Begode 134v Models (and possibly T4?) - Latest V4/C4 Charge Board drains battery packs for unknown reason

Let'e see:

Fully charged: 67.2V
4.2V per cell

After packs idling disconnected:
No drain

After connecting the packs to the charging board down to 66.4V:
4.15V per cell

Will it continue draining if remaining connected?

Edited by supercurio

10 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Let'e see:

Fully charged: 67.2V
4.2V per cell

After packs idling disconnected:
No drain

After connecting the packs to the charging board down to 66.4V:
4.15V per cell

Will it continue draining if remaining connected?

It would probably keep draining, I'm topping packs up again now to make them even closer to each-other then will do connect them again and see.

Balance-charged all the packs again and connected both the charge board and main-board with the packs, same thing it again they start draining.

New observation:

Rode my wheel to bit under 50% charge today (119.2v), left the wheel uncharged for 6 hours and no drain happened, it remained at 119.2v even after 6 hours so at least we know that at some point it will stop draining, so question is what the threshold is and why, will observe this and see.

• Like 3

I just installed the new charge board since I previously had the Barbecue fire edition. Tested this out with mine as well.

My first observation was that my wheel used to overcharge a bit, usually to 134.6-134.8v. After charging overnight with the new board, it charged to 134.2, and dropped to 134.1 quickly after starting it. So not even "full" which was annoying. Maybe it can even start draining when the charger is done charging?

After letting it sit for 24 hours, it dropped to 133.3v. So it seems mine behaves the same as yours.

I would love to see some testimonials from people with older boards as well, as I'm not sure if my wheel did this or not with the old board as well. But like you're implying, it sure seems like the new boards are draining the batteries more than the old ones.

• Like 2

The Master Pro boards were also upgraded at the same time.  I wonder if those with MP also experience this vampire drain.

Andy from Speedyfeet had this to say on the matter...

image.thumb.png.597e7027d9b818d13650785a004ee76e.png

and then...

Another thing is being a high voltage wheel(as opposed to say 84v or similar) the voltage drop perceived by the observer is greater. Ie the voltage range of the packs could range between 134(4.2v per cell) down to around 89v(if they use say 2.8v per cell) discharged ( a 44v difference) vs  an 84v pack which would have a difference of only 28v between full and flat. 
Point of that is that the perceived voltage drop of a higher voltage pack is greater than a lower voltage pack thus leading people to be concerned when they see a volt drop off for example. Ie the "same voltage drop" would look like 0.3 of a volt on a 84v pack. 

But hey theres plenty of other reasons too. Be interesting to monitor it over a few weeks however.(maybe I should do that)

I am not sure if what he says holds true or not, but I don't ever remember the previous charge boards doing this, and certainly no wheel I have ever ridden before has ever lost voltage between charge and power-up a day or so later....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Andy from Speedyfeet had this to say on the matter...

image.thumb.png.597e7027d9b818d13650785a004ee76e.png

and then...

I am not sure if what he says holds true or not, but I don't ever remember the previous charge boards doing this, and certainly no wheel I have ever ridden before has ever lost voltage between charge and power-up a day or so later....

We know it's not because of imbalanced packs as I've topped my packs individually to the same voltage using adjustable charger calibrated with multi-meter, it will drain all the packs regardless how balanced they are.

Also with a voltage drop of ~1.4-1.5v which I observed (if I waited even more might have drained more) that means cells went from 4.2 per cell to 4.15 per cell which is quite a lot IMO.

Of course it's fully possible that they have implemented some sort of balancing mechanic here but if so it's a really dumb one that will drain to a certain voltage regardless of how balanced the packs here, another possibility is that there is a design flaw at work, both Kebye and Fei have not commented on the post I made in which I tagged them in 3 different Facebook groups where they are usually active.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Kebye and Fei have not commented on the post I made in which I tagged them in 3 different Facebook groups where they are usually active.

They are probably both sighing to themselves that people are still whinging after version 4 of the charge board, the last of which they have already had to send a lot of people for free already... can't see them doing it again ! But I have still got the old charge board - maybe that should go back in the wheel ?!

Just now, Cerbera said:

They are probably both sighing to themselves that people are still whinging after version 4 of the charge board, the last of which they have already had to send a lot of people for free already... can't see them doing it again ! But I have still got the old charge board - maybe that should go back in the wheel ?!

Not if that one causes worse problems which was the indication and reason to swap.

22 hours ago, Rawnei said:

We know it's not because of imbalanced packs as I've topped my packs individually to the same voltage using adjustable charger calibrated with multi-meter, it will drain all the packs regardless how balanced they are.

Also with a voltage drop of ~1.4-1.5v which I observed (if I waited even more might have drained more) that means cells went from 4.2 per cell to 4.15 per cell which is quite a lot IMO.

Of course it's fully possible that they have implemented some sort of balancing mechanic here but if so it's a really dumb one that will drain to a certain voltage regardless of how balanced the packs here, another possibility is that there is a design flaw at work, both Kebye and Fei have not commented on the post I made in which I tagged them in 3 different Facebook groups where they are usually active.

I may be over-analyzing, but I feel like it has a noticeable effect on range/voltage sag. I rode 35km after being off the charger for a day, arrived with 35%. Rode the same way and distance home after charging and arrived with 45%. Could be other factors, but I also felt that the sag at the start of the way there was more than usual. EUC World reported 65% battery after like 5 mins of 40km/h riding, that would normally be around 85-90% with the old board. 

10 minutes ago, loofv said:

I may be over-analyzing, but I feel like it has a noticeable effect on range/voltage sag. I rode 35km after being off the charger for a day, arrived with 35%. Rode the same way and distance home after charging and arrived with 45%. Could be other factors, but I also felt that the sag at the start of the way there was more than usual. EUC World reported 65% battery after like 5 mins of 40km/h riding, that would normally be around 85-90% with the old board. 

No I think we are right to over analyse this until it becomes clear what is going on and why, if it matters, and what we can do about it ! I have also noticed a similar drop in range, but I don't tend to accelerate or break very hard so haven't noticed it much in available ride power...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Not if that one causes worse problems which was the indication and reason to swap.

Yeah we kinda need to know for sure what the reason for the swap was. It's all been rather nebulous from Begode so far, as is their way...

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah we kinda need to know for sure what the reason for the swap was. It's all been rather nebulous from Begode so far, as is their way...

Maybe Ian has some insight regarding the swap?

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

Maybe Ian has some insight regarding the swap?

You'd think he would have told his technician ! But Andrew muttered something under his breath about better balancing / less fires and moved swiftly on when I asked him about it. I didn't press him, presuming he knew best, and pleased to get an updated part voluntarily replaced...

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No I think we are right to over analyse this until it becomes clear what is going on and why, if it matters, and what we can do about it ! I have also noticed a similar drop in range, but I don't tend to accelerate or break very hard so haven't noticed it much in available ride power...

Good point. Yeah, it's not like it was beeping at me but hearing 65% when 5 mins into a 35km ride was kind of concerning, was worried I wouldn't make it :X 

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Mine stops draining at 133.0v it seems, that's 4.156v per cell.

Interesting, after how long? I've had mine sit for half a day now, might give it a few more days and see where it is. 

8 minutes ago, loofv said:

Good point. Yeah, it's not like it was beeping at me but hearing 65% when 5 mins into a 35km ride was kind of concerning, was worried I wouldn't make it :X 

Interesting, after how long? I've had mine sit for half a day now, might give it a few more days and see where it is. 

I just let it be for like 2 days, checked this morning was at 133v in EUC World quickly went to 132.9v when turning on so must have been right there at the edge of what the sensor is calibrated too then checked many hours later still at 132.9v.

• Thanks 2

OK, if it doesn't drop past 133v that's not too dreadful. Mine hasn't gone down further than that either. I have taken to doing its main charge the night before a ride, and then I top it off an hour before I go to take it back up to 134 again. Not a massive drag I suppose...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

I spoke too soon, it keeps draining just much slower, checked this morning 132.6v.

What the fuck... Is it too much to ask for Begode to ride their wheels at least a few times before they consider a part revision to be working?

• Rawnei changed the title to Begode 134v Models (and possibly T4?) - Latest V4/C4 Charge Board drains battery packs for unknown reason