Ninebot One E + will not turn on by pressing the on/off red button but can be turned on by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery

Jonathan Tolhurst

Since lunchtime, my Ninebot E+ will not turn on by pressing the on/off red button. This occurred after a reasonably rough drop off a sloped box on to which I had hopped on to.

Occasionally if I press the button the red ring lights will come on for around 20 seconds (but the NB does not function), after which the lights go off again.

The only way I can get the NB to turn on is by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting the battery. On reconnecting the battery, the NB turns itself on and functions normally.
Once on, the on/off red button appears to turn off the NB normally but, on further investigation the control board still has power as a blue light is still on and there is a red light flashing (although the self balancing has been turned off).

I have performed a basic inspection of the connections (and condition of the wires) between the battery and control board, the on/off switch and control board and the control board and motor.

I have swapped the battery (both are charged) and get the same issue.

I assume the on/off button is some kind of momentary switch?

I will do some in depth investigation this weekend but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

The button is a momentary switch.  You could unplug the switch from the Mother Board and use a paperclip or something to make a momentary contact on the switch terminals.  If it operates normally, you would know your switch has died.

Not sure where to get it in London, but in the US, it's here:

https://www.forwardca.com/collections/accessories/products/ninebot-one-replacement-power-button

Ian at Speedyfeet.uk might also have them, but it's not listed on the site.

I wonder whether an electronic power relay might be faulty.  I would imagine that the power switch activates a circuit temporarily to trigger the relay to turn on the bot.  If the power switch works fine when the battery is reconnected it likely is fine, but the relay might be not switching properly?   Check to see if the capacitors and other components (connectors, etc) are still well connected as a flakey connection might also be a culprit. 

Maybe one of our electronics non-expert enthusiasts can comment on this behaviour.

From what I read, disconnecting the battery and reconnecting causes it to turn on, not pushing the button again.  I would suspect a shorted switch.

I believe the red lights coming on is because the button is being held ON (by a short).  This is placing the wheel into Calibration Mode.

After changing your switch, be sure to verify your calibration in the app before taking off so you know if it's been recalibrated to the wrong settings, thus throwing you off.

@SuperSport @HunkaHunkaBurningLove Thank you for the replies. I tried using a paperclip on the contacts but it behaves in exactly the same way as pressing the on/off button in its current state - it appears to turn the wheel off the control board still has power as a blue light is still on and there is a red light flashing (although the self balancing has been turned off). I have had a closer inspection of the wiring and circuitry but can't see anything broken. With circuits it's often the case that you are unable to see any visual signs of damage.

If the control board needs replacing, I'll need to weigh up whether it makes more sense to replace the whole wheel as I also need to replace the two inner shells (both have several cracks), the handle (snapped off months ago - replaced with a rope handle), the wheel rim (has a dent), plus I'm due to replace the foot plates and battery covers anyhow. Fortunately, I have been putting a few pennies aside each month in case I needed to do this :)

If so, I'm not sure I'll definitely stick with Ninebot even though I think the E+ is an amazing wheel. I have been unable to source certain parts recently (E.g. NB1 E+ GEN1 inner shells) - Speedyfeet have not appeared to have had a delivery of new parts for several months - last time I emailed Ian he said that spare parts (other than those listed on the website) are supposed to be available around the Sep/October time frame at the EU warehouse. I have noticed that Speedyfeet is no longer listed in the distributor section of the Ninebot website. With my style of riding (doing tricks etc) it's necessary to be able to readily source replacement parts and fix or change them myself. I wouldn't blame Speedyfeet if they stopped bothering to stock the extensive range of parts that they have held in the past, especially if there's no longer a solid commitment from Ninebot.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Yes, get something different, anything in mind?

Not really yet, I would want something that is very hard wearing, suitable for skate park tricks, easy to maintain and a brand that I am able to easily source replacement parts (in the UK). The trouble is that the E+ is a really good wheel for doing tricks. Any suggestions?

33 minutes ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

Not really yet, I would want something that is very hard wearing, suitable for skate park tricks, easy to maintain and a brand that I am able to easily source replacement parts (in the UK). The trouble is that the E+ is a really good wheel for doing tricks. Any suggestions?

No idea about suitability for tricks (although it's very slim which I assume helps) but having owned my V5f+ for a couple of weeks now I can comfortably say it's the best wheel if I've ever used. Not just owned, USED. It's just fantastic. You're welcome to have a go if you're based in London.... - although no strenuous tricks allowed on 'Vanessa'!  ?

@Jonathan Tolhurst You have mentioned in previous posts on how you have developed a complete awareness of your NB while performing your stunts, which is definately evident! If you end up with a new wheel such a the V5F + there will be a big transition!  I certainly don't have your skill level but do own both wheels and just the difference in pedal heights and thinking about the 1000's of repetitive, muscle memory motions you have performed it would certainly impact your stunts initially.  If I ride my NB1 for a few days and then jump on the V5F+ (or visa versa)  my sematosensory is all screwed up. Bummer Iam is unable to keep you stocked with parts! I  love both of my wheels and you would totally enjoy the V5F+ especially the nimbleness  and lower weight. Your skill level may even go up a notch...if that is possible?

59 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Jonathan Tolhurst You have mentioned in previous posts on how you have developed a complete awareness of your NB while performing your stunts, which is definately evident! If you end up with a new wheel such a the V5F + there will be a big transition!  I certainly don't have your skill level but do own both wheels and just the difference in pedal heights and thinking about the 1000's of repetitive, muscle memory motions you have performed it would certainly impact your stunts initially.  If I ride my NB1 for a few days and then jump on the V5F+ (or visa versa)  my sematosensory is all screwed up. Bummer Iam is unable to keep you stocked with parts! I  love both of my wheels and you would totally enjoy the V5F+ especially the nimbleness  and lower weight. Your skill level may even go up a notch...if that is possible?

@Rehab1 - that's the dilemma! One of my other passions is kayaking and I have suffered similar issues when I've changed paddles. Once movements have become autonomous it's quite challenging to change them. I have been looking in how I can further improve my consistency with some moves and it all comes down to controlling as many of the variables as possible, having some kind of a continuous review/improvement cycle and then repetition. The V5F+ looks like a really good machine (thanks for the offer of a trial @Paddylaz - I might have to take you up on that, I promise not to try any tricks :)). 

24 minutes ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

@Rehab1 - that's the dilemma! One of my other passions is kayaking and I have suffered similar issues when I've changed paddles. Once movements have become autonomous it's quite challenging to change them. I have been looking in how I can further improve my consistency with some moves and it all comes down to controlling as many of the variables as possible, having some kind of a continuous review/improvement cycle and then repetition. The V5F+ looks like a really good machine (thanks for the offer of a trial @Paddylaz - I might have to take you up on that, I promise not to try any tricks :)). 

No worries at all. Again, not that I have any credentials when it comes to tricks but the unusually high pedal height of the v5f makes extremely tight circling a breeze, which I assume could only be an advantage for anyone who is into tricks/advanced manoeuvres.

4 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

@MaxLinux had a truck run over his so it must be pretty tough!

I was amazed by how tough the IPS 121 is constructed. After it was run over DIRECTLY by the rear wheels of a dualie pickup truck, I was able to ride it home! The only damage I could detect was a few small cracks in the shell.

4 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It might be too heavy though?

I can carry the IPS 191 or 121 about half a block without problems. To carry it for longer distances or to take on a plane, bus, etc. it would be a bit too heavy, in my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. In the end I just decided to order a new E+ as it's a fantastic wheel (that I understand very well) and I can obviously reuse all of my accessories (trolley handle/spare battery/inner tube/tire etc), plus the price has dropped. I may try to resurrect my old wheel with a new control board at some point (replacing the on/off switch did not resolve the issue), although there's lots of other parts that also need repairing or replacing. I'll pick up my new wheel from Speedyfeet in the next few days, hopefully there is not too much difference between firmware 1.3.5 and 1.4.0 with respect to tricks :) 

Archived