14 vs 16

GenghisRoy

Hi I'm a noob. I've gotten stoked on these things. Bought a 14" generic that I'm sending back. Hurts the shins too much with its zero padding and 90 degree angles. I'm kinda drawn to the v5f+ coming out, but also like the 9b1e+ for the price and apparent reliability. Just wondering your thoughts on 14" vs 16". FYI I'm 6'2" 175. 

If you cut up some pieces of carpet underlay and tape them onto the sides of the box it makes these much more comfy to ride.  Other people use shin guards, but the taped on padding seems to work fine for me.

Forwardca still has the Ninebot One E+ on sale for $449.99 for the blue edition, $499.99 for the Flame and $549.99 for the classic white.

https://www.forwardca.com/products/ninebot-one-e-special-edition-blue

The Inmotion v5f looks like a nice wheel with some solid engineering behind it.

I did a poll once, and I think most people seem to prefer the 16" size vs the 14" yet there seem to be more model choices with the small diameter wheel.  You should be fine with either choice, but the larger wheel makes going over bumps easier.

45 minutes ago, GenghisRoy said:

Just wondering your thoughts on 14" vs 16". FYI I'm 6'2" 175. 

I'm 6'2" as well (but maybe a wee bit heavier). Being taller means a higher centre of gravity, and I feel the larger 16" wheel gives more stability...

The pedal height of 14" wheels, in my experience, makes them less agile than the 16". The higher pedal height of the 16" allows me to to do sideways' leaning/tilting when cornering at high speed. The 14" would scrape the floor and get me ejected if tilted too much.

5 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

The pedal height of 14" wheels, in my experience, makes them less agile than the 16". The higher pedal height of the 16" allows me to to do sideways' leaning/tilting when cornering at high speed. The 14" would scrape the floor and get me ejected if tilted too much.

The pedal height doesnt just depend on the wheel size. The pedal support goes down and the length of the piece the pedals are attached to will define the height of the pedals over the pavement.

for example ninebot pedals scrape more than the kingsong 14"

also, it depends on the wheel and the pedal geometry whether they will scrape or not. In general the 14 " wheels are more agile as they are lighter and smaller. 

7 hours ago, Chuts said:

16" will suit your size more.  If you have the cash to spend 18" would be better.

I am thinking about getting an 18" for commuting. Which is better, KS18, Mspuer 2 or mSuper3 (coming)?

11 minutes ago, ECUMania said:

I am thinking about getting an 18" for commuting. Which is better, KS18, Mspuer 2 or mSuper3 (coming)?

This is the eternal question  - you will get many different opinions and the truth will be somewhere in the middle. My prediction is you will be more likely to figure out the reason for living before people will agree in ks 18 vs msuper :) 

Just now, Cloud said:

This is the eternal question  - you will get many different opinions and the truth will be somewhere in the middle. My prediction is you will be more likely to figure out the reason for living before people will agree in ks 18 vs msuper :) 

Msuper can climb stairs. Nobody showed  KS18 can do it.

4 minutes ago, ECUMania said:

Msuper can climb stairs. Nobody showed  KS18 can do it.

I'd hazard a guess that this might not be the most important criteria when picking a wheel... ;)

52 minutes ago, ECUMania said:

Starting an A vs B discussion makes the forum active. Good for the forum, LOL.

Anyway, climbing stairs shows how well msuper can handle bumps and potholes. So, it is relevant.

Dont get me wrong - i love these wars)

5 hours ago, Cloud said:

My prediction is you will be more likely to figure out the reason for living before people will agree in ks 18 vs msuper :) 

Well that one is easy, my reason for living is to ride my wheel. :P

Great info! Thanks for all the replies. I kinda viewed the 18 inchers as sorta fringe. They seem pretty fast but the size seems like it negates the whole convenience factor. 

Seems like King Song wasn't really thinking about weight when they made their latest 16". Love that handle though. Kinda curious what the new Ninebot will look like. Isn't that supposed to come out soon?

@GenghisRoy the bigger the wheel the heavier it gets, and the batteries contribute a lot to the overall weight if you go for the 640Wh or higher packs.

So if you want 16" + sturdy construction+ high capacity battery, you're looking at +14kg; no the kind of wheel you want to be lugging along for a longer distance or up and down stairs, so these are more long distance cruising machines (even more so the 18").

For commuting, hopping on/off public transportation and riding the last mile or in between modes of transportation, a lightweight 14" with max 340Wh battery seems more suitable.

I've tried a GW18" once, it feels heavy, and steers like a pig. So if you're not kamikaze enough to push it to 40Kmh or higher topspeeds I don't really see the point for 18", except if you going off-road all the time or live by the "mine is bigger (and can climb stairs)" adagio......

Don't get me wrong, I absolute love what "I drive a Hummer, so then I'm sure I can negotiate any large bump and pothole I might encounter in the city" argument brings into a discussion about bigger is better:P

Maybe it's too much 18" bashing? I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and getting my 7yo daughter to school on the bike (in the rain) this morning proved to be a bit of a challenge, so I hope you'll forgive me.:rolleyes:

Not to start a war, but do we really need  these 18" speedmonsters, and would you buy a 20", a 22",...?

Yeah I don't see myself getting an 18 inch wheel although I'm sure some people swear by them. 

I'm not planning to use it for utility right away. Not until I am good enough not to crash into pedestrians or accidentally drive it into the street :-) 

But I do have visions of the future where I ride it the 2 miles to work and back, or down to the local bar or out to an improv class or what have you.  A light weight wheel seems attractive for bringing with you into an office and sticking in the back of an uber or general convenience.  So that V5f+ looks really cool but being 6'2" and a total newbie makes me think I should practice up on a 16 inch  slower wheel just to get the hang of the whole thing. 

Archived