Hello, I was riding today, took a 2min break and after going back to the wheel, the screen was off and the wheel basically in transport mode (wheel didn't spin freely, resistance). There's also this high-pitched whining sound. I try to turn the wheel off: Buttons do nothing. Nothing works. Took it home, it still "charges", at least the green lit turns on the charger.

Context: The wheel had sat unused about 3 weeks. I charge it like 10 minutes and then go have a quick ride. I think the version I have is Master V2. (Display panel says: T01-014, 2022_7_30. Pic is what Mobo looks like. Also the black gunk is silicon from waterproofing from the dealership)

So what should I do before I do anything? I don't want to do anything before I kinda have an idea what's wrong. I'm 70% sure it has something to do with me charging it so little after so long. Might be a fried Mosfet(?). But I probably should at least open it up and disconnect the wires to turn it off, right? By plugging off that middle connector or do I need to remove all the battery cables first (I saw a video of Go George Go doing that way)? The high-pitch noise is 2spooky4me and I don't know anything about electronics lmao.

IMG_20230801_155156.jpg

Edited by Jesus Tyrone Christ

Well in the first instance we should power it off, and if none of the buttons work then that will mean taking the top cover off, and disconnecting the mainboard from the chargeboard. This is the only connector that doesn't come directly from a battery pack, and is in the centre of the board. So that should power it down.

But then we have to work out why the buttons don't work, and what has happened to the wheel to put it in that state - after all it should not be able to enter transport mode on its own AFAIK... 

What was the voltage of the wheel doing when you first powered it up after the small charge ? And were you logging data with EUC World - that may also reveal something...

Edited by Cerbera

54 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well in the first instance we should power it off, and if none of the buttons work then that will mean taking the top cover off, and disconnecting the mainboard from the chargeboard. This is the only connector that doesn't come directly from a battery pack, and is in the centre of the board. So that should power it down.

But then we have to work out why the buttons don't work, and what has happened to the wheel to put it in that state - after all it should not be able to enter transport mode on its own AFAIK... 

What was the voltage of the wheel doing when you first powered it up after the small charge ? And were you logging data with EUC World - that may also reveal something...

OK thanks, unplugged, good thing whining's gone. The wheel was I think 126-ish volts, 61% battery when I turned it on. I rode it till 42% battery, didn't pay attention to voltage. I unfortunately closed EUC World and didn't have data logging on... I'll check the motherboard to see if I can see any burns or something.

Edit. No burns, no "damage", to my eyes. I don't know what a "shoddy" solder looks like so can't critique that.

IMG_20230801_165031.jpg

When you unplug the batteries is there less resistance when turning the wheel by hand?

Is something stuck in the wheel preventing it from turning freely?

Just now, Jesus Tyrone Christ said:

No, it's still resisting heavily.

6 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Is something stuck in the wheel preventing it from turning freely?

Nope, it's smooth if spun very slowly. I can feel the resistance is coming from the motor. It's sorta "bumpy" resistance.

Thinking logically: The motor is probably busted. It shouldn't have any resistance when everything is unplugged.

4 minutes ago, Jesus Tyrone Christ said:

Nope, it's smooth if spun very slowly. I can feel the resistance is coming from the motor. It's sorta "bumpy" resistance.

Not sure but it has some signs of a blown board. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Not sure but it has some signs of a blown board. 

Damn, guess I gotta start looking for a replacement. Dealership warranty ran out 1.5 months ago, so maybe I'll email Begode if they can hook me up lmao.

I'll update the thread when I get it fixed. Will probably take a month or 2 at this rate...

3 hours ago, Jesus Tyrone Christ said:

The wheel had sat unused about 3 weeks.

This is literally nothing. My wheel has sat for months, it still works, and there is no reason it should not. Not the cause of your issue.

-

If the tire is "locked" (very hard to rotate, not merely "bumpy", that's normal and just the magnets being magnets), that means there is a short somewhere. That can be between the motor power cables, the power distribution board maybe (not sure - the small thing where the batteries and charge ports plug into), or the main control board ("board", with the mosfets and all). Or any other place (is there any other place? I don't know one.).

Most likely, your board is bad. That's the standard cause of "wheel behaves strange suddenly". It can be subtly broken (without an obvious blown mosfet or such), so you cannot necessarily see anything.

If the motor isn't actually shorted (hard to gauge from your description), my guess is just that your board spontaneously died (if the motor is shorted, that's also my guess, and the board is the one shorting the motor).

Hard to explain, but the basic idea is just that something has broken and you methodically try to find out what/where that is, by disconnecting components (batteries, power distribution board, motor from main board) one after the other.

The tricky thing is to find the right version of a Master replacement board (if that's the issue), with all the zillion revisions Begode made to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This is literally nothing. My wheel has sat for months, it still works, and there is no reason it should not. Not the cause of your issue.

-

If the tire is "locked" (very hard to rotate, not merely "bumpy", that's normal and just the magnets being magnets), that means there is a short somewhere. That can be between the motor power cables, the power distribution board maybe (not sure - the small thing where the batteries and charge ports plug into), or the main control board ("board", with the mosfets and all). Or any other place (is there any other place? I don't know one.).

Most likely, your board is bad. That's the standard cause of "wheel behaves strange suddenly". It can be subtly broken (without an obvious blown mosfet or such), so you cannot necessarily see anything.

If the motor isn't actually shorted (hard to gauge from your description), my guess is just that your board spontaneously died (if the motor is shorted, that's also my guess, and the board is the one shorting the motor).

Hard to explain, but the basic idea is just that something has broken and you methodically try to find out what/where that is, by disconnecting components (batteries, power distribution board, motor from main board) one after the other.

The tricky thing is to find the right version of a Master replacement board (if that's the issue), with all the zillion revisions Begode made to it.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm still fiddling with it a bit. Are the really any major problems tho if I would get the newest motherboard and retrofit? I think the screen also needs to be replaced then as well, but everything else should work retrofitted, no?

28 minutes ago, Jesus Tyrone Christ said:

Thanks for the ideas, I'm still fiddling with it a bit. Are the really any major problems tho if I would get the newest motherboard and retrofit? I think the screen also needs to be replaced then as well, but everything else should work retrofitted, no?

Sorry, I don't know. If (if) it's always the same motor, the board version should not matter, but I never followed all these Master versions and don't know if everything is compatible. Feel free to make a thread about it, people here will know every detail you could ask for.

• Like 1

To me, it sounds like one of the motor phase wires is shorted.  Could possibly be from a wire inside the motor that rubbed against a magnet until the insulation was worn enough to expose the bare wire and short out, or possibly a blown MOSFET.  MOSFETs can short without showing physical damage, but that is not likely due to the amount of current that would flow through it. 

You can disconnect the motor phase wires from the main board and use a multimeter to measure the resistance between wires to see if one is shorted. If so, check inside the motor for the short. If there is no shorted phase wire, then the problem would be somewhere in the controller.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 1:50 PM, Magman116 said:

To me, it sounds like one of the motor phase wires is shorted.  Could possibly be from a wire inside the motor that rubbed against a magnet until the insulation was worn enough to expose the bare wire and short out, or possibly a blown MOSFET.  MOSFETs can short without showing physical damage, but that is not likely due to the amount of current that would flow through it. 

You can disconnect the motor phase wires from the main board and use a multimeter to measure the resistance between wires to see if one is shorted. If so, check inside the motor for the short. If there is no shorted phase wire, then the problem would be somewhere in the controller.

Checked the wires: All 0 and continuity mode beeps. So there's a short in the motor, it seems. I'll update when I bother cracking the motor open... It seems to be pretty tought to open. Hope this is gonna be a DIY fix with some electrical tape lmao.

Edit: I only now noticed that the wheel itself becomes "free spinning" when the motor wires are disconnected. The moment I plug them in, the wheel goes to "transport mode".

edit update