Long Distance Travelling Contingencies

After reading about @edwin_rm's unfortunately incident with his KS16 - I was wondering whether people who go for super long rides think about travelling contingencies if something were to malfunction with their EUC during their trip.  In some locations it's not as easy as calling AAA to give you a tow.  I've enjoyed reading about people's 70 km commutes, but what would you do if you had a flat tire half way through your trip?  Do you plan for any possible mishaps, or do most people just call on their cell phones for help?

Say you're in a park many, many miles away from the nearest accessible road?  If it takes about 8 hours to walk 20 miles, that would be a very long trek pushing a heavy EUC around... I guess though it's similar to what people on a bike would experience if they had a mechanical problem.   They likely carry water, snacks, and supplies just in case.  On a fast moving EUC it might be easier though to forget to pack survival supplies for those longer journeys?  Are people who go on long trips prepared, and what do you bring?  Say you have a serious faceplant and can't walk very well, do you bring bandages, painkillers, emergency supplies?

Hi,

I don't know if it can be called super long ride, but I often do 50 to 65km trips. Usually, I carry with me a tramway/bus ticket, because I am generally max 1km from a station, even though sometimes I am as far as 10km, but then I just don't think about the eventuality that it may happen, if it does, I guess I'll have to call a taxi or a friend ^^

I always carry with me a bottle of water, my phone, and a snack in by backpack that can hold my EUC. I never carry a portable pump, because I never had a flat tire with my bycicles and it's some useless added weight for me. I'm thinking of carrying some bandages with me.

I wonder if carrying a small grocery bag and some masking tape might be a good idea in case of rain.  I know some wheels warn you not to ride in wet conditions, but sometimes you never know what the weather can be like.  One could cover the wheel with the bag and secure it with some tape so you can ride to shelter.  Packing a small umbrella or rain poncho mght be good too.

I'm more thinking of what to bring say if you take your wheel riding through some isolated park trail system that is miles away from civilization.  It's a great feeling to be able to discover more places quickly on the wheel, but at the same time it can be smart to pack a few essentials just in case.

Found a relevant previous thread:

6 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I wonder if carrying a small grocery bag and some masking tape might be a good idea in case of rain.  I know some wheels warn you not to ride in wet conditions, but sometimes you never know what the weather can be like.  One could cover the wheel with the bag and secure it with some tape so you can ride to shelter.  Packing a small umbrella or rain poncho mght be good too.

I'm more thinking of what to bring say if you take your wheel riding through some isolated park trail system that is miles away from civilization.  It's a great feeling to be able to discover more places quickly on the wheel, but at the same time it can be smart to pack a few essentials just in case.

I always carry electrical tape. I use it to cover the seams in the plastic casing incase of rain. Also, since i made holes in the top of the casing to help with overheating, for me its essential to have to i can cover the holes in the light rain. Plastic bag can also be useful

I bought this small cross-body bag to carry some basic things:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Casual-Outdoor-Travel-Hiking-Sport-Casual-Chest-Canvas-Male-Vintage-Men-Messenger-Bags-Small-Retro/32390569757.html

It has room for my Gopro-clone camera, selfie stick, and USB power bank for recharging the phone or camera if needed. Usually I throw a trail mix bar into there in case I get hungry. I also have bought various things in small packets: Bandages, hand wipes, sunscreen. That way I can put a few in the bag but don't need to drag a big container with me. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043D68YW/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012DW2LF4/

1. first aid pack including rubbing alcohol, antibiotics cream, very large.bandage

2. Water, energy bars, flashlight, plastic bags. lightest rain coat. one jacket. one pair of socks.

3. Communication tools. gps, compass, Swiss knife

• 9 months later...

I totally Christopher McCandless my adventures; I might bring one or two bottles of water, no cell phone (I leave it at home because of the distraction), and go explore wildernesses.

I would say the biggest danger is invariably other people. It is other people who would hit you in their vehicles in these isolated places, or people who come out with guns if you accidentally wander into their property. Or the very pretty young thang (90 pounds) who invites you back to her apartment then gives you a Coke afterwards. Never did catch her name.

I can live, barely, without all the vitals like water, food, but I can't live without bug repellent. That right there is number one. Being chased by biting insects during dusk is surely one of the most miserable experiences a person can have, and a chigger will leave a visible ulcer in your leg that takes weeks to recover from.

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I totally Christopher McCandless my adventures; I might bring one or two bottles of water, no cell phone (I leave it at home because of the distraction), and go explore wildernesses.

I would say the biggest danger is invariably other people. It is other people who would hit you in their vehicles in these isolated places, or people who come out with guns if you accidentally wander into their property. Or the very pretty young thang (90 pounds) who invites you back to her apartment then gives you a Coke afterwards. Never did catch her name.

I can live, barely, without all the vitals like water, food, but I can't live without bug repellent. That right there is number one. Being chased by biting insects during dusk is surely one of the most miserable experiences a person can have, and a chigger will leave a visible ulcer in your leg that takes weeks to recover from.

hahaa... we live such a sheltered life in England.... No bugs... No guns... No wilderness...  

Archived