One more IPS question

The Fat Unicyclist

I have just one more pre-purchase question (before I order an IPS 191)...

Are they usually assembled with good quality batteries (from Japan / Korea)?

And if they have Chinese batteries as standard, is there a "high quality" replacement option? 

2 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Normally they will put SONY batteries on the "top of the line" IPS 191(or181) 340wh  units. If in doubt, you could ask the dealer. If you are buying from the factory, you can email Runrui.

Thanks Mo (or is your first name Slow?)

Unfortunately my local dealer is hospitalised currently, which is making it somewhat difficult to get detailed information. And that is why I am turning to my new-found experts! 

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks Mo (or is your first name Slow?)

Unfortunately my local dealer is hospitalised currently, which is making it somewhat difficult to get detailed information. And that is why I am turning to my new-found experts! 

Hope your dealer will get well soon my friend.

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What was he riding at the time? ;-)

340Wh batts are sony/panasonic; mentioned on IPS website

260Wh no mention of the origin of the bat on the IPS website ; from reviews here we've learned that these 260 version are Chinese batts

Good luck with your purchase

S

18 hours ago, playdad said:

The wheel turns at high speed if you lift it up. Probably the same when tipped as mine has never done that. LOL.

So when you lift it up, jump etc. it never turns off, just spins? I guess that's the real question.

When you lift it, it will spin quickly. I am honestly not sure about the jumping bit but yeah, I would assume it spins and keeps going as you land. It shouldn't "turn off". Jumps are really pretty quick so I doubt it really gets to spinning differently from the speed at lift-off.

2 hours ago, Jurgen said:

It takes at least 3 sec's (rough estimate, never used a chrono) before the wheel shuts of, with g=9,81 m/s2 you're good for a drop of about 30m;

I believe it's rather 44m at final speed of 29 m/s (106km/h).^1

^1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#Uniform_acceleration

2 hours ago, playdad said:

Ok guys, you're scaring me. Drop of 30-44m. The wheel would probably explode first and me with it. :ph34r:

I recommend putting padding on your wheel first. 

And reinforced underpants too!

3 hours ago, playdad said:

Ok guys, you're scaring me. Drop of 30-44m. The wheel would probably explode first and me with it. :ph34r:

Each second gravity accelates you another 9.81 m/s, but this only important if you jump into a deep hole, there the 3sec would be relevant giving you a 30m drop before the wheels shuts off.

In daily life this is completely irrelevant: if you jump up at a speed of 30Km/h and remain in 'flight' for 1,5sec up, and 1,5sec down, you're landing speed would be still the same 30Km/h. So do'nt go buying that kevlar underpants yet ;)

38 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

Each second gravity accelates you another 9.81 m/s, but this only important if you jump into a deep hole, there the 3sec would be relevant giving you a 30m drop before the wheels shuts off.

I don't think so. Acceleration is measure in m/s^2, not m/s, and in the last second you drop on average much faster than 10m/s, while in the first second the average speed is about 5 m/s (9.81 / 2). The average speed after 3 seconds is close to 15 m/s (3 x 9.81 / 2), so you drop close to 45m.^1 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#Uniform_acceleration

10 minutes ago, Niko said:

I don't think so. Acceleration is measure in m/s^2, not m/s, and in the last second you drop on average much faster than 10m/s, while in the first second the average speed is about 5 m/s (9.81 / 2). The average speed after 3 seconds is close to 15 m/s (3 x 9.81 / 2), so you drop close to 45m.^1 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#Uniform_acceleration

Each second gravity accelates you another 9.81 m/s, hence g=m/s^2; but your calc is right;)

12 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I recommend putting padding on your wheel first. 

And reinforced underpants too!

I'm just not sure which explosion will be worse.. the wheel or the one in my underpants. :P:D

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:05 PM, Sidestreet Reny said:

Hey folks I know it is not about the battery but can somebody tell me if the IPS turns off when tipped over or lifted? Or does it stay on til you get back on it?

When my IPS121 falls over, the wheel stops spinning, and an alarm sounds. To resume, I turn it off then back on.

When my IPS121 is lifted, the wheel spins at high speed.

Archived