gotway mcm v3 35km/h cut off :(

I'll start off by I wasn't trying to find mcm v3 limit, but it came to that... at 35km/h the wheel cut off (my own fault in a way), but I was flying, literally....

Not sure how to sum it up but as certain speed the wheel just cut  loose and I had no time time to react (turned out 35km/h), all I remember I lending on my left arm... No major damage, Totally my own fault for pushing the wheel so far, but boy 35 km/h felt fast. Looking into motorcycle leather jacket/ helmet, knee pads and worst guards.

Im just honestly amazed at mcm v3 capability, 30km/h speed very safely going most of the time to work/ back (7km distance).

Just sharing my exerpience, thats all.

Very capable wheel at very cheap price point, but looking into acm 16.

IMG_0777.PNG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These threads about faceplanting at 35-45 kmph ant no major damages.. I think now it's actually safer to fall at these higher speeds than at 20-25 kmph, actually it makes sense now that I think about it. I flew off a bike at 30+ going down hill and had just a couple of bruises. But when I fell around 20kmph I nearly broke my wrist! It seems like skateboard and inlines etc. low speed falls are the most dangerous. Even high speed motorcycle accidents usually get away with nothing serious, just fly and glide on the ground...

Although lower speed of course decreases the risk of falling at all, I guess the ultimate goal is never falling and that's easier to achieve the lower the speed you keep. But if the accident happens...

That is a really interesting idea. Could it be something like this... In 20 km/h, you almost manage to run from the fall, but if you fail doing so, your body position somehow makes your face hit the ground first. When you fall at high speed, you have no time preparing to avoid the fall, so you fall straight, distributing the landing over your full body... Really no science behind this reasoning. Just trying to find some logic explanation. :)

Sorry...but i think thats absolut nonsense.....the higher the Speed, such easier the fall? take a look around in the linked thread down-under, quys!

Some Hand/arms that will never go back to it's normal state...also look the rest of the thread, some other nice Pictures there....

I dont think it is an Advantage if your complete Body slams in the ground...i broke 3 rips by doing that, also you are not able to control your head any more...so pure luck if it does not Smash on the ground, also

I don't think faster speeds are safer by any means. I think it all depends how we fall, you have almost no time time to decide how you will fall, but you do have to make a choice how you'll fall. You will hurt yourself one way or another when falling (not sure if it make sense but I have resently fell 2 times and I had this short, very short window to make decision), you can sort of prepare for the fall. Scars are almost done :))

3 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

I don't think faster speeds are safer by any means. I think it all depends how we fall, you have almost no time time to decide how you will fall, but you do have to make a choice how you'll fall. You will hurt yourself one way or another when falling (not sure if it make sense but I have resently fell 2 times and I had this short, very short window to make decision), you can sort of prepare for the fall. Scars are almost done :))

Falling at the higher speed is undoubtedly potentially much more dangerous than slower speeds, but as strange as it is going to sound, i am actually not sure that making eucs capable to reaching higher max speeds are less safe. As the max speed increases so should the rider's awareness, alertness, riding conditions, protective gear, behavior, etc. i believe the the circumstances will adjust based on the max attainable speed. Someone can get hurt falling at 5kph, if no protective gear is used and the person falls the wrong way. In contrast, someone falling at 40kmh, if properly protected may come out of it without a scratch. Whats more important is being alert and prepared for the fall. The perception of the "dangerous" speed has been changing in the last 2 years. At first below about 10kph was considered a safer speed, then 18kph. Now, its an almost common concept that as long as you dont exceed 30kph you are is a relaively safer zone. Tomorrow, as the laws get sorted out and a safer environment is provided for riding, riders use better safety gear and the eucs have battery protection incorporated,  this limit will increase to 40kph and higher. In my opinion It is very difficult to predict how the increase in the max speed will affect the accident statistics, as so many related factors come into play.

22 hours ago, Cloud said:

Falling at the higher speed is undoubtedly potentially much more dangerous than slower speeds, but as strange as it is going to sound, i am actually not sure that making eucs capable to reaching higher max speeds are less safe. As the max speed increases so should the rider's awareness, alertness, riding conditions, protective gear, behavior, etc. i believe the the circumstances will adjust based on the max attainable speed. Someone can get hurt falling at 5kph, if no protective gear is used and the person falls the wrong way. In contrast, someone falling at 40kmh, if properly protected may come out of it without a scratch. Whats more important is being alert and prepared for the fall. The perception of the "dangerous" speed has been changing in the last 2 years. At first below about 10kph was considered a safer speed, then 18kph. Now, its an almost common concept that as long as you dont exceed 30kph you are is a relaively safer zone. Tomorrow, as the laws get sorted out and a safer environment is provided for riding, riders use better safety gear and the eucs have battery protection incorporated,  this limit will increase to 40kph and higher. In my opinion It is very difficult to predict how the increase in the max speed will affect the accident statistics, as so many related factors come into play.

After reading of many issues about speed and safety, I tried to have a better understanding so I said here I am on a trapdoor below my feet which will suddenly open by rotating, not sliding that too easy, so I'll fall from a certain heigth (H) tilting forward.

And this is not the worst because as H increase you have time to react while falling from the wheel you have 0.15mt always which is no time at all, so you have to think to fall almost like a dead body

So what's the H value, by comparing kinetic energy and gravity potential energy, you have:

H = 0.5 * V*V/g  , H: heigth meters, V: speed mt/sec = km*1000/(Hours*3600), g: gravity 9.81 mt/sec^2

Here some numbers

V km/h    5,00    10,00    15,00    20,00    25,00    30,00    35,00    40,00
H mt         0,10    0,39     0,88      1,57     2,46     3,54        4,82     6,29

have you ever been at the swimming pool on the 2 mt, 3 mt, 5 mt platform? OK now take the water away and put some solid ground and tell me which protections to use for a  dead fall from 5 or 6 mt ! :D 

Follow me around for a day as I see patients and I can tell you that the higher the speed=  greater momentum = increased bodily damage!

11 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

There is never Safe, it is all a risk. Riding a bike, Running, ECU etc., we should only try to be as safe as possible while still enjoying life :))

True !! there is risk walking the sidewalk, risk walking on the edge of a cottage roof, risk walking the edge of a building roof, risk walking the edge of a skyscraper,... etc.... it's not about risk it's about probability and consequences !!! 

I enjoy EUC knowing it's risky but I do not want to push over a certain amount of probable damage while I know that I cannot do anything about the manufacturer reliability!

Then if you have bad luck that's it, your destiny is yours, and so on .....

35km/ h was pushed on purpose per say, it just came by accident more so, still I was surprised what the wheel was capable of and lucky/ blessed to walk away with minimal scrapes :))

the wheel is sold now and New ACM is on its way (thanks to myfunwheel.com)... 

I'll be a lot more safe and better protected :))

Riding the concrete bike trail today I went through a large patch of fine sand that was in the shade of a tree so I didn't see it.  Going about 8 mph as soon as I hit it the sand slowed the wheel so much that I flew off landing on one knee and my palms.  Luckily wearing Hillbilly gloves with wrist protectors and skid pads on the palms, got no injury at all.  It happened so fast like the blink of an eye.  The sand was about one to one and a half inches deep, the length of it was about 4 or 5 feet.  If I had seen it i might have been prepared for it, first time going through sand that deep on the concrete.

On 26/08/2016 at 0:27 PM, nomad said:

These threads about faceplanting at 35-45 kmph ant no major damages.. I think now it's actually safer to fall at these higher speeds than at 20-25 kmph, actually it makes sense now that I think about it. I flew off a bike at 30+ going down hill and had just a couple of bruises. But when I fell around 20kmph I nearly broke my wrist! It seems like skateboard and inlines etc. low speed falls are the most dangerous. Even high speed motorcycle accidents usually get away with nothing serious, just fly and glide on the ground...

There could be another factor. At higher speeds your falling trajectory is more parallel to the ground; thus you will kind of bounce on the ground and the energy will not be 100% absorbed by the *first* impact. This is a better situation for the bones. But certainly a worse one for the unprotected skin...

On September 5, 2016 at 7:05 PM, steve454 said:

Riding the concrete bike trail today I went through a large patch of fine sand that was in the shade of a tree so I didn't see it.  Going about 8 mph as soon as I hit it the sand slowed the wheel so much that I flew off landing on one knee and my palms.  Luckily wearing Hillbilly gloves with wrist protectors and skid pads on the palms, got no injury at all.  It happened so fast like the blink of an eye.  The sand was about one to one and a half inches deep, the length of it was about 4 or 5 feet.  If I had seen it i might have been prepared for it, first time going through sand that deep on the concrete.

Sand and fine gravel one of the worst things for the wheel (bikes, rollerblades). Many years in riding rollerblades/ bikes though me one Big lesson: pay very, very close attention to the road. I have fallen many times (not not the wheel) and you are right, it happens instantly. Glad you all right.

On September 6, 2016 at 5:49 AM, Lef38 said:

There could be another factor. At higher speeds your falling trajectory is more parallel to the ground; thus you will kind of bounce on the ground and the energy will not be 100% absorbed by the *first* impact. This is a better situation for the bones. But certainly a worse one for the unprotected skin...

I'm looking into soft body Guard protection, The best thing about it, it goes very easy under most jackets and I can use it for snowboarding :))

bodyGuard.jpg

bodyGuard2.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2016 at 9:17 PM, EricGhost said:

So what's the H value, by comparing kinetic energy and gravity potential energy, you have:

H = 0.5 * V*V/g  , H: heigth meters, V: speed mt/sec = km*1000/(Hours*3600), g: gravity 9.81 mt/sec^2

Here some numbers

V km/h    5,00    10,00    15,00    20,00    25,00    30,00    35,00    40,00
H mt         0,10    0,39     0,88      1,57     2,46     3,54        4,82     6,29

have you ever been at the swimming pool on the 2 mt, 3 mt, 5 mt platform? OK now take the water away and put some solid ground and tell me which protections to use for a  dead fall from 5 or 6 mt ! :D 

Nice table. Small nitpicking: better use m instead of mt for meter (as in km). The table illustrates really well that the crucial scare transition comes between 20 and 25km/h. Jumping down from 1.5m is just about manageable, jumping from 2.5m only maybe if you are very well trained to do so or quite lucky. 

On the upside: contrary to jumping down, when crashing with an EUC a significant part of the kinetic energy is not absorbed in the moment when hitting the ground, because in most case we continue sliding on the ground with some relevant remaining speed.

On 07/09/2016 at 3:27 PM, yourtoys7 said:

I'm looking into soft body Guard protection

Excellent idea. Perfect for the more powerful wheels, I'd say. Lots of padding (ideal for skeletally thin people like me) without the weight and discomfort of a full leather bike suit. I'm going to order some of that for use with my MSV3.

On 2016/8/30 at 4:50 AM, Cloud said:

Falling at the higher speed is undoubtedly potentially much more dangerous than slower speeds, but as strange as it is going to sound, i am actually not sure that making eucs capable to reaching higher max speeds are less safe. As the max speed increases so should the rider's awareness, alertness, riding conditions, protective gear, behavior, etc. i believe the the circumstances will adjust based on the max attainable speed. ........

Agreed very much. There is another factor making the high speed more risky, that is the torque spikes.
The torque that an EUC produces is constantly changing because
 - the rider apply changing forces on the pedals in order to keep balance
 - the road is not perfect
 - the rider may accelerate or decelerate on purpose
The faster the speed, the larger the torque necessary.

I made a test for voltage and current by a precision current sensor riding at different speed(10, 15, 20, 25 and 30), in the hope to find how range depend on it(I found it, will open another thread).
As a 'by product', the spikes at high speed is much larger than I expected. When ridding at high speed, the max torque is already small, and those spikes make it worse to leave very small safety margin. In the chart below, only the current is shown, but the torque is proportional to the current.
Current-spikes.gif

Edit: I was ridding MSuper V3 on a straight paved road back and forth.

It would be interesting to know the theoretical max current as a function of speed to compare with the measured current and get an idea of the torque reserve. 

Archived