Charging Ninebot without Charger

dbfrese

Like I say, maybe you'll have something there. But when you add your other inverter and cables, it's getting close for a lot less effectiveness. 

I do hope you prove us all wrong though. I would like to lighten my load in my pack. 

7 hours ago, master255 said:

That gives a much more tangible charge, with the same size as the first USB charger.

If you have a plug, why not use a real charger? It will not be much larger or heavier than the combination of your power adapter plus board plus heatsink plus case. Build one and take pictures so we can compare. :D

4 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

If you have a plug, why not use a real charger? It will not be much larger or heavier than the combination of your power adapter plus board plus heatsink plus case. Build one and take pictures so we can compare. :D

I believe I'll be building a charger into the wheel. This way, I only need to carry a power cord. I'll let the wheel carry the charger. 

Theres a member of our riding group that did this with his NineBot One E+, and I really like the idea. I may add USB outlets while there also. 

9 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I believe I'll be building a charger into the wheel. This way, I only need to carry a power cord. I'll let the wheel carry the charger. 

Theres a member of our riding group that did this with his NineBot One E+, and I really like the idea. I may add USB outlets while there also. 

That's what I'm planning to do as well for one of the wheels.

13 minutes ago, master255 said:

The first one is LEDs constant current power supply absolutely unsuitable for charging batteries plus it has much lower voltage under the load (only 37 - 55V instead of declared 60V under no load). Second one has maximum voltage of 58V. Third one is only 24V and other models listed in the table below there are larger and the biggest one goes only to 52.8V. In conclusion none of those 3 would be usable with your wheel. It's not that easy to get small power supply / charger with correct voltage, amperage and correct charging mode unfortunately. As the voltage goes up the components are getting bigger, heavier and more expensive. Also more dangerous so proper protection / casing is needed as well and so on. If you'd for example "built" your own charger from some PCB module without casing and use unsuitable box which can either easily crack under lower pressure or slight impact or (even worse) is not suitable for high voltage devices it can lead to some serious injury.

5 hours ago, master255 said:

@SuperSport, Where do you plan to place the charging block?
I think it's a bad idea, because it will increase the weight of the wheel, without needing.

I'll remove the plastic case from the charger for space and weight.

The wheel is already too heavy.  This will add about 1/2 pound to the already 30lbs it is now, and I'd prefer the wheel to carry the charger, instead of my back, plus the space savings in the backpack.  I RARELY pick up my wheel (I use a Trolley Handle), so the extra 8oz won't matter much except for loading and unloading to/from the car.

It will be installed inside the case and wired direct to the existing charging cable.  I'll figure out a good plug design to plug it into a wall outlet.

If/when I get it done, I'll post photos and a how-to thread.

7 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I'll remove the plastic case from the charger for space and weight.

Be really careful there. If the charger is out of its case you're exposing high-voltage components and need to be really careful that it doesn't contact any of your low voltage wiring. Also when you have the case open you need to be sure you don't contact any of the high-voltage components, the capacitors can hold a charge for a long time.

It might be an interesting project but I don't think it's worth the risk. If there's that much space in your wheel it would be better to use it for batteries!

If you need more space you could get some of these or custom 3D print something yourself?

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_CA/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/9bCover

It's too bad they don't have a triangular curved end extension on the side of the pads so it's more of a like a semicircular container.  That way you'd have plenty of room to stash a few more components.  I never knew shipping is actually quite reasonable from 1Radwerkstatt.

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_CA/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/NinebotSET

21 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Be really careful there. 

Thank you for the warning. I'm very comfortable with electronics, and will take the necessary precautions. 

23 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

Take a video when you plug it in. Might make the USB port have some interesting lights. 

Hehe, I won't be directly wiring to the battery. I've got a converter to bring it down to the correct voltage. ?

I wish I could get the 1Rad battery upgrade. Unfortunately, they won't ship to the US, or that would be my first upgrade. 

As far as where I'm mounting all the components, I've already got a place picked out. I've been inside quite a few times.  I just need to measure everything first. 

Unfortunately, it will have to wait a bit because I'm on a plane to Maui right now. Like I say, I'll create a new post when I get to it. 

8 hours ago, SuperSport said:
On 28.7.2016 at 3:28 AM, chriscalandro said:

Take a video when you plug it in. Might make the USB port have some interesting lights. 

Hehe, I won't be directly wiring to the battery. I've got a converter to bring it down to the correct voltage. ?

I think he meant that for master255 ;)

Archived