

btw: cool video!

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Starting to backride i have no problem, as i am able to stay on one point by idling...

so i start to go backwards..get two or three meters...but as soon when i have to correct my riding path...its over...

and there is no progression :-) thats why i asked if there is perhaps a trick to overcome this vice versa/brain conflict....

btw: cool video!

Ahh makes sense - I had that same problem... No tricks just keep practicing.... It's the brain telling you you'll fall..After awhile you'll get it. That's what happened to me at least.

Thanks for the compliment!

8 hours ago, FLASH said:

Going backwards , as hard to learn as going onewheel first time ?

Going nuts is easy but it won't help me going backwards , I can't say I tried to much , just some today and it's not easy

Any suggestions ?   Just do it !    ?

You just have to keep trying. I went to a parking lot and literally did it for 3 hours before it started to click. There are a couple tricks you can try (twisting your hips when you feel like you falling), but it mostly a matter of trying over and over until you get it.

• 2 weeks later...

After about five non consecutive days of no more than thirty minutes per day I made a video of how I looked today. It started to feel more confident on the fifth day. Standing up a little straighter today helped. (Google drive - public URL)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B07we0osMR1zSXB0d3lIVmJPYmM/view?usp=drivesdk

Breathless, near fear and slightly out of control.

This video was posted before on another thread but what the hell. I found that focusing my eyes on an object, in this case a parking lot line, helped to keep my other disruptive thoughts to a minimum. This  allowed me to become more relaxed while practicing reverse.

8 hours ago, 16bitSprite said:

My advice ...

Don't practice by traveling up and down a hallway.... unless you like patching up foot pedal shaped holes in gyprock.

Definitely agree and would add: don't practice in the kitchen either, unless you can convince your wife the dents in the dishwasher are panel lines that were always there!

Learn to go back, I separate it into four exercises, 1 First mount 0 klm and use a wall or railing, my experience is put La Mirada to the Horizon and avoid looking down, and train horn gain confidence,

2 Learning the reversal Backwards, Back and forth, back and forth, in my case, it happens that paragraph direction switch direction the wheel tilts One 20 lateral Grades and we must be attentive to counter this Inclination with a little leg Force Correspondent, without forgetting Looking at Horizon and train asta Learning,

3 is Learn to turn your head to the direction of travel, Backwards, because it is difficult and control is lost legs

4 Ultima is make Turns One Left or Right, I think, for those who already knew skating, will be easier to learn, little by little is achieved, Later I'll A Translation with Google, sorry for the inconvenience, translated by google, I am innocent

Para Aprender a ir hacia atras, yo lo separo en cuatro Ejercicios, 1 Primero montar  0 klm y utilizar Una pared o barandilla, mi Experiencia es Poner La Mirada al Horizonte y Evitar Mirar abajo, y entrenar asta coger confianza,

2 Aprender el cambio de sentido Hacia Atrás, Atrás y adelante, adelante y Atrás, en mi Caso, me Pasa Qué al interruptor párrafo de sentido de Dirección, La Rueda del SE Inclina Uno 20 Grados lateral Y Hay Que Estar atento para contrarrestar esta Inclinación Con Un Poco de Fuerza de la Correspondiente  pierna, sin olvidar Mirar al Horizonte  y entrenar asta Aprender,

3 es Aprender a Girar la Cabeza Hacia el SENTIDO de la marcha, Hacia Atrás, porque es dificil y se pierde el control de las piernas

4 La Ultima es hacer Giros una Derecha o Izquierda, Creo , Que para los que ya sabíamos patinar, sera mas Fácil Aprender, Poco a Poco Y Se consigue, Más tarde Haré Una Traducción con Google, Perdón Por las molestias 

There's one aspect regarding turning while riding backwards, which is kind of reversed and needs some getting used too.. When riding normally, you turn your body (face) to the direction you are going to turn, quite logical, isn't it. But riding backwards, as you are facing "wrong" way, you must turn your body to the other side ( which is the correct side, considering the direction of travel of course). So, to turn to right, you must turn your body to left - which makes sense, as you are traveling backwards, but not so, as it is opposite move to forward riding. ;) 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Backwards for me was much harder to learn. I took me only five minutes to ride forward, but took about ten days to learn backward, and I almost gave up. Once I was able to turn, the progress was fast for back and forth and idling. This video was me more than two years ago.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzk5NTkwMjE2.html

Whoa ! Work that motor !! That looks like a lot of amps going on there :) I assume you idle these days much more slowly and gracefully, to stress your hardware less ?

31 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Whoa ! Work that motor !! That looks like a lot of amps going on there :) I assume you idle these days much more slowly and gracefully, to stress your hardware less ?

Actually not very much on that video, but I can idling very hard to let my MCM2 yield. I once almost killed my Msuper V3 by idling(current > 120Amps)

On 10/7/2016 at 9:24 PM, Rehab1 said:

This video was posted before on another thread but what the hell. I found that focusing my eyes on an object, in this case a parking lot line, helped to keep my other disruptive thoughts to a minimum. This  allowed me to become more relaxed while practicing reverse.

I think thats what worked for me as well! Focus!!

1 hour ago, zlymex said:

Backwards for me was much harder to learn. I took me only five minutes to ride forward, but took about ten days to learn backward, and I almost gave up. Once I was able to turn, the progress was fast for back and forth and idling. This video was me more than two years ago.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzk5NTkwMjE2.html

I'm surprised that motor didn't toss you away!

On 10/7/2016 at 10:03 PM, 16bitSprite said:

I learnt by traveling up and down the hallway.

My advice ...

Don't practice by traveling up and down a hallway.... unless you like patching up foot pedal shaped holes in gyprock.

:wacko:

haha that is funny!!

Archived