First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

Jason sent me a new headlight and it arrived today.  I swapped out the new parts and had to pull the fans and control board out of the old headlight assembly and add to the new one because it came without them.  The new setup is not working though.  The fans do come on and the low beam comes on with the power button press but not the high beam.  

I’m wondering if I need to replace that control board in the head light assembly 

Side note the old light housing had a burn mark at the bottom (see photo).

9A202248-9E38-4D33-ACCB-CE7D17C3CA48.thumb.jpeg.2a224c8043dde8a05f11766cc1ca27cd.jpeg

Edited by Josiah

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

I’m wondering if I need to replace that control board in the head light assembly 

Between you and i, jason is not going to make a cent off these wheels..lol I'll have to admit, yours looks like you been riding it across @novazeus's cow pastures. You are more of a savage than i am.

• Haha 1

I want him to make his money of course.  Will definitely buy more wheels from him.  Did you see that burn spot in the photo?  So strange. 

Edited by Josiah

58 minutes ago, Josiah said:

I want him to make his money of course.  Will definitely buy more wheels from him.  Did you see that burn spot in the photo?  So strange. 

Yeah, im just joking. I'm sure he is compensated by inmotion otherwise he would be out of business with just the shipping alone. I did but am not sure if you colored it in white to highlight the area? And am not that familiar with the headlight enough to know exactly what i'm looking at. I will soon enough though, he is sending me a new motor/rim assembly along with the slide rails and damper shocks. They are the best.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, without a headlight, I’ve been doing day rights, which has meant taking a child with me, sitting on the front of the wheel.  The biggest one weights 65 lbs.  I’ve added 200 miles with them on the front.  Including going up one of the mountain bike trails to the top and back home.   Sometimes I ride seated but 99% with them sitting and me standing.  

On 5/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I did but am not sure if you colored it in white to highlight the area?

Sorry this was so dirty and hart to tell what I’m showing.  The white looking part is actually daylight shining through a burn hole/line on the headlight cell housing.  

• 3 weeks later...

Did a couple more 100 miles with the kids riding on the front of the wheel.  Chris Clark is working on a proper saddle for the V13 to replace the rolled up towel they’ve been sitting on.  Good times.  I’m getting better at starting and stopping with the extra person aboard.  Still awkward though.  

Also signed up for a group ride.  68 miles round trip from one mountain town to another here in Colorado.  I got one other person to join in so far.

Waiting on the controller for the headlight and a mud guard.  After that I’ll be cruising more often.  
My $ per mile on the V13 is down to around $7.14  getting closer to an Uber rate.

Poll:

99871C70-949C-46AB-B34B-7296984A37C5.jpeg.8d83b11f7d4145bc963dc8457f7ef110.jpeg

If a bike path sign says e bikes are not allowed.  Would you ride it with an euc?

My answer is yes.  Because a unicycle is not an e-bike.

I’ve been riding a bike path like this often.  It runs up the side of a mountain here.  I just hug the right side and at a low speed around blind corners because the power changes the dynamic of the two way traffic.  Specially the speed of the uphill traffic.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

Attempted a group ride this Sunday. I was hanging back with a guy that had 20 mile per hour top speed on a scooter. We didn’t know the route of the ride and lost the group before the first turn. I ended up going 10 miles in the wrong direction.  But my friend said, don’t worry riding this riding.

Got to meet up with another group yesterday at Ruby Hill a mountain bike park and cleared some medium size doubles.   I’m much slower than some of the other guys on the single track but it is fun pushing trying to keep up.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

Did a quick 21 mile ride up and down the mountain with my five-year-old sitting on the front. 10 miles of that she did standing up.

It’s actually more comfortable with her standing.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

41 miles up and down the mountain here  twice.  Once on the the road and once on the bike path.   Raced a car on the way up who started out trying to pass me but then couldn’t keep up with me because of the sharp winding steep incline turns.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Raced a car on the way up who started out trying to pass me but then couldn’t keep up with me because of the sharp winding steep incline turns.

Racing on a twisty mountain road, which is more thrilling, on a motorcycle, or on a V13?

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I see two very different ways of losing here. One is mental, the other is very very physical.

yes, and my point is (sorry sick humor😉), that in the end you always loose, when lucky it's just mentally, double "lucky" it's also physical. You cant beat a car in the long run, even a 60 years old vw bubble goes 110 kmph 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Josiah said:

2239A7B9-C6BF-4143-AC30-132548A1DA2D.thumb.jpeg.9799bf65fab5c62c32c2266f5e9309e4.jpeg

272AA3D9-7F6E-436E-9B39-A4E55BA89AD0.thumb.jpeg.6962359e434b5052ac2798b0b83adfc8.jpegRacing up a steep, winding mountain two-way road. The cars can’t keep up with you. They don’t have the ability to corner like we do.

This is not true. Cars can corner faster than motorcycles, fact. An EUC doing tight fast cornerings is not comparable to a motorcycle. Only 1 wheel, high cog. No way a EUC can take corners better and faster than cars. Only plausible explanation would be, that the car drivers are more sane than the EUC rider.... or just not in the mood of competing and burning rubber and fuel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bike path was flooded the other day.  Crossed 12’ of water 8” deep at low speed.  Went around on the way back.   I’m glad I crossed through the water one way to test it out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Josiah said:

I’m glad I crossed through the water one way to test it out.

Nice , i'm glad it's IP rated.

Looks like i'm having the same headlight problem as you did. I have never even rode it at night, probably had the headlight on a total of 1/2hr in all the times i rode it.

https://imgur.com/a/SpK6uqs

• Sad 1