PSA: Inmotion V13 alarms and tiltback combined design flaw makes it unsafe to ride at high speed. Inmotion working on a fix

supercurio

@novazeus thanks for this trip down memory lane, it's also a reminder of where our safety alert systems originated from.

And remained stuck on.

And design/implementation issues prevent them to work as intended, linked to an increase in complexity, at the same time as hearing beeps is impossible for many at higher speeds.

We went forward and backwards at the same time. It's time to work on the next generation of safety systems.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It's great that Immotion is fine-tuning things but how about riders not trying to always push the absolute limits of every wheel they ride 🤔

If they wanna break their neck - why don't they. They choose to go that fast. So i figured they are ready to eat dirt?

Especially those who don't wear safety gear at those speeds. To me looks like they aren't using the brain bucket anyways.

(Sorry if it sounded "not so good/evil") But come on.. Use some common sense. Go to fast - sooner or latter you gonna fall.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, supercurio said:

@Paul A headlight blinking (when it's off) is one of the proposed addition by Inmotion indeed.
Since the V13 light cutout is clean and non-blinding, there's no harm in adding that 👍

Why not even when "on" ? I think it would be safer and easier to code/done.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

who died riding a wheel and how did that happen?

Some guy drove into garbage collecting vehicle rear.. Or so i heard.

Again rider error.

Give some minutes and i bet Paul will link you whole thing. :D 

Edited by Funky

i wonder because i saw a video where a guy supposedly hit his head on some big boulders the govt thought would be clever to place on a curve on a multiuse path.

my years of riding motorcycles on the mean streets taught me the govt is def trying to kill bikers.

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I propose Inmotion build a taser built into a tether the user must affix to their skin in order to activate/ride the wheel. At 80km/hr and 90% pwm, the wheel will gently send an electric shock to let the rider know they are pushing the limit. A greater shock can be applied if the acceleration is too aggressive. Of course, alarm and tilt-back will still be employed.

Supercurio, since you have access to discussions with Inmotion directly, perhaps you can put forth my idea that you can propose to have them implement in the next V13 revision.

Cheerios

Buy some bluetooth dog collar and put it around your leg/neck. Make app send signal when power/speed threshold is reached. Engaging the collar. :D

Side effects - user may growl. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 2

I just thought of the best safety device they should implement on all EUC's from this day forward. You should have to take a quick 5 question IQ test before each ride and if you pass, then you should be able to ride. Problem solved, because with the tilt back AND the audible warning beeps we already have ,only an idiot would ignore both so that rules out cut outs for the riders.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I just thought of the best safety device they should implement on all EUC's from this day forward. You should have to take a quick 5 question IQ test before each ride and if you pass, then you should be able to ride. Problem solved, because with the tilt back AND the audible warning beeps we already have ,only an idiot would ignore both so that rules out cut outs for the riders.

Even bots can pass those tests.. Meaning you don't need a brain to ride euc.

We need some kind buzzers/vibrators built inside the sides of wheel. Where your legs go. Big enough buzzer/vibrators could be felt true euc shell.. If people still ignores those - it's on them!

Edited by Funky

4 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

are you trying to drive them out of business? they'll have no market to sell to!

Edited by GHOSTTE
  • Like 1

yeah, i think the big difference is omgitsrazz was listening and looking for the tiltback as he approached max speed. 

how are u gonna stop humans from ignoring tiltback and alarms. or disconnecting them.

i'm not gonna put my safety in the hands of chinese manufacturers. 

being a contractor, the glass is always empty, and everything is f'ed up until u prove to urself it isn't. 

i have zero trust in humans. course the doctors telling me i only had 3 months to live 9 years ago, was the cherry on top!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Maybe instead of tilt back or beeps, have the trolley handle pop up and hit you in the junk/lady parts????🤔🤯

Resulting into what? More bruised ego, than simply falling? Because i bet you gonna fall just from the love tap.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Maybe instead of tilt back or beeps, have the trolley handle pop up and hit you in the junk/lady parts????🤔🤯

And encourage overleaning?! That’s crazytalk…………🤣🤣

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, novazeus said:

who died riding a wheel and how did that happen?

May 6, 2021

Sep 13, 2020

Dec 23, 2021

June 1, 2022

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/bicyclist-killed-in-early-morning-collision-in-san-francisco/2907328/

Man on Motorized Unicycle Dies in Collision With Garbage Truck in SF

A man on a motorized unicycle died in a collision with a Recology garbage truck in San Francisco's Hayes Valley neighborhood early Wednesday morning, according to police and Recology officials.

The collision was reported shortly before 4 a.m. in the area of Oak Street and Octavia Boulevard, where officers arrived and found the cyclist, who was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His name was not immediately released.

According to officials at Recology, the company that contracts with the city to collect and recycle waste, a collection truck was going north on Octavia when the unicyclist struck near the rear of the truck.

sf-fatal-cyclist-0601.jpg?quality=85&str

The scene of a deadly collision involving a man on a motorized unicycle and a Recology garbage truck in San Francisco. (June 1, 2022)
  • Upvote 1

i'd be thrilled if i had confidence in wheels never cutting out at half speed. 

i've never had a cut out, but i've seen lots of videos of humans overleaning and the wheel cutting out. 

i feel pretty confident in ninebot, king song and inmotion not cutting out, but still.

my use is utilitarian. a walk to my gate with Bob is an hour long affair. we do that once a day no matter what. but if i need to go to my gate a second time, and it takes me 15 minutes to suit up for a 4500' journey, i can walk faster than that.

with the old slow wheels, u could pretty much runoff if u had a problem, idk about cutouts though, never had one. never had wobbles either.

how do u stop riders going so fast before their skill level improves enough they don't have death wobbles. that looks scary to me. 

i'd be thrilled if wheel manufacturers just did quality control checks. like valves not holding air, not center tires, crappy tires, etc. 

i'd be curious to know how many riders have experienced a true cut out, not an overlean,  because of a hidden defect.