KS16 Mods & Tires

Blunzn

finally my ks16 arrived :) 

first little project - griptape: (doesn't work with the newer V2 Pedals - they don't have screws and no thread is cutted in the pedals - still superglue may work)

remove the stand-away rubber with a sidecutter or nail scissor 

DSC04822c.png

clean the now almost even surface. i used a bit of isopropanol to get rid of grease and dirt

DSC04825c.png

cut the griptape in any size/pattern/stripes you like to skip the next step and finish right here ...

or if you want it to fit. either remove the rubber (2,5 mm allen) or leave the rubber on and remove the whole pedal (5 mm allen), if you want to cover the rubber+metal all together. 

the rubber seems to be partly "glued" but with a small screwdriver its easily removable. btw you just need to remove one side and when putting it back inn you can reposition the unused rubbery"glue" parts or put double sided tape inside, but probably not really needed.

DSC04827c.png

you can get griptape from the internet or from your local skateboard shop. they have decks with grafics or pattern and the size should be good for appx 8 pedals. or you buy a short piece from the black standard rolls with different roughness. ofc you can also use stair tape or other no slip material

DSC04830c.png

use old cheap rusty scissors for the cutting ;) 

DSC04834c.png

next projects ... vinylwrap, offroadtire, unplugging the speakers ... or i wait for the new iOS app ... 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening the KS16:

removing the outer shell is a bit of a pain in the a..

use a small slot screwdriver and loosen the 2 lashes on the bottom inner side of the led cover, carefully pull the plastic up part for part until the whole part is removed.

1.png

remove all the small cross screws ...13 per side, remove and unplug the led stips too

2.png

edit: it's much easier with a thin plastic piece instead of screwdrivers 

now comes the tricky part. each side has 3 lashes in the front and backside, the upper and lower one come off easy and you can hold them up with 2 small screwdrivers while carefully hinge up the middle one ... then the same on the other side. be carefull to disconnect the speaker ... dont rip out the cable ;) 

3.png

i taped the disconnected cables to the cover/body. the KS16 has an additional beeper for the speed warnings. but you won't get the other audio warnings (Hello KS, BT connected, deccelerate, overheat, overpower) so pls drive carefull !!!  The high pitched noise stays the same as does the noise while standing still ... so this should only be a temporary solution until the new iOS App is updated and you can disable the audio like with the Android app.

to get access to the motherboard unscrew the 4 screws on the top, pull out the handle and lift the top cover. be carefull with the wires!

to change the tire or repair a flat, unscrew the 6 big screws on both sides, very very carefully unplug the motor cable (notice the 2 arrows on the plug to not plug it falsely back together!). then pull apart the lower part of the chasis and raise the whole body up while !!!carefully!!!! pull out the motorcable at the same time.

4.png

if you go for the motherboard you don't have to unscrew the black light covers, you can bend them while raising and lowering the MB cover

6.png

btw you don't have to remove the batteries.

While changing the tire try to not bend the cable too much and if i haven't mentioned it - be carefull and protect the cable !!

5.png

the Kenda K817 tire 16x1.95 as the Schwalbe Black Jack are pretty bad to ride ... go for a Schwalbe Mad Max 16x2.125

7.png

31 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

@Blunznnice job... how does it handle with the new tire?

just did a short 5km test run in the dark up my little hill with gravel/tarmac. damn crazy agile :) didn't dare to go max. speed. quite wobbly (as expected) and a totaly different corner feeling. not sure if i would recommend it if you mostly go fast on tarmac. but for offroad, tricks or if you like to slalom a lot, the added agility is very nice. 

it took me some days//weeks to getting used to the schwalbe mad mike on the ninebot but after appx 700km with it (half the tread in the middle left) ... i would not want to ride street tires again :) at least not at 20km/h

as its raining here until sunday ... i only can do some indoor rounds ... i will do some more higher speed tarmac runs next week but the offroad trails will be way too muddy for a some time :( 

maybe i'll order the Schwalbe Black Jack 16x1.90, they have more tread in the center so probably they are better for the 30km/h of the ks16 ... not sure if there are any e-bike ready offroad tires on the market

vinyl wraping:

its my first try at this ... :(

the upper black part is a cheap plastic decor foil from the home improvement store.

lower cover and the top part are grey/black matte vinyl wrap with airchannels 

1.png

some parts went really well if you dusted your room *cough* and other parts are tricky (near the buttons) to impossible (inside the handlearea) ... 

2.png

far away from perfect ...

3.png

the dark side, need to get the one seam a bit better.

4.png

on the front and back sides, i can't figure out how to get rid of the wrinkles ... even with heat they always return on some places nearby ... nvm 1st try and better than white ;) 

the front light cover is sprayed with color changing plasti dip. tomorrow i'll try to wrap it with a additional layer of transparent vinyl wrap for stone chip protection ... can't get worse haha

if i can't stand the wrinkles anymore i can put on a long thin stripe of white/red reflection tape over it. seems to be legaly required in some contries for bicycles anyhow.

5.png

edit: Version 2, later in this thread works way better for newer screwless pedals ... neodym magets ;)  ( http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3955-ks16-mods-tires/?page=2#comment-58462 ) 

lets be honest, everything is better with magnets.

KS16 magnetic pedals :)

got a roll of magnetic tape and thought i give it a try.

6.png

to prevent vibrations and as a bit of a light suspension i used the standard protection foams, maybe some other thinner material would work better. i made one pedal with 1 strip of foam, and the second with 2 strips.

1.png

with 2 stripes and griptape

2.png

the adhesion from the glue is pretty nice, the magnets are ok. these don't work under the rubber pedal. maybe strong neodym magnets would work inside the pedal too. when changing the vinyl next time the magnet goes under it.

4.png

the magnet would also be retracttable if you cut or rasp some part of the rubber away.

open/closed

5.png

the left is 1 stripe, the right one is almost too high for starting ... needs some finetuning or the foam will stay compressed after the first longer ride ...

3.png

with the KS pedals even better opening-techniques are possible than with the 9bot :)

can't wait to see what other people do to their wheel :)

I like this... really great job... ;-)

5 hours ago, Blunzn said:

vinyl wraping:

its my first try at this ... :(

the upper black part is a cheap plastic decor foil from the home improvement store.

lower cover and the top part are grey/black matte vinyl wrap with airchannels 

1.png

some parts went really well if you dusted your room *cough* and other parts are tricky (near the buttons) to impossible (inside the handlearea) ... 

2.png

far away from perfect ...

3.png

the dark side, need to get the one seam a bit better.

4.png

on the front and back sides, i can't figure out how to get rid of the wrinkles ... even with heat they always return on some places nearby ... nvm 1st try and better than white ;) 

the front light cover is sprayed with color changing plasti dip. tomorrow i'll try to wrap it with a additional layer of transparent vinyl wrap for stone chip protection ... can't get worse haha

if i can't stand the wrinkles anymore i can put on a long thin stripe of white/red reflection tape over it. seems to be legaly required in some contries for bicycles anyhow.

5.png

How do you do

1. The corners near the top (assembly line between side shield and top
2. The edges of plastic cover
3. Around the led strip, etc.. ?

do you fold it around the edge, or cut it precise? 

23 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

I like this... really great job... ;-)

How do you do

1. The corners near the top (assembly line between side shield and top
2. The edges of plastic cover
3. Around the led strip, etc.. ?

do you fold it around the edge, or cut it precise? 

1 & 2. just wrap appx .5 to 1 cm around the corner, apply heat and pressure, like in any vinyl wrap tutorial on youtube.

if the backside of the part is inside you dont need much overlap ... less is more but on the lower sider where the backside is open and gets muddy use 1cm+ to wrap around. 

3. like in the first picture, put it on, then cut out the parts where the led strip and the middle part are with a stanley knife. i wrapped it only 90° otherwise the lcd cover does on some places not go in deep enough anymore.

There are some problematic parts:

If you start applying the vinyl at A -> you get wrinkles at B ... if you start at B you get wrinkles all over A ... i plan to put 2 small white reflector tapes in front and 2 red over the wrinkels on the backside. or a single black foam bumper stripe ... hmmm

the 4 corners at C need to be cut and muddled together.

inside the trolley area at E you need to improvise, no way to do them in one part, but they are inside.

other than that the top part is pretty easy.

at D the small narrow area between the padding and the lcd ring is pretty annoying ... on one side i tried to press a small strip of vinyl inside, on the other i used black plastidip to get rid of the thin while line. maybe a black marker would work too.

7.png

some update on the Pedals.

Con: if you lay the KS on the side, the pedal loosens and clashes on the floor. (not when you lean it on a wall or balance it)

I used transparent protectors for chairs. at the small ones at 1 the pedal makes contact and the magnet looses contact. the pedal falls on 2 & then 3. Hope the rubbery things at point 3 don't make troubles while scratching the pedals during cornering.

7b.png

some more rubber protectors for less noise and scratches from the griptape. these should be small and flat ones if your magnet is not strong enough.

9.png

i also cut the foam in half. this way the pedals are not as high and its easier to start, while still reducing noise. maybe the soft side of a velcro tape would work too.

8.png

ofc you can if they are the right dimension, but with the max speed, power and weight of the acm, maybe an e-bike ready touring tire with more profile is better than an wobbly offroad tire.

e.g. something like this would be more stable and is made for up to 50 km/h. http://www.schwalbe.com/de/tour-reader/marathon.html

and keep in mind that most of this small offroad tires are only up to ~50kg while street tires are 70+

so i would't recommend this Kenda  for a 20+km/h wheel, the mad mike is probably the better choise for a e.g. ninebot. not sure about heavier faster wheels.

9 minutes ago, sbouju said:

Is the black looking of the original black KS16 a wraping too...?

probably not, its for sure cheaper to press the covers in the new material  than to manually wrap all of them. and you would have white scratches after a crash ... but yes looking forward to these

There would be no white scratches at the new black cases. There are two different types of black cases, one with rubberized black with white body and a solid black one made of black plastic

The picture above is the rubberized version

added bumper foam over the wrinkles. changed back to the original street tire until i find a better alternative. The Kenda K817 tire 16x1.95 is not really stable at higher speeds, not recommended for the KS16... 

18.png

removed the old black outer ring and left the inner part. to match the other side. a little bit darker grey would have been nicer ...

16.png

decided to do it in 2 parts, makes everything so much easier

15.png

getting better by applying more heat, still some short wrinkles .... next time it will be perfect :unsure:

13.png

inside

17.png

• 2 weeks later...

after a concert i took the ks16 from under the chair and wanted to roll it outside ... thats when i heared 2 metal parts hitting the floor. i looked down and though ... great going 15km back home on one leg wont be fun ... but it worked out well with just one screw as the shaft does not fall out when there is weight on the pedal. 

always tighten the black screws of the pedals really really well with a 5mm Allen key.  

On 13.5.2016 at 10:02 AM, Blunzn said:

6.png

for replacement or if you want a reserve one in your backpack, get some standard m10 screws (1,5mm thread) cut it in parts and saw a slit on one side for a screwdriver or maye you find some sort of those torx m10 screws or better but also more expensive order some "Allen Grub Screws" M10 x 1,5mm pitch, 5mm allen key, 12mm length these should be the original ones (e.g. https://www.amazon.de/pcs-Allen-Grub-Screws-M10/dp/B00445Y2JM/ )

IMG_4989.JPG

you can cut them a bit longer as there is enough space

IMG_4990.JPG

i'll check them from now on every now ad then, just to be sure.

IMG_4991.JPG 

Hey @Blunzn, just wanted to thank you for your multiple guides here - your tire change explanation helped me skip a few steps!

Also, I'm here to report that 16 x 2.5 tires do not fit the KS16. The rim size is fine, but the extra inflated thickness adds to the overall diameter and won't fit inside the shell. It might work if you do some significant shell cutting/grinding, but I'm not willing to do that, so I'll stick with the default 16 x 2.125 for now.

13327579_10153547326090496_6202281537743623006_n.jpg

Tire Update:

Kenda K817 16x1.95 : at higher speeds it tends to "oversteer" which you need to counter to not fall down - NOT recommended ;).

Schwalbe Black Jack 16x1.90 : more stable than the Kenda, but it has a quite strong "righting moment"? so you need some force to lean in a curve followed by a unfunny tilt when you arrive on the outer wider spread treads. not so cool for street-carving. the denser middle tread with the tendency to erect the tire makes it very reactive to skewed, bumpy roads or sidewalk ramps too ...

for Offroad only useage the black jack might be ok-ish, at least on wet gravel/mud and low speed (<20km/h) it rode very well. 

all in all better than the Kenda but NOT recommeded :-(  

IMG_5026b.png

back to the standard street tire and ordering the mad mike 16x2.125 ... hope that the more uniform and bigger tread make them more KS16 friendly ... :-( 

ok, got my Schwalbe Mad Mike 16x2.125 and its the best till now, forget the above tires. very agile but it leans steady and consistent into a curve. 3.5 bar was a bit much offroads, but 2.8 bar with my 70kg (without gear) felt nice. Haven't tried max speed carving yet but at 20-25km/h it behaved nicely, and great traction through mud and gravel.

1.png

velcroed a old lamp on the side of the KS16 for additional light.

3.png

got myself a helmet (Bell with removeable chinguard) and always wear my metal wristguards and mtb knee, elbow, waist and torso protectors. 

2.png

and a short video of the ride.

Archived