MTiny - Custom minimalist EUC mod

dycus

Chris, I'm beyond words as to how impressed I am with this effort. The design, both hardware and electrical, and the mechanical packaging is next level. The reverse engineering. And this documentation.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to giving it a test ride.

:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Amazing work! The PID settings were the most interesting part to me. It's obvious in retrospect, but it hadn't occurred to me that the PID feedback would be tuned for a heavy lower mass. Great white wires, excellent photos, and true engineering skills. Well done!

That is an impressive project. But it does seem to need a wheel guard and surely it would be more comfortable if the wheel carried the battery weight and that way you would have the added benefit of having only one item to carry. You know, like an Mten3 :efee612b4b:

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dycus said:

But that way you don't get a fun engineering challenge or unique conversation piece, so what's the point? :D

I guess the point could be wondering why you didn't want to invest your awesome engineering talent into something that (additionally) furthers usability, or at least doesn't downsize it by kinda a lot.

3 hours ago, Mono said:

I guess the point could be wondering why you didn't want to invest your awesome engineering talent into something that (additionally) furthers usability, or at least doesn't downsize it by kinda a lot.

Sometimes I just want to do something fun just to see if I can. And I learned some cool things while doing it (the firmware hacking and PID tuning). Surely you've done things just for the fun of it, even if it's pointless or dangerous, like climbing a tree or something?

Yeah, this mod makes an old EUC less usable. But it makes it a lot more interesting and cool (well, in my opinion) and was a lot of fun to make. And that's entirely reason enough to do it.

In the past I made a more practical mod for my S18, which used a magnetic tether and backpack battery to extend the range:

The Mten cable isn't detachable, I thought about it, but was concerned about it coming detached accidentally and dumping me. I am planning to make a magnetic leg strap for it to really ensure it stays away from the wheel.

It's not like this wheel is meant for commuting or anything. Literally its only purpose is for screwing around and showing off in the parking lot before group rides start. So I think it'll serve that purpose just fine. :)

Edited by dycus
  • Like 1

dycus,

i think your device has more merit that you give it.  i always wondered about what it would be like to have the power source separate from the wheel.  and you demonstrate that it does work.  i think that the cable connection between power source (backpack) and wheel is fine and it has a dual purpose in being a tether of sorts for when things go wrong and you have to get off.  i hope you make a bigger more powerful version and add some electronic monitoring goodies to it that you can wear on your wrist for monitoring purposes.  its a great innovation and who knows what you will be doing with this idea in the next few years !!!

• 1 month later...

It's certainly an interesting experiment, nice to see working, and made for an entertaining video. And I suppose the answer to the question 'Yes, but why?' is ultimately 'why not ?', but if I'm honest I don't really see the point of the concept. It's harder to get on and off, there are cables hanging about, and you have to wear half of it as a backpack - none of these things are advantages over a more normal wheel !

Edited by Cerbera

16 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

It's certainly an interesting experiment, nice to see working, and made for an entertaining video. And I suppose the answer to the question 'Yes, but why?' is ultimately 'why not ?', but if I'm honest I don't really see the point of the concept. It's harder to get on and off, there are cables hanging about, and you have to wear half of it as a backpack - none of these things are advantages over a more normal wheel !

Also you would need d*ck mud flap. 

And for ladies.. Emm nevermind. :whistling:

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1