KS16 Mods & Tires

Blunzn

@Blunzn

For me the question is: How is the Schwalbe Big Mike  on nearly 30 kmh on normal streets? Better? Same? Worse?

What you describe as "oversteering" on the other tyres.....is a experience i have, when there is not enough pressure/air in the tyre....

For me it then felt like the wheel always wants to tilt in a certain direction...a Problem i have got when i first ride my brandnew KS16 in BKK...The Thai Group People are all much lighter than me, so they pumped up the wheel like they always do.....

I first thought the KS 16 runs in certain directions, but not in that one, that i want :-) More pressure...Problem solved....

Perhaps that is with the other wheels, also? Just not enough air? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it probably must be slightly worse at top speed, alone from the fact that the standard street tire is built for tarmac & 25km/h+ ebikes and to other is more or less a children bmx tire. 

i will make a little tour with chriull later today and test more highspeed curves. yesterday i shortly hit 26-28 km/h on straits, and although there is always a little scary feeling with a brand new tire, it felt quite ok and stable speeding up a hill.

in my case i think it has more to do with the arrangement and distance of the treads, as i always start with a fully pumped up tire (as much as my small handpump allows) reducing the pressure in steps after some km. so i start with too much pressure.

just a guess but the black jack had totaly different behaviours going straight and in corners due to the varying treaddensity between the middle (double the treads) and outer part (half as much as in the middle part). did not really get rid of it through more air pressure ... it probably doesn't matter much if you have 2 tires and a bike :) 

The max. recommended load on Schwalbe Mad Mike 16x2.125 is 55 kg. Do you think it has any affect on anything? is it safe? I can't imagine tire like that exploding from too much weight but the max. load figure has to come somewhere, right?

rode the smaller mad mike 16x1.75 on my ninebot e+ for appx 1000km and its still going even without flats. not sure how it works out for a 120k person, but my 70kg + backpack were fine till now.

did a 54 km run yesterday with chriull (both on fw 1.2) ... pushed the ks16 quite hard over hilly gravel and tarmac roads and back over bumpy city walkways. the Mad Mike is pretty agile so at high speeds (25 to 30) you need to drive much more carefull as the tire is very responsive. 

forget the tire if you are:

- beginner with low mileage, as balancing or going slow is harder at first and faster speeds need more concentration.

- people who seldom drive offroads (and then mostly in dry conditions, which the standard tire masters quite good)

- speedfreaks :)

but if you like to drive offroad over mountainbike or hike trails this tire will burrow through mud and deep gravel. Also doing tricks is a joy, managed my first driving forward slowly, yanking the wheel 180° and continue driving in reverse maneuver.

@Jason McNeil the shell seems pretty solid but dont know the 14 & 18 models ... hat a crash some weeks ago on tarmac and now a pedal and the pedal hinge is slightly bent, nothing serious ... but for offroad i dont see a problem from the shell, as tarmac is much harder in case of a crash. even with the 16x2.125 tire, compared to the 9b1, less mud is trapped inside the case and less noise from gravel/leaves. 

• 2 weeks later...

its a child protection foam for your flat to put on tables and sharp corners.

you get them from ebay, amazon or an ewheel shop. mostly at quite high prices but there are some cheap sources

• 2 weeks later...

Magnetic Pedals V2

the magnetic band version (http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3955-ks16-mods-tires/#comment-41825) doesn't work anymore with the new, screwless pedals ... time to upgrade with neodym magnets and superglue

i used double sided tape for the 2x1x0,4cm neodym magnet inside the pedal prevent noises and superglue for the other one on the wheel plus little rubber pieces for silent operation. the griptape is a bit bigger now, including the metal parts  and with small lashes to tighten the fit of the rubber. i used some superglue for the griptape/rubber parts and then 2 drops near the magnet to hold the whole thing inside the pedal. not too much, just so that you can force it out again with a screwdriver or cutter.

1.jpg2.jpg

23 hours ago, Maestro72x said:

Anyone try to Mod the speaker? I can barely hear it when im riding in the city.

I am looking nto speaker options for a non kingsong wheel. But of course if i had a ks 16, id want to upgrade the speakers also as they are too quiet. Only 2 speakers in ks16 as opposed to ks18. I dont know how much more room you have inside the wheel. Also not sure what happens if you connect 2 more. Similar speakers and even smaller ones are easily available on the net. But is your signal going to be strong enough so that you can just connect two more? Can you experiment with that? It might work.

another option is to amplify the signal by connecting to an additional speaker/ speakers that have some kind of amplification. There are small bluetooth speakers that have a battery and they have a line in input 3.5. If i were you, id try that as an easier option, since you already have half of the volume you need.

if you dont want to mess with connecting the wires to the wheels speaker output, you can get a small bluetooth receiver and small bluetooth transmitter capable of transmitting to 2 devices. Then you can transmit to your wheel as well as an external bluetooth speaker. I can include some links later.

6 hours ago, Cloud said:

I am looking nto speaker options for a non kingsong wheel. But of course if i had a ks 16, id want to upgrade the speakers also as they are too quiet. Only 2 speakers in ks16 as opposed to ks18. I dont know how much more room you have inside the wheel. Also not sure what happens if you connect 2 more. Similar speakers and even smaller ones are easily available on the net. But is your signal going to be strong enough so that you can just connect two more? Can you experiment with that? It might work.

another option is to amplify the signal by connecting to an additional speaker/ speakers that have some kind of amplification. There are small bluetooth speakers that have a battery and they have a line in input 3.5. If i were you, id try that as an easier option, since you already have half of the volume you need.

if you dont want to mess with connecting the wires to the wheels speaker output, you can get a small bluetooth receiver and small bluetooth transmitter capable of transmitting to 2 devices. Then you can transmit to your wheel as well as an external bluetooth speaker. I can include some links later.

a better speaker with better sensitivity would help.. what is the speaker size? We should ride cloud! im mobile now! 

1 hour ago, Maestro72x said:

a better speaker with better sensitivity would help.. what is the speaker size? We should ride cloud! im mobile now! 

Yeah we should ride,  i am mobile again too as of last sunday. 

Speakers come in all different sizes, there are really small ones for sale. Ive seen them on ebay or amazon. 

Archived