Difference KS16 A vs B?

OliverH

YES, KS16A is prototype and KS16B is now the right model.

MosFet orientation on Motherboard hase change and other phase order... when you install the wrong firmware (KS16A on a KS16B Wheel) wheels spins fast in the wrong direction...attention!

1RadWerkstatt

Please pay attention when upgrading the firmware, it NEEDS to be B... to my knowledge this has gone wrong for more of our members and in one instance blew a fuse because the wheel went totally ballistic... Can't really blame the user as the box still says KB16A... 

There is sooooo much conflicting info about this with different resellers giving different information on different forums (The Wheelies, KS France, Henrik, 1rad) and of course factory silence. Can anyone say for sure that all consumer version being shipped out is indeed 16B? I am not going to trust what is written/printed on the box. Some people were saying that some consumer versions made before chinese new year are still 16a and everything after is 16b. If that's the case, how are we supposed to know when our wheel was made? Some say it doesn't matter which firmware you install, others say they are not interchangeable and will spaz out if you install the wrong one...

Hmm, I hope so... The problem you are asked to chose version and the box says KS16A, but in reality it's a B inside the box...  

I would assume they upgrade both versions but it's a no go to load the wrong version...  This should be an easy fix through software to make this never happens...  I will write KS about this and suggest to build in a check...*

@Henrik Olsen do you know for certain that all consumer shipped wheels are 16b and the prototype was 16a? Some people are saying some consumer shipped wheels made before Chinese New Year are also 16a. I don't see any way for us to tell when our wheel was made. 

Honestly, people's concern about user updatable firmware have already proven valid. Bad idea if you can't implement it responsibly. Just like ninebot, there is not enough quality control on the software side. Why are they giving users the option to install different firmware options- some of which can brick the wheel if you choose the wrong one. And even in light of this they can't be bothered to go on forums or Facebook to write a simple message to clear up the confusion. I get that the factory doesn't want consumers to come to them for support- they want you to go through the resellers. But the factory seems to keep them in the dark too and ignores them when they try to warn them of these exact scenarios happening. How did they not see this coming?

i get my 16(A? B?) tomorrow and I'm so freaking excited. But I am not touching that firmware upgrade until this is sorted out. I know Jason is looking into it so I'm keeping the shipped firmware until he approves. 

I got my KS16 on 08/04/2016. On the Box: "KS-16A", on the manual: "KS-16A" - however, I never experienced any weird behavior after firmware updates. My wheel does not have the led battery gauge and no shiny trolley handle - so I am pretty sure I did not get one of the prototypes...

9 hours ago, sbouju said:

... and a well working odometer would be fine, I have read here, on the french forum !

Since firmware 1.18 the odometer continues counting: 442 Km so far (usually it always jumped back to ~ 70 Km when I reached ~150 Km). Now I need to add 500 Km (I logged my routes until firmware 1.18) in order to calculate the real Km traveled so far: 942 Km. No falls so far - the case is still immaculate. :D 

One more thing: My serial number starts with KS16D... I'd expect there should be something unique with the prototype serial numbers. Maybe someone who might have KS16 prototypes in reach could have a look at those serials and share them...

Is it so difficult for programmers to make a firmware flashing program to read the model type / serial number from the control board before allowing their program to flash firmware?  If they can flash firmware, I'm fairly certain they can do a simple read from the EPROM or NVROM or whatever they use to verify the model before proceeding.  A simple check in software could help avoid a ton of bigger issues.  It seems ludicrous to me that there are no firmware flashing safeguards in place to protect a device costing over $1000?

Firmware 1.18 works perfect with my wheel. The odometer works, doing it's job of keeping track of total distance traveled so far. So, since everything appears to work perfectly, I see no reason for me to consider updating firmware again in the future. :) 

You know what they say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Archived