2024 Begode Falcon - 14", Suspension, 100 V, 900 Wh, 1000 W Motor

techyiam

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

I think the pricing on this wheel is absolutely ridiculous. 

a 24s2p pack with what is essentially MCM5/A2 internals is not worth $1600. 

42mph no load speed makes this a hair faster than an MCM5v2, given Begodes propensity for understating net weights I suspect this will come in closer to 60 lbs than 55, and there appears to be nothing regarding spring options for heavier/lighter riders  

But damn, shut up and take my money! This is the wheel I’ve been waiting for. :)

For me, I'd say it's close but not ideal. The MCM5 wasn't easy to carry, either. Its lift recess at the top was too wide and too shallow to grab. Sure, you can still do it, but it's not comfortable and hard to carry more than 25'. The MCM trolley handle is flimsy, and the plastic mounts at the base of the handle and inside the case break easily. The MCM case uses crap plastics that disintegrate and break easily.

The cost is relative given inflation and other factors,  but hopefully the quality and materials justify it. The MCM5v2 with 40T cells cost me $1350.00 from eWheels two years ago. However, this new wheel needs a faster top speed and even better torque/acceleration.

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

A2 costs 950 around these parts. 

Here it's 1450€. And most online shops it's 1300-1500$. I personally don't really care -+500$ isn't much for once in 3-5 years buying.. (I don't buy new euc every year, so i don't care how much it cost. I care about built quality.) I would be happy spending 2500$ for Falcon type of performance wheel, IF it's built just right.. But it isn't.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Albert's just completed a tear-down/weight analysis of the Falcon, total weight is a tad under 55lb/25kg. Without the side panels & handle kit, this will shed a further ~5lb, to get it in that sub-50lb sweet spot, with only a little cheating :D 

FalconComponentWeightAnalysis..png.6e259c5633d64efa2d73ce873df719c9.png

Going plastic on the battery cases would get this thing to 50 lbs. the T4 turned into a heavy SOB once they switched over to the metal battery cases. 

Pretty inconvenient that they placed the suspension adjustment knobs inside the controller housing.

6 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Pretty inconvenient that they placed the suspension adjustment knobs inside the controller housing.

While I could not agree with you more, this doesn't seem like a wheel where on-the-fly adjustments would generally be called for. I think most riders will just be setting it to their weight and never touching it again. I can stomach 6 screws to get that done once when the wheel arrives :)

I'm just relieved that it's only 55lbs!

12 hours ago, FancyKiddo said:

Looks good, only really missing smart BMS.

Yup smart BMS would be a banger! I think it's a must for every newly released wheel.. Releasing wheel without them nowadays are just meh..

12 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Going plastic on the battery cases would get this thing to 50 lbs. the T4 turned into a heavy SOB once they switched over to the metal battery cases. 

I wonder how much weight savings would that be? 3-4lbs?

6 hours ago, Rawnei said:

True. But there are people who will set their suspension at one setting and won't ever change a thing. (I probably would be one of them.) :D 

4 minutes ago, theDirtyMagician said:

While I could not agree with you more, this doesn't seem like a wheel where on-the-fly adjustments would generally be called for. I think most riders will just be setting it to their weight and never touching it again. I can stomach 6 screws to get that done once when the wheel arrives :)

I'm just relieved that it's only 55lbs!

Rebound is something you need to tune while out and about, considering they gave you a setting for it it will be a pain in the ass to get it tuned in.

8 minutes ago, Funky said:

Still too heavy for what it is. :D 

Yeah... I think until we see a wider adoption of carbon fiber and magnesium use by manufacturers, this is the best we're going to get while still having a (hopefully) durable construction.

Like you, Funky, I would gladly pay top-dollar for a truly premium lightweight wheel if it was the complete package. My money is on Veteran doing it first, but who knows.

For now, I'll gladly take the Falcon :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Rebound is something you need to tune while out and about, considering they gave you a setting for it it will be a pain in the ass to get it tuned in.

Simple.. Don't screw on top cover while doing test drive? How hard is that?

Drive of some curbs and you will be set. Little bit give or take one way or other doesn't matter. Most important the suspension works..

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder do you need to disassemble whole wheel to do tire change? Like removing battery packs/pedals/boards/display/top plate?

Or can you simply remove display, disconnect motor, undo suspension "knobs" and unscrew battery case around pedals and slide motor out? Not needing to remove top metal plate, battery cases.

Handle 6 screws > Top cover 6 screws > Display 4 screws > Suspension knobs 10 screws > Around pedals/battery case 20 screws. Motor slides out.

Hot diggity damn! I may actually buy it! Add big fat knobby tire, slime that bad boy till brim and you will be set till winter. At winter you will need to mount studded knobby.

Edited by Funky

Sub-50lbs is definitely possible:

55lbs
- 3.6lb pads
- 1.0lb kickstand
- 1.3lb trolley kit
+ 1.0lb support rods to replace structural support of kickstand and trolley kit  

- 3.0lb Begode pedal set
+ 1.6lb Nylonove pedal set (assuming they will manufacture something Falcon-compatible)

~ 48.7lbs

The motor and tire at 21.7lb is the bulk of the weight. I'd like to know what the tire alone weighs. Perhaps a 2.75-inch tire, like on the MCM5 v2, could save some weight.

Plastic battery cases could probably reduce the weight a couple of pounds, but they seem to be providing structural support, so I'd be wary about this mod.

You might save a few grams by replacing the mudguard, but again it seems to be providing structural support for the suspension channel. I suppose it could be shortened.

A suspension delete could save 2.9 lbs, but now it's a different type of wheel.

So without getting into lightweight materials like magnesium alloy and carbon fibre, it seems reasonable that Begode could create a 45lbs wheel capable of cruising at 50km/h...which is what the Tesla V3 was, but with less battery...sigh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

One thing for sure.. The mudguard is way, way to small! I'm worried about spray off.. Somehow i don't believe it will protect the rider.. One will need to DIY/Extend the mudguard. 

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

So without getting into lightweight materials like magnesium alloy and carbon fibre, it seems reasonable that Begode could create a 45lbs wheel capable of cruising at 50km/h...which is what the Tesla V3 was, but with less battery...sigh.

The Begode T3 was a cheaply built wheel with no suspension. Lots of plastic that are not durable. And it feels cheap while riding it. Additionally, waterproofing is marginal. Watch IT Monkey Youtube video to see the details. It is not exactly self-assuring while riding at 50 km/h. Although, it is possible to ride at 50 km/h, it start beeping at 46 km/h. It is not a wheel for cruising at 50 km/h, based on my experience.

However, it has been reliable wheel for me. It makes a good low cost starter wheels, IMO.

When I look at Albert's video on the Falcon, it looked way better built than the T3.

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

The Begode T3 [...] feels cheap while riding it.

Could you try to elaborate on what you mean? The fact that it has no suspension is the reason, or perhaps even when compared with other older wheels that also don't have it, the Tesla somehow feels cheap? I get how a wheel can feel cheap when handling it, during disassembly, the parts, etc., but specifically for the riding experience to feel cheap, I struggle to understand.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Funky said:

I wonder do you need to disassemble whole wheel to do tire change? Like removing battery packs/pedals/boards/display/top plate?

Or can you simply remove display, disconnect motor, undo suspension "knobs" and unscrew battery case around pedals and slide motor out? Not needing to remove top metal plate, battery cases.

Handle 6 screws > Top cover 6 screws > Display 4 screws > Suspension knobs 10 screws > Around pedals/battery case 20 screws. Motor slides out.

I am quite intrigued by the suspension layout. The bottom is just resting in a cup. I wouldn't be surprised if you can just loosen a few screws where the motor attaches to the bottom of the suspension/pedal hangers and slip it out without detaching any wires

Edited by DavidB
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DavidB said:

I am quite intrigued by the suspension layout. The bottom is just resting in a cup. I wouldn't be surprised if you can just loosen a few screws where the motor attaches to the bottom of the suspension/pedal hangers and slip it out without detaching any wires

Emm looking closer you may be right? The "knobs" that regulate suspension hold it attached to top plate. By unscrewing only bottom (Around pedals) it would lift along with the battery cases.. (Same way old Kingsong wheels did, whole EUC body lifts up and motor slides out.)

If you don't remove motor wiring from motherboard - you need to hope wire is long enough to slide out.. (It looks short.) Otherwise you still need to disconnect at least motor wire. If wiring isn't long enough - you also got option of making it longer yourself.. :D 

Not needing to open motherboard apartment at all would be AMAZING!!!!!!

Edited by Funky

Posted (edited)

One thing i don't get yet.. How are the pedals fasten onto axle/suspension? To me it looks like they are held by those 6 screws? Or an i missing something? 

All rider weight are held by small 6 screws? That is held by battery case?

The pedal holder slides out downwards.. 

Edited by Funky

6 hours ago, Tomallo said:

Could you try to elaborate on what you mean? The fact that it has no suspension is the reason, or perhaps even when compared with other older wheels that also don't have it, the Tesla somehow feels cheap? I get how a wheel can feel cheap when handling it, during disassembly, the parts, etc., but specifically for the riding experience to feel cheap, I struggle to understand.

Ride a T3 and a V12 back-to-back.

What wheels have you ridden?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theDirtyMagician said:

Like you, Funky, I would gladly pay top-dollar for a truly premium lightweight wheel if it was the complete package. My money is on Veteran doing it first, but who knows

Oh please please please please...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, macgyvercanada said:

Oh please please please please...

Yes please please please please...

Even realistically speaking top notch light wheel can't cost more than 2500$. It will have small amount of batteries inside and won't be big.. Even if it cost 3000$ who cares. It's only 2 month wage. But you will enjoy that wheel for YEARS!!! (I at lest will - as i would never need to buy new wheel ever.)

• Upvote 2

I already know what im doing to this wheel!

- remove kickstand

- change 3.5 tire to 2.75 or 3.00-10 (looking at Kenda K303A or similar)

- remove stock pads and replace with baby grizzlas

- paint all the orange sections black 😅

I'm so keen for the Falcon, and its pretty remarkable that the final wheel is indeed 25kg stock with pads and everything as promised, making the Falcon the only true successor to the s18 imo.