PSA: Inmotion V13 alarms and tiltback combined design flaw makes it unsafe to ride at high speed. Inmotion working on a fix

supercurio

Negative Id means that the stator's magnetic flux is opposing the rotor's magnetic flux, weakening the motor's gap flux (which is the sum of these two components – one positive and one negative, in this case). This has the result of reducing the back-EMF produced by the motor, enabling it to be driven faster at the same input voltage. However, since the motor's gap flux is also responsible for producing torque, the torque output of the motor is reduced when operating in this "field weakening" mode.

However, it is unlikely that field weakening was intentional here. The Id of -25 is probably a consequence of the wheel falling, not a cause of it.

Id is a measured value; it is not something that the controller sets. The controller is trying to keep Id = 0 by adjusting Vd very rapidly as it observes Id straying from zero. When it failed to do that—presumably due to lack of available power to countertorque the rider's lean—the wheel started to tip forward, and the measured value of Id quickly swung negative as the system went out of control.

Edited by soulson
added first paragraph description of what negative Id means

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get my first low battery tilt and warning at 14% battery.

At this time I was still able to go 42kph

At 15% battery I was at least going 58kph

I am really surprised with the low battery performance. Up hills no problem and very usable low battery speeds.

02C84F92-51F9-4B8A-AE42-CC44C010383E.thumb.jpeg.0fc163027394a7ab192488b4bbc586a3.jpegD0B28B7D-ACCD-491A-B267-1B2CA4ED4DD1.thumb.jpeg.f461250e191222d5a0f7a78ce5831390.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I rode 80 kmh today on my beloved v13 -- It was before I read this warning ......   Inmotion are not warning us? THe debate in April 2023 is about "releasing" the V13 to ride even faster ?    Why am I not surprised ?

7 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Inmotion are not warning us?

The issue only applies to those that are over leaning the wheel at near top speed. Or accelerating with power pads and everything you got. It doesn't really apply to those who are cautious about going 45mph+ on one wheel. As long as you aren't using it as a race wheel, you have nothing to worry about. The same goes for every other wheel.

• Upvote 1

Thats a relief and greatly appreciated mate ... I sit when I ride fast, Im cautious. BTW Sit and press the orange metal thingy down to get acceleration is too much fun.... Be carefull .... ON V12 its ewven more fun .... DOnt overdo it...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Any update on this issue? Has nobody else over leaned  their v13 now that their are thousands out there? Did Inmotion change anything or was it just this one incident and most likely user error as opposed to an actual "flaw"?

Seems like just the one incident, right? I've been waiting for someone else to point this out...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

Well i'm guessing we can put this one to bed since it was obviously just some random dude thinking Inmotion had cracked the code on a never faceplant wheel no matter how much you push past the tiltback mechanism. I think it's safe to assume almost a year later with no other reported cutouts this is what it was. The thread is now just serving as a propaganda article against a rock solid wheel with plenty of safety's on it.  As an owner of one who has hit the tiltback many times at high speed, i can attest to it's resilience as well as ample warning system. You would really have to try to push past it. Maybe @RagingGrandpa would agree it's not really public service announcement material anymore since he seems the most prevalent moderator as of late. I do miss our buddy @mrelwood 's commentary though. hasn't been spotted for awhile now.:(

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Well i'm guessing we can put this one to bed since it was obviously just some random dude thinking Inmotion had cracked the code on a never faceplant wheel no matter how much you push past the tiltback mechanism. I think it's safe to assume almost a year later with no other reported cutouts this is what it was. The thread is now just serving as a propaganda article against a rock solid wheel with plenty of safety's on it.  As an owner of one who has hit the tiltback many times at high speed, i can attest to it's resilience as well as ample warning system. You would really have to try to push past it. Maybe @RagingGrandpa would agree it's not really public service announcement material anymore since he seems the most prevalent moderator as of late. I do miss our buddy @mrelwood 's commentary though. hasn't been spotted for awhile now.:(

But didn't Inmotion issue fixes for it? As per their own report found linked in the OP.

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

But didn't Inmotion issue fixes for it?

No, they didn't issue "fixes" because there never was an original problem. In their statement, they acknowledged that their isn't a "constant beep" during the tiltback phase and that the rider had "overleaned" the wheel. Currently, the only difference is the beeps are constant during this phase. The tiltback remains the exact same and the OP argument was that it wasn't noticeable enough even though he had never experienced it and had never ridden that wheel.

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

No, they didn't issue "fixes" because there never was an original problem. In their statement, they acknowledged that their isn't a "constant beep" during the tiltback phase and that the rider had "overleaned" the wheel. Currently, the only difference is the beeps are constant during this phase. The tiltback remains the exact same and the OP argument was that it wasn't noticeable enough even though he had never experienced it and had never ridden that wheel.

Why not discuss and refute the data presented then and present your own analysis instead of just simply discrediting @supercurio for his effort?

Saying that it is propaganda, calling the OP a "random guy", that's a bit low just because you don't agree with the critique he laid forth.

36 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Why not discuss and refute the data presented then

I know you were able to retrieve Inmotions reply, so what is it exactly you are disputing about my claims? Did you take time to read my "refutes"?

In answer to your question, they were just dismissed.

39 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

present your own analysis instead of just simply discrediting @supercurio for his effort?

I did and it's in the above comments, my own analysis.

Do you see any other sticky threads about wheels that cutout one time?

42 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

calling the OP a "random guy

You misread my post, the "random guy" was the person on the wheel. Not the poster.

43 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

that's a bit low just because you don't agree with the critique he laid forth.

It's even "lower" to dismiss other peoples opinions as an attempt to discredit the OP. Maybe his opinion is valid just not well founded.

46 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

1) I know you were able to retrieve Inmotions reply, so what is it exactly you are disputing about my claims? Did you take time to read my "refutes"?

2) Do you see any other sticky threads about wheels that cutout one time?

3) It's even "lower" to dismiss other peoples opinions as an attempt to discredit the OP. Maybe his opinion is valid just not well founded.

1) I linked to @supercurio's analysis of the Inmotion presented data which should be relevant to discuss, my own experience when I had V11 was that tiltback was barely noticed (I know they updated the firmware adjusting tiltback to be better long after I sold mine)

2) I'm not disputing whether this thread should be sticky or not, I don't really care as I'm not personally invested, it's just that you came across as very dismissing and personally I value the effort and then later the analysis that was put into it, having had my own serious issues with Inmotion wheels before (and other brands) I think these are important things to discuss properly, as a result of getting attention at least one firmware flaw was fixed, that should be a win-win for everyone, both Inmotion and customers

3) It's one thing to have opinions but another one to rant which was what your post kinda came across as to me, it had a pretty harsh tone IMO

I'm also biased as @supercurio is my friend and I know the amount of thought and effort he puts into these things it's not just haphazard thrown together or as you wrote "propaganda", they are real concerns and often lead to positive change.

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

but another one to rant which was what your post kinda came across as to me

Unfortunately some post that you don't agree with can be misconstrued as a rant, so i can understand your interpretation.

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I'm also biased as @supercurio is my friend

fair enough.

• Like 1