Weird noise?

Gormash

I've tested my new Ninebot One E+ now, and it gives off a loud, grinding noise that's rather distracting.

I've checked the wheel, and nothing seems to be stuck inside.

Anyone else experienced the same?

Ahhhh. That  was the other problem with the NB1 they forgot to mention!

. Only joking ;-) seriously though, have you checked the tire pressure, it looks like Ninebots are delivered with quite low tire pressure which could be causing the tire to rub against the case. Needs to be at least 35p.s.i., 45p.s.i. If heavy.

@Keith: I tried the wheel "as is" and didn't much like it. Hard to turn, though very stable. Since I didn't get a pump extender with the wheel (been promised one for monday next) I ripped off the light ring and fought  my way to pump up the wheel through the hole there. Got it up to 45 PSI and it now turns on a dime and feels much better to ride on, though I must concentrate a little more to keep balance (I like it that way).
The sound persisted, though...

@z3n: Wow! That is WAY more involved than I had hoped. The process doesn't look hard, though. Not sure how to open up the cover, never seen that before. I'll have to look through the Ninebot UK videos and see if I find anything.
Thanks for showing me this, by the way. I really appreciate it. I hate that old-washing-machine sound the wheel makes now.

The SpeedyFeet video is about solving a noise problem that occurs when you are heavy and ride on one leg. On your video, it appears that the noise occurs when you are riding on your 2 feet. I suggest that you do not rush on the trick proposed by SpeedyFeet without first making absolutely sure that nothing is trapped between the tire and the carter.

15 minutes ago, Gil said:

The SpeedyFeet video is about solving a noise problem that occurs when you are heavy and ride on one leg. On your video, it appears that the noise occurs when you are riding on your 2 feet. I suggest that you do not rush on the trick proposed by SpeedyFeet without first making absolutely sure that nothing is trapped between the tire and the carter.

I don't know if I'm considered heavy, weighing in at about 84 kg. Isn't that rather normal for a middleaged old git like me?
And yes, I ride using two feet.

Contacted the seller and will have to see what they say.

Sounds like something stuck inside.  Some small things are hard to see.  I've had small twigs inside that you cannot see at all.  They eventually fell out, but a small rock or something might be in there.

If not, then you might have the issue on the SpeedyFeet video.  Would be strange so early though.  Since it's under warranty still, I'd take it back and have them fix it or replace it.  If you get too deep inside, your warranty might be void.

Strange... I took off the trolley handle attachment and everything worked perfectly.

Could the screws be going so far in as to grind against the wheel? Strange, considering it is the original screws that came with the handle.

3 minutes ago, Gormash said:

Strange... I took off the trolley handle attachment and everything worked perfectly.

Could the screws be going so far in as to grind against the wheel? Strange, considering it is the original screws that came with the handle.

Really strange... Didn't you get some screws later from topseller? Are those the right length? It is not a problem to get some stainless screws anyway (Clas Ohlson?).

59 minutes ago, Gormash said:

Just a guess. You might have used the screws that don't have the lock washers.

5 hours ago, Vik's said:

Really strange... Didn't you get some screws later from topseller? Are those the right length? It is not a problem to get some stainless screws anyway (Clas Ohlson?).

There are two things that need to be attached: The bracket, and the clamp that hold the handle and which is screwed to the bracket. I got two screws that fit the bracket perfectly and attached that, but I'm guessing they were too long?

12 minutes ago, Gormash said:

There are two things that need to be attached: The bracket, and the clamp that hold the handle and which is screwed to the bracket. I got two screws that fit the bracket perfectly and attached that, but I'm guessing they were too long?

Here's my trolley handle. Never had any problem.

2qlg7xu.jpg

On 27/08/2016 at 7:28 AM, Gormash said:

@steve454: Nothing wrong there. I had just been playing around with the light app and that is what I ended up with... For now.

I don't really like extremely flashy lights, like rainbows circling around and suchlike.

I disabled the effects when I had a NB as I think they are tacky. I only used the lights as a battery indicator when stopped. You can also use them as a brake light but I wasn't interested in that either.

I'm glad you sussed out what the noise was but it's strange that attachment screws would cause that. I didn't have the trolley handle but had the, useless, stand and took that off in favour of two attachment brackets for lights when I was travelling to work at 5am :)

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

Here's my trolley handle. Never had any problem.

2qlg7xu.jpg

How on earth did you safely attach the bar on the back? I've only seen one screw-hole for attackment on the back of my EUC, and the bracket to hold the handle require two.

12 minutes ago, Gormash said:

How on earth did you safely attach the bar on the back? I've only seen one screw-hole for attackment on the back of my EUC, and the bracket to hold the handle require two.

The NineBot E+ and the P have two holes.

16 minutes ago, Gormash said:

It should have two holes like what is shown in this picture.

1z6dpo8.jpg

Archived