The Photo Thread

SlowMo

40 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

a year old motors

Eh!!....given the complex copper turnings and circular magnet array the motor is made to last as long as it doesn't get dropped on the street too much.

40 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

what about shipping

To be determined. I weigh about 225. My bathroom scale goes off scale around 250. Standing on the scale with the motor it might be 260 or so...a 35 lb (15-16 kg). On the scale itself the very old scale says 30 lbs for the motor.

43 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Speedyfeet

No reply

43 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Jason

Told me what's going on with Monster's shims and other customer demands for shims. Knows about Jane's 1st email response about the motor.

45 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

battery-less new wheel

Yeah... transplanting two 800 when batteries is a nice thought. At least one of my two 800 WHr packs has charging issues that permit only 78% charge for both packs. Sort of an easy but expensive problem to remedy.

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

A few minutes ago on a grocery run. Today the wind really has blown.

Over the last few days I tried to make photo spheres with varying degrees of success due to high wind warnings and failure to complete the 46 picture sequence required to make a sphere. Generally lower altitudes than 300 feet were more successful. The battery seems to get used faster to stabilize position in high wind warning places.

Oct 30, 2018 - high wind above 300 feet

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Jane at Gotway says my motor serial number (S/N) is out of warranty and the cost of a new motor is $264.

All in all, that's a great price compared to the ~$700 figure you gave us originally. Hopefully you're feeling good about that.

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully you're feeling good about that.

I hope my renditions haven't created a poor mood impression.

Going from Google searching available vendors to getting actual direct feedback from 'Jane' at Gotway in China has been and continues to be a fascinating and positive lesson in the process of global economics.

My Monster is a high mileage EUC.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

gorgeous November night

Here on the east coast the sight of stacked container ships from China is absent. In Boston perhaps there is one (Asian home port?) ship infrequently delivers new cars and off loads them to a large lot. While Boston and the Quincy ship yards we're once a driving economic force shipping into Boston harbor is an infrequent large ship sighting (LNG in winter, new cars year round). Old timers might disagree with me on that.

Riding the Blue line (transit rail) to Government Center I was met by an MBTA official in Boston who informed me that my Monster was not allowed on the Green line which services most of the rest of Boston including the university areas.

Older guys sit around Dunkin talking about their days in the service, mostly in Europe.

There is a large Jewish community and Starbucks seems to be their turf.

While riding or when dismounting to go inside the frequent questions ask are tangibly not from prospective riders but from people who wonder what it is, what it costs and from where (local vendor? or foreign) was it purchased.

In response to Monster's cost a frequent response is 'for that much I could buy a car'!

A friend in the 1970s once flew to California. He described California residents he saw as 'always being in a rush to pursue their leisure activities'....

Locally tried and true objects (boats, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, skateboards) fit clearly into well defined uses. Clearly marked lanes, crosswalks and parking lots are a maintained standard. Anything outside of the norm if expectations is viewed with great skepticism. The suggestion that the EUC sometimes needs to be run off of when terrain wobbles the device from under the rider sets off all kinds of alarms.

Parents tend to view what their children see and what they try to explain to them in terms of choices which parents feel reinforces a safe life experience.

Things are either 'in' or 'out'.

A Brompton folding bike is labeled as  'in' until it's carriage onto a commuter rail interferes with other passengers. An EUC on the commuter rail is ok until someone with a bicycle needs the same space.

A small college campus student will frequently mock with a shouted support by saying 'the future' as I roll by.

Dog walkers with long leashes are forever acting out the reeling in of their animals before I pass on a two lane bike path.

Summer walkers along the beach ways are either amused or threatened by the site of an EUC coming their way.

14 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Riding the Blue line (transit rail) to Government Center I was met by an MBTA official in Boston who informed me that my Monster was not allowed on the Green line which services most of the rest of Boston including the university areas.

Were you given a reason why? Was this while you were on the train or in the terminal?

1 hour ago, kjon12 said:

Were you given a reason why? Was this while you were on the train or in the terminal?

Why?....I didn't ask why....I had reached my destination (Gov't Ctr) , departed the train and was headed towards the street door.  It's the first time anyone official had approached me about riding the T with the Monster.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:44 PM, Marty Backe said:

A gorgeous November night in Southern California. Out and about on my Z10 B)

IMG_20181103_182608019_HDR

You will never get old. These wheels are too amazing to get tired of.

• Like 1

At another stop on our 51-mile group ride. Here we are on the Pine Avenue Pier in Long Beach California.

From the left, @YoshiSkySun, me, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", @Jericho Das, and @Tanabe

IMG_20181111_104241328_HDR

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jerome said:

My fingers have been crossed hoping for a "long" video.:efee96588e:

I'm getting there, but editing down 50+ clips is very time consuming. Did you see the video I just posted, made by Jericho?