What to do in a crash

2 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

There is a pattern developing here re the knees, so this is likely the way you would like to go if you have the choice..

The incident is shot from such a distance, and in a large part of it the subject is in the shadows, so I can’t really comment or compare the incidents or which one I’d prefer.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2023 at 11:02 AM, dycus said:

Here's the Mythbusters showing that a bullet going the speed of sound hits the ground at the same time as a bullet simply dropped (with some small margin of measurement/practical test rig error)

A fast moving bullet will fall slightly slower due to aerodynamics, as a bit more air is pulled downwards (due to the wake), but the weight of the bullet is much greater than the affected air.

Edited by rcgldr

Sometimes it's just bad luck. Marty Backe got a severely broken ankle from an A2 that just shut off at 15 mph or less, with Marty falling backwards and the A2 twisting and one of his feet caught by the A2 (spiked pedals and jump type pads may have kept his foot locked in).

• 2 months later...

If you think you have become superman flying on the wheels, that's true. You have flown and kissed the concrete...let's say kiss the earth, more environmentally friendly! I enjoy watching all these crash videos, I am glad it's not me! But personally, I've had so far two faceplants during my early riding, inexperienced. 

Edited by Scubadragonsan

If you're falling off behind the wheel/ass first (which is rare) you need to do everything in your power to twist around as to not land on your tailbone. 

When falling forwards (99% of crashes) try to catch the majority of the shock with your kneepads followed up by elbow/wrist guards and attempt to slide on a combination of those 6 points (2 knees, 2 elbows, 2 wrists) 

For high speed forward crashes (50km/h+) try to fall knees first, then elbows, then wrists or you can break your wrists even with wrist guards on. 

Really important note especially for high speed crashes: If you're not riding in boots or high top sneakers RIP your ankles. 

If it was a nasty crash take off your helmet and other gear so you can check your body for damage, turn your head etc, or get someone else to check you.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

probably one of the best techniques if you can pull it off.

Talking of 'pulling it off', should you ever find yourself lying on the ground with an ambulance on the way, try and remember to unzip and unfasten as much of your armour as you can - every piece you can get off first is one the ambulance guys won't cut off you and ruin in the process !

• Like 2

18 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

try to catch the majority of the shock with your kneepads followed up by elbow/wrist guards and attempt to slide on a combination of those 6 points (2 knees, 2 elbows, 2 wrists) 

I think this is the best technique to aim for if possible. This is what I will try and do next time.

18 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

If it was a nasty crash take off your helmet

Really you should never take of your helmet in a high speed or nasty crash. 1) It might be keeping your brain together, but more likely 2) Removing the helmet might make any neck/spinal injuries a lot worse resulting in potential spinal cord damage and paralysis. So turning the head is also definitely not what to do. This is the first rule when approaching motorcycle accidents too. Never remove the helmet* (even if the rider tries to) unless you are medically trained to do so (stabilising the area). Adrenaline masks many injuries and pain at the start too. 

But if you get up from a fall without thinking, feeling absolutely fine with no pain (especially no pain around the neck or back), disorientation, confusion, fluid/ blood loss, normal pupils, no swelling feeling just like you did before the crash maybe you would take the risk.

*only exception is if the casualty is not breathing in which case you would remove the helmet to perform CPR.

Edited by The Brahan Seer
exception
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Nearly daily occurrence nowadays....

I hope his Insta hasn't been damaged, it's an expensive little gadget, and the skin doesn't grow back on the lens like it does on the hands... after some time and pain. Ok, not a particularly constructive comment, but that's probably because I don't know what to do in an accident, but more what to do before an accident. Eg. use gloves. Riding + 40 and no gloves, I can't take that seriously..

On 11/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, xiiijojjo said:

If it was a nasty crash take off your helmet and other gear so you can check your body for damage, turn your head etc,

turn your head is exactly what you should not do if there is the slightest doubt as to whether you have a serious neck injury

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Poker said:

Luckily it looked like he was sliding mostly on his backpack

From what gear he had the technique he used certainly was the best outcome for him whether by accident or design, I like to think it was by design. Hopefully he had knee protection in/under the jeans otherwise that crash might've really hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

At last an example of the perfect fall....

sh*t !  pure luck that the wheel chooses to tumble to the right instead of full blast up the neck of the rider.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robse said:

sh*t !  pure luck that the wheel chooses to tumble to the right instead of full blast up the neck of the rider.

The caption at the start of the vlog says none of this is real. So it might be incredibly good vfx. Certainly looks real and is a good example of how we wish we could fall even if in reality the odds of pulling it off might be difficult.

8 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

The caption at the start of the vlog says none of this is real. So it might be incredibly good vfx. Certainly looks real and is a good example of how we wish we could fall even if in reality the odds of pulling it off might be difficult.

i have watched it back and forth in the highest resolution and it looks very real, landscape, movements, the others on the road, but you should never say never, today almost anything can be done,   and indeed it is a good example of what you hope for happens when you (don't) crash :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...