Wheel width

mark321

There were a couple threads recently talking about wheel diameter, but I'm wondering what experiences people have had with other wheel widths. My kingsong 14" has 2.125" width tires, and most EUC seem to use tires in that ballpark. In the bicycle world I had occasion to ride a fat bike recently (4+ inch tires) and it seems to me extra wide tires would give an EUC much better stability over cracks and potholes.

Has anyone ridden an EUC with significantly fatter tires than the norm? The closet I can think of are the airwheels I've seen in pictures with two side-by-side wheels, and I don't guess I've read any rave reviews saying how much better it navigates rough roads than the norm. Am I wrong about the extra stability that a fat tire "should" provide?

I believe that the MSuper has a very wide wheel width, and I believe that's primarily what gives it such a smooth ride. So I agree with this notion. If the ACM 16 had these wider tires and longer pedals, I would have given it more consideration.

1 hour ago, mark321 said:

There were a couple threads recently talking about wheel diameter, but I'm wondering what experiences people have had with other wheel widths. My kingsong 14" has 2.125" width tires, and most EUC seem to use tires in that ballpark. In the bicycle world I had occasion to ride a fat bike recently (4+ inch tires) and it seems to me extra wide tires would give an EUC much better stability over cracks and potholes.

Has anyone ridden an EUC with significantly fatter tires than the norm? The closet I can think of are the airwheels I've seen in pictures with two side-by-side wheels, and I don't guess I've read any rave reviews saying how much better it navigates rough roads than the norm. Am I wrong about the extra stability that a fat tire "should" provide?

I have a lhotz/191. That's a lovely thick 2.5inch tire. The pros are it's extremely stable and forgiving at very, very low speeds and probably (not that I'd know) good for off-road use.

The negatives are in my opinion it doesn't look as good as the narrower tires. That 'knife's edge' look of the ninebots etc add to the overall coolness of the general euc form-factor.

i tried a Ninebot after what must've been months using my lhotz the other day and it definitely took 10/20 minutes to get my confidence back up to normal levels - such was the culture shock. 

1 hour ago, mark321 said:

...The closet I can think of are the airwheels I've seen in pictures with two side-by-side wheels, and I don't guess I've read any rave reviews saying how much better it navigates rough roads than the norm. Am I wrong about the extra stability that a fat tire "should" provide?

2 wheeled side by side wheels are mor stable on leveled ground - as soon as the street has somthing like a buckle (in/decline to any side) its much harder to drive straight.

there was a thread around here with one putting one fat tire over both wheel rims of such a 2 wheeled euc.

IPS Lhotz 2,5 inch, but it also has higher side walls, which improves traction off-road, but has more flex under pressure, meaning less control on  the road.

Stability also depends on the motor power, and the battery voltage.

I have made a real wide tire EUC. The tire is 110 mm wide

It seemed very stable but had no reference to compare it to.

A few weeks ago I saw for the first time another person riding 14" generic EUC on the sidewalk .

I immediately jumped on the rider asking for a short ride . It felt to me extremely unstable but I only had less then 1 minute to ride it though

That is what I can say about the issue:)   

As above the IPS 191 is a 2.5" tyre which i find very nice to use. I have nothing to compare it to having only ever ridden my own ECU but i did find that when it arrived the tyre pressure was lowish making the whole thing very stable and good to learn on. I have since pumped it up to 40psi and its now nice and firm making the wheel much more agile.

I rode it along a unsurfaced track (uneven surface, lots of small stones, tree roots, ruts, occasional horse crap obstacles) this morning for 6km and it was pretty bumpy but great fun. I think a narrower tyre would have been a more difficult ride. The fat tyre on the LHOTZ coped very well, if i could fit a 3" one i would.

Wow, thanks everybody. I'm impressed that there were so many wide wheel EUC out there that I hadn't seen. I think I'd be willing to trade in a bit of agility for not getting tripped up by cracks as much.

3 hours ago, mark321 said:

Wow, thanks everybody. I'm impressed that there were so many wide wheel EUC out there that I hadn't seen. I think I'd be willing to trade in a bit of agility for not getting tripped up by cracks as much.

Are you riding a 14incher? If you're getting tripped up on cracks and/or mini curbs etc it's the diameter of the tire you want to increase, not the width. 16 is widely accepted as the sweet spot between manoeuvrebility and stability

My ks18a has a 2.5" wide tire, a wide tire is nice to have, a 4" would be really nice for sand or gravel where traction is needled. Ips makalue has a 3" tire but that unicycle it is very rare normally not seen on sale on traditional places.

Archived