KS16 impression coming from solowheel

David S

I received my ks16 today. Ive had a solowheel classic for over 2 years and have never rode anything else until today. Riding the KS16 today was a much different experience.

The first thing that felt different is the KS feels like a tank compared to the solowheel. Not being able to angle the pedals by shifting the KS in front and behind me was pretty odd at first but i got use to it quickly.  The extra weight made it extremely stable. I could very confidently go over small cracks at its top speed without worry. Riding at top speed feels very safe too. Also I guess because of the weight i could ride the KS at really slow speeds with ease.

My biggest dislike about the KS is the side padding. When i step my right foot off it presses on my leg at a really weird point that is really uncomfortable. The solowheel distributes the pressure evenly along my leg, the KS seems to press it all at one point which becomes painful. I read lots about wheels before buying and have never seeen anyone mention this before. People have said the solowheel classic/xtreme are the most comfortable rides, i guess this could be one of the reasons for that.

Before buying I wouldn't have thought that the speakers would be something i cared much about, but i quickly enjoyed having it. It would definitely be very nice for longer rides. While I like the lights i ended up disabling them for now. Since i usually ride at high speeds, the lights aren't really helpful at seeing whats ahead of me on the road at night. I disabled them because i feel it attracts more attention to me while riding and i prefer to be able to go about less noticed as EUC's already get so much attention when passing people. I think it would be great to have a button on the wheel itself to be able to enable or disable it. I have a note 5 and am unable to get it to connect to the wheel, I have to connect it through my galaxy tablet to make any changes.

The trolly handle is very useful. The only disadvantage to using it imo is that the motor still makes a pretty loud hum that is pretty noticeable while indoors. I live in a high rise and have to go down an elevator and through a lobby to get outside and feel the hum would attract more attention to it.

Overall i really like the speed and stability of the KS but also like the simplicity and comfort of the solowheel. I imagine I will continue to use both of them.

Not the pedals, the padding on the side. Like if you were to ride it with 1 leg the point where it leans against you. Thanks for the link to the thread, didnt know that.

7 hours ago, David S said:

Not the pedals, the padding on the side. Like if you were to ride it with 1 leg the point where it leans against you. Thanks for the link to the thread, didnt know that.

No. I was refering to this sentence: "Not being able to angle the pedals ..."??

Oh I was talking about how on the solowheel when accelerating or braking you can angle the entire wheel. The KS pretty much stays parallel to the ground the whole time. Not really a plus or minus for either, just different.

41 minutes ago, David S said:

Oh I was talking about how on the solowheel when accelerating or braking you can angle the entire wheel. The KS pretty much stays parallel to the ground the whole time. Not really a plus or minus for either, just different.

OK. That you can change by selecting 1 of the 3 available ride modes via the mobile app. Player is the hardest / with minimal tilt.

14 hours ago, David S said:

reading the description of those modes i thought it was more related to just the acceleration/braking, ill try it out.

They do affect the amount of "tilt" as well.

14 hours ago, HEC said:

On 7/4/2016 at 1:27 PM, David S said:

reading the description of those modes i thought it was more related to just the acceleration/braking, ill try it out.

They do affect the amount of "tilt" as well.

@David S Ninebot has rider modes too, you can select mode 1 and the pedals stay flat when accelerating and braking, all the way up to 9, which has a large amount of lean forward and backward to go or stop.  Like @HEC said, you can change modes to find the one you like best.  I love having that option, it's one of the things you get with a good wheel.  Ninebot went a little overboard with so many different settings though.  Most people in the forum seem to prefer 1 to 4.

10 minutes ago, David S said:

Do you know what most people use on the KS? I havent found anyone talking about it in threads here.

I use the "Player" mode - stiffest pedals. "Training" mode should be the softest.

1 hour ago, HEC said:

I use the "Player" mode - stiffest pedals. "Training" mode should be the softest.

KS14 is in generell a Little softer than Gotway or ninebot....but not as swaggy as Solowheel :-)

KS16 is harder than KS14...but also:

Most People i know use Player Mode on KS....the hardest Setting....

• 2 weeks later...

So i just got my first flate tire on the ks16 :( anyone know if regular 16inch tubes bought at the store will work for it or do i need to special order one? They didn't work on solowheel because the tire valve was too long but the ks has a curved pipe for it. Also im guessi g the proxess od changing it will be just as annoying as the solowheel.

36 minutes ago, David S said:

So i just got my first flate tire on the ks16 :( anyone know if regular 16inch tubes bought at the store will work for it or do i need to special order one? They didn't work on solowheel because the tire valve was too long but the ks has a curved pipe for it. Also im guessi g the proxess od changing it will be just as annoying as the solowheel.

Sorry to hear that! You'll need a special inner tube with customized (bent) valve like this one: https://www.wheelgo.com/product/king-song-14-inner-tube/ or you can purchase a set of Tire + Tube: https://www.wheelgo.com/product/king-song-14-tire-inner-tube/ (the links says incorrectly 14" but those are both 16" - I've purchased those for my KS16). Also while listed for IPS they fit KS as well.

EDIT: If you're in US / Canada go to eWheels.com instead

1 minute ago, David S said:

Thanks hec, looks like its just a european distributor though? Im in the US.

See my edit above or contact @Jason McNeil who is running both UK / EU as well as US webshops. On US shop it's still listing those as 14" so to be sure ask Jason here or via email / chat option on his web shop page.

I see several tubes on Amazon as well with a search of "16 inch angled valve" like this one: https://www.amazon.com/16x2-125-Inner-Angled-Valve-Electric/dp/B00G03ZCRC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?

I know what you mean about going a few days without riding, I may get a spare tube now just in case! Still riding on my year-old original tube.

13 minutes ago, David S said:

Contacted jason and he is mailing one out. Glad i have a backup wheel in the interim, its hard for me to go even a couple days without a wheel.

Great! @Jason McNeil's service is superb so you're in good hands there ;)

10 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I see several tubes on Amazon as well with a search of "16 inch angled valve" like this one: https://www.amazon.com/16x2-125-Inner-Angled-Valve-Electric/dp/B00G03ZCRC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?

I know what you mean about going a few days without riding, I may get a spare tube now just in case! Still riding on my year-old original tube.

I get spare tubes for each of my wheels right away when purchasing the wheel, for most of them I have spare tires as well. Exactly as almost everyone else here I'd not last long without being able to ride :)

Why don't you just patch the tube, instead of waiting for a new tube? Buy a repair kit. :-) There is a video on youtube that shows how you take the wheel out for tire repairs. It requires some work, but should be ok to do if you need to.

In case you need some help - here it is. 

@David S. I woudnt patch the tube. If you have another wheel to ride while you are waiting, id do that and them imstall new tube, or even new tire. Its not worth it to patch the tube - you will have to open the wheel up every time it pops, and thats a freaking pain. Its better to put in a new one. Ive gone thru this many times, patched them first then always got new ones.  Make sure you have a stock of a coup,e of spare tubes, as you will need them in the future.

15 hours ago, dmethvin said:

No, guys, dont get this one, need to be careful. See which way the valve is curved? Perpendicular to the tube. This is no good, it will catch onto the wheel. You need one with the valve that is curved in the plane of the tube! I made the same mistake and bought a few tubes like this and had to thrown them out 

you need the one where the valve is bent like this : ( except in 16" size)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SHOZ52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Archived