Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

2 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Wrongway says Leaperkim Wheels still experience pedal dip on braking and acceleration, is this also the case with turning?

I haven't ridden the Lynx but this doesn't happen with my Sherman-S. 

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 3

Wrongway was going down a slope. It would be more convincing if he was turning on level ground.

And even then, one has to look carefully to detect pedal angular movements.

I haven't heard of anybody else complain about pedal dipping with Veteran suspension wheels.

The best is to ride one yourself. I personally cannot detect any noticeable pedal dipping with 

Time-stamped.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, techyiam said:

since that is the very definition of soft mode.

Yeah I appreciate in soft mode this would happen. I took it he meant in hard mode. I know begode only recently fixed it with their sport mode firmware.

So the general consensus is that in hardmode it doesn't dip which is good to know. 

Just now, Voyager said:

For @The Brahan Seer In case you missed it, Adam shows the dipping on acceleration and braking from just before that point at 47:00 

No I didn't.

You mean when wrongway use the light beam to show the angular movements of the wheel.

For me anyway, it is very minute. It wouldn't have bother me one bit, nor would I have noticed it.

The question is, would that be a real problem for you while riding?

Pedal dipping is a real problem on my V12 should I choose to set pedal sensitivity to 0%, and split mode to 0% and 0%.

Ride a V12 with that setting, then you know what I mean.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Yeah I appreciate in soft mode this would happen. I took it he meant in hard mode. I know begode only recently fixed it with their sport mode firmware.

So the general consensus is that in hardmode it doesn't dip which is good to know. 

Is your current ride still the S18? Have you ridden one of the newer wheels?

You would need to ride the wheels to really know whether the points wrongway raised are concerns that would apply to you.

For me, he is making mountains out of molehills. Those are not things that would have bother me, nor would I have noticed them. 

Soft mode helps in two ways. One is in acceleration and braking, and the other is reducing bump impacts.

On a V12 or S22, the pedal moves on their on going uphill and downhill. The V12 doesn't pedal dip during turning, but that does mean there is no angular movements at all. I wouldn't know since I haven't devised a means to precisely measure the minute movements.

I can understand how some riders would prefer hard mode, medium mode or soft mode. But to complain about very small minute movements is something else.

Other than wrongway, who else has complain about these points?

In any case, the best way is for a rider to ride the wheel in question and then decide.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

My comment was directed at @The Brahan Seer because I had referenced 47:19 which was just the turning section.

In order that he can make his own mind up. 

In order for him to be certain, he would need to test ride the wheel.

The other thing is, who else has complain about it?

This reminds me of wrongway's V13 review. He trashed the V13 because it didn't fit his use case nor the wheel type that he was riding then.

He complained that the V13 was too big, heavy, and wieldy. But he has also ridden a Monster and Abrams in the past. In fact, he bought a Monster. To me anyways, the V13 is significantly easier to ride and managed than an Abrams. If he didn't like big wheels, why would he review one? Either he doesn't review it, or review it objectively.

• Like 2

@techyiam Yeah I still have the S18, unfortunately I don't have access to any other wheels so I need to do a lot of sifting through data to get a rough Idea what's what.

The nearest dealer is hundreds of miles away.

I totally agree with what you are saying about riding the other wheels. All I know is I have tried soft, medium and hard mode and didn't like the soft mode at all on the S18. But that is mainly because I ride more in trick style and as a form of workout, as well as the usual cruise on the road/trails. I appreciate a heavier/ more powerful wheel will be very different to the S18, but I can only go on what I like on my wheel atm.

I was also concerned with pedal dipping in racing too, as this is what causes many to crash, and I do like to race too around a circuit.

Everyone's feedback is very much appreciated and many youtube vlogs need to be taken with a pinch of salt too. Which is another reason this forum is so useful.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

The nearest dealer is hundreds of miles away.

Understood. Then you are in a pickle. In my own experience, using influencers' review as a guide can often end in big disappointment.

For me anyway.

For example, the EX30 was well liked by many.  But for me, it was the wrong wheel. Lucky I was fortunate enough to try one. Thanks to a kind soul.

The V13 is not a popular wheel, but I like it a lot.

4 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

But that is mainly because I ride more in trick style and as a form of workout, as well as the usual cruise on the road/trails.

The issue here is that you don't have a base reference to compare your experience on your S18, and the new wheel that you are interested in.

If I were you, I would see whether there are other reviewers, and especially owners that have made similar complaints.

14 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I was also concerned with pedal dipping in racing too, as this is what causes many to crash, and I do like to race too around a circuit.

That kind of pedal dipping is real. And the Abrams, Patton, don't have this kind of pedal dipping problem. I rode both the Abrams and Patton around a very tight coned track in Intro2Speed events. No such problems. I suspect the same will be true for the Lynx. But to be sure, wait and see what the racers have to say.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Was there something ‘political’ going on between Adam and Inmotion that contributed towards his less than complimentary reviews on the V12HT also? Or were they purely facts based? We will never know. He did make some very good observations of the V12HT faults at the time. Likewise the IM cell balancing issues. 

On the self-acceleration issue with the V12 HT, wrongway may have a point since owners have been making the same complaints on Facebook, and here on this forum in the V12 thread. Someone mentioned that the V12HT is more prone to this issue after a rider has made a very hard braking.

Regarding cell balancing, I do own a V12 (HS), not a V12 HT. I am not clear on the details on the IM cell balancing issues.

However, I do get battery related warnings and errors early on. Inmotion is really concerned with battery safety. When any little thing is off, and the owner will see an error, or a warning and a message requesting that the owner replace the battery.

Fortunately in my case, ever since I start doing manually deep cell balancing, I have never seen another error message. And the battery voltages for both packs are equal and the same as when I first unboxed my V12. And my range is still as good as when it was new. My V12 is over 2 years old.

24 minutes ago, techyiam said:

In my own experience, using influencers' review as a guide can often end in big disappointment.

For me anyway.

For example, the EX30 was well liked by many.  But for me, it was the wrong wheel. Lucky I was fortunate enough to try one. Thanks to a kind soul.

The V13 is not a popular wheel, but I like it a lot.

This is probably why I haven't bought a new wheel yet, I watch and read a lot about the new wheels from many many sources and need to read between the lines a lot. Then just as something looks promising some major issue appears and its back to square one. It's good to hear the pedal dipping is not an issue though. The Lynx is looking like a good contender, and I will see what the GT Pro and new begode wheels are like in the next few months and look at getting something in the summer. 

My next wheel will be a big difference and I will enjoy it regardless. The best wheel is the one you own ultimately.

Wrongways review on the S18 is one that helped me decide to buy it. He totally panned it and I thought thats the wheel for me. Kuji Rolls review confirmed it, (his was more complimentary), both had totally valid points which were all true, but often shortfalls don't impact that much on the rider, we just adapt to suit the wheels weaknesses.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

My next wheel will be a big difference and I will enjoy it regardless. The best wheel is the one you own ultimately.

Sometimes this true, especially if you don't have anything else to compare with, and you are on a tight budget.

But once you have ridden a blatantly better wheel, you may feel driven to get the other wheel.

You know, after I test rode the Patton, S22 and V13 at an Intro2Speed event, I knew I needed another wheel.

And on hindsight, I am glad I did.

At first, right after unboxing, I thought I may have made a mistake getting the S22. But what was weird was that the test S22 unit that I rode was great. In any case, I have bought it, so I started to play with it. There were a few key things I had to get right, and some of secondary nature. But when all was said and done, my S22 had transformed into a wheel that I really enjoy riding, especially on bumpy paved road under cold, slippery conditions. It is hands down better than any of my other wheels. However, on a smooth, dry paved road, my V12 and Abrams are still great.

It is interesting that you are aiming to take a big leap from an S18 to something like a Lynx or GT Pro.

Since you have been riding your S18 for a couple of years, you are going to miss the agility, and the light weight.

At the same time, you will most likely enjoy the suspension from Veteran.

For myself, I am also surprised by how range hasn't improved much with new crop of higher voltage, 4P suspension wheels.

When I first got my S22 (2220 Wh), it has less range than my V12 (1750 Wh). After some fiddling with cell balancing, my S22 improved to about the same or a tiny bit more range than my V12. Meanwhile my Abrams (2700 Wh) has so much more range in comparison. It's like what people say. The range on the Abrams is almost like the OG Sherman.

So, wheels like the Patton doesn't get much more range than the 100V 1800 Wh wheels of the past.

You really need to pay attention to how much range the Lyns and the GT Pro actually get, if you care about range. Good news is that early indication points to the Lynx having some gain in range.

Another thing that I find nice but not mandatory is the Smart BMS. I find that it gives me more options to deal with the battery right after I unboxed it, and after the wheel has aged.

Now that you have gotten used to your S18, you mostly will find some wheels more natural to ride with than others. If you plan to keep you S18, this could be important.

For me, it was intuitive to ride the Patton, Lynx, V13, and S19, but not the EX30, but not so bad with the Extreme and V11.

Incidentally, when I hop on the S18 (first gen) in a showroom, it felt as light and easy to ride as my T3. You are in for a shocker no matter which bigger wheel you buy. :) 

Since you are coming from an S18, and I am guessing that you don't do group rides, then the Patton could be a great upgrade from an S18, out of the box, no additional work is required. But if you think you want more, than you will have to consider the other wheels.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Put the wheel pedal mode at 100% (max hard mode). No pedal dipping.

Exactly. Normal people won't say the Lynx has an issue with pedal dipping during acceleration. Beside wrongway, who else has made that complaint.

9 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I haven't ridden the Lynx but this doesn't happen with my Sherman-S. 

Doesn’t happen with my SS. It does happen with my lynx. It’s weird feeling.   90% setting for hardness. I hope an update fixes this. 

eta- I’ll try 100%

Edited by Paul D
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Put the wheel pedal mode at 100% (max hard mode). No pedal dipping. I even tried to overtorque the wheel in hard mode and the pedals stayed flat. You can see that in my review of the Lynx. The behavior of the pedals depends on the % of hardness you set the wheel to. 

9 minutes ago, Paul D said:

Doesn’t happen with my SS. It does happen with my lynx. It’s weird feeling.   90% setting for hardness. I hope an update fixes this. 

eta- I’ll try 100%

If you try 100% and it dips noticeably, then there is a controversy. :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

If you try 100% and it dips noticeably, then there is a controversy. :) 

I ride medium mode on the SS and don’t notice a dip. I noticed it immediately after first turning the lynx on just by trolling the wheel around. It was set at 80. 

in other news, with the included seat, I finally started riding seated. First wheel I’ve had that seemed tall enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul D said:

I ride medium mode on the SS and don’t notice a dip. I noticed it immediately after first turning the lynx on just by trolling the wheel around. It was set at 80. 

But the pedal modes model have been changed to a continuous slider model instead.

Not sure whether your observation is a feature or a bug. I guess we have to wait for more owners to share their thoughts.

I guess if enough owners complain, then it is a bug, I suppose.

EDIT:

On second thought, in the video, wrongway's complaints include his claim that it has always been this way with Veteran wheels.

The data point that you have provided is that the 3 mode pedal model does not map as linear as you would have liked to the slider pedal model.

Edited by techyiam

12 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

I experienced it with my Begode RS, but haven't noticed it with my Sherman S or with my V12HT.

+1.

That's what I remembered too. People were also complaining about the EX.N pedal dipping. That was what people were defining as pedal dipping during turns.

It almost seem like wrongway is spreading FUD to harm Leaper Kim.

He is claiming that Leaper Kim has not fix pedal dipping yet to this date.

But many Pattons and Sherman-S's have been sold by now. And where are the complaints regarding pedal dipping during turns.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Voyager said:

I can’t embed the video right now but Adam (WW) mentions pedal dip during turning, and shows it at 47:19 in his recently posted Lynx video. 

I have not watched the video yet, but if he is pedal dipping in turns, it sounds like the wheel needs to be calibrated.  I did not like OG Sherman because every one that I've ever ridden pedal dipped in turns.  My Patton does not pedal dip in turns.  I'd be surprised if Lynx does when properly calibrated. However, if it is then I imagine that it will be corrected in a fw update.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

By pedal dip in turns, do you guys mean the pedals dip forward? I was never clear about what that term meant.

Exactly that.

When one turns, the wheel needs to lean inwards into the turn.

With the pedal dipping forward, the inside pedal can strike the ground.

My Sherman S pedal dips a little, but not as much as my Sherman max did (I rode both with medium setting on pedal hardness).  I experience pedal dipping when I come out of corners.  After I straighten out both pedals stay leaned forward before slowly coming back up.

Can anyone comment on how the Lynx rides compared to the Sherman S?  I'm particularly interested in comparing the stability and torque at low speeds....<20mph