First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

15 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Shibby_time and Trub ride S22. Chance doesn't jump much, but he was a T4 fan until it dumped him for no reason—I don't know what he's riding now but has a EBCP on the way. The local jumpers are all on S22… all of them. Mostly converts from BG's hard tails.

i think i'll fly @Josiahhere and he can buy my s22 and ride it back to colorado. i don't think i'll want to ride them anymore having the v13 demanding all my attention.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Shibby_time and Trub ride S22. Chance doesn't jump much, but he was a T4 fan until it dumped him for no reason—I don't know what he's riding now but has a EBCP on the way. The local jumpers are all on S22… all of them. Mostly converts from BG's hard tails.

Thanks for that! 

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

Hard to ignore the 130 mm suspension travel, and its effect rising rate linkage for this use case.

So the V13 suspension is 3 inches the T4 is around 4 inches and the S22 is the most with over five inches of travel.  That’s a big difference.

i’ve got an issue still where the power button will not turn the wheel off unless I do a 60 second hold down.  Also, the motor won’t engage at all. I was getting it to engage this morning by holding down the kill switch for two seconds after release, the motor would reengage, and the caution triangle would disappear.  
Just after that little bit of progress, I download the new version of emotions app at their request.  Now we’re back to the same issue where the power button is not working in the motor won’t engage at all.

Edited by Josiah

My dog started to love the wheel. I taught him to heel and run with me at any speed. He’s been very well behaved on our runs. Although the neighbors don’t appreciate him being off the leash, I probably should get one of those long retractable leashes for him.   Still a little sketchy that he might stop right in front of me as he tends to do being a shepherd dog.  
Australian shepherd mix with border collie. 

But I think he does love the wheel as I was working on it this weekend he started to lick it.  His what of helping get it working again!

it is working again by the way loose connection at the tail light, causing the kill switch to be engaged.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

This wheel dose look amazing!  The S22 might be next on my list.  @novazeus has a good deal for me.  I also like this S22 Pro in gold from ewheels. 

209FF62F-1B02-459E-9319-3C5B21CE247B.thumb.jpeg.ed9e5a64cdfc00151cc1f185cc5c23a3.jpeg

im almost ready to put some miles on the V13 waiting on thermal paste and then I’ll be back in business.

So far I’ve got less than 400 miles.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Josiah said:

This wheel dose look amazing!  The S22 might be next on my list.  @novazeus has a good deal for me.  I also like this S22 Pro in gold from ewheels. 

209FF62F-1B02-459E-9319-3C5B21CE247B.thumb.jpeg.ed9e5a64cdfc00151cc1f185cc5c23a3.jpeg

im almost ready to put some miles on the V13 waiting on thermal paste and then I’ll be back in business.

So far I’ve got less than 400 miles.

serious? a wheel with a suspension slider design so bad that it only works fault free in non existing dust and dirt free surroundings.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Robse said:

serious? a wheel with a suspension slider design so bad that it only works fault free in non existing dust and dirt free surroundings.

I think the 130mm travel and excellent rising rate linkage are too compelling for the jumpers to ignore.

Mind you at Alienrides, the specs there says the Commander Mini has 130mm travel too.

the s22 is far and away the easiest of my wheels to ride, but the tire on the s18 is f'ked up. plus the s18 is weak.

it's such a crap shoot buying any of these wheels. i'm curious to see what king song/freemotion is gonna send me for replacement sliders.

V13 after 1000 km I must say its the best and most versatile wheel ive ever ridden. Crazy fast very stable ... I love this wheel.  I go faster than before and I tackle difficult terrain better.. Limitations are: jumping and uphill climbs.

• Upvote 2

Last night I did my first ride to the cigar lounge. 5 miles and not much of a bike lane at sections, on a country road that might as well be a highway.  I’m a little nervous about speed wobbles at high speeds so took it most of the way around 25 mph.  On the way back I did a little more off-road to be further from the cars. Which there weren’t many but I felt confident being able to carve anywhere up the off-road shoulder and hill on the side of the road.  I did eat it into a 3 foot deep concrete drainage canal. No injuries though. Good thing I wasn’t going too fast.

Found some cool dirt roads on the side of the train tracks.  Ended up crossing two small train bridges (still a bit intimidating with a 20 foot drop into the abyss on either side and three sections on each bridge with a 10 inch gap in between ties).  Took and a bit of a long section in between the tracks because the gravel on the side was too soft and two angled, making for a bumpy ride.  It is fun though, to see how train tracks open up a whole new way to crosstown.  I did happen upon a few people who were a bit startled at me finding their secret hideouts.  

Also, really enjoyed riding the skinny single track on the side of the most of the bike lane and ditching off road at fields to launch off the prairie dog mounds.

Slowly, working up to and practicing bonking a curb from parallel/angles. 

And crossing into a lot of random places to practice improvised routes  in exploration mode.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok, wheel mechanics update:

I installed the thermal paste under the raptor board.

Jason sent me the suspension parts so I open the package and realized I’ve got two air suspension tubes rather than a combination air suspension tube and  dampener.

I removed the oil leaking dampener and realized it’s not the side that I had originally dented.  That side is working perfectly.  Lol.

So now I’ve got two spare air suspension tubes as backups and the original two on the wheel.  

I did find some corrosion and two cracks all the way through the tail light female wire connector.   I’m sure this is causing my kill switch/ power button issue.  Sent a note to Jason for a new tail light assembly.

25440A85-82A9-4A7A-B502-9A0CFFD15A91.thumb.jpeg.20d9a3568563cbfe3c3187f97a9c7399.jpeg

Also the nubs from @novazeus got here and my pedal is back to normal!

thanks @novazeus!

704A69D0-D8D0-4EB0-9DAA-A8FD918912D4.thumb.jpeg.f6656dd01dcf8e11561efc80f41c7e7a.jpeg

• Like 2

Jason is super busy. Seems like he’s overwhelmed. There’s been some issues getting the right parts from InMotion.  

I need a new tail light,  the wheel is un operable currently.  My stock issue is cracked at the raptor board  cable receiver.  See photo above.

I’ll probably seal the new perimeter of the female receiver with silicone to avoid this corrosion that you see in the photo.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on parts.  It’s been a couple weeks since my last ride.  Hope to get going again soon.  And hope you all are well.  

edit:

Just got word my parts are going out today.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Thanks 2

Got the tail light, swapped it out and the motor works now again.  That’s a relief.  For some reason the high beam headlight won’t turn on though.  The fans do come on but not the big beam.  Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Josiah said:

Any thoughts?

Maybe the plug into the top of it isn't snapped all the way in? Its kind of funky, doesn't really slide in like the rest of the plugs. Its like a micro version of a regular plug. Just an idea, easily checked by pulling six screws.

• Thanks 1

Longest ride yet.  From 98% battery to 23%.  Boulder Colorado to north Denver, 49 miles round trip.  Did have a bit of range anxiety.  Reached a new top speed of 46 mph.  Now when I slow down for caution I’m in the 25-30 mph range.  I ran right up on a cyote.   The wheel is so quiet he didn’t notice me until I was like 10-15 feet behind him.

Great feeling to be back in the wheel.  

654C790F-1149-4708-B663-63EA3146DA86.thumb.jpeg.51df184d72a9330950d8f68615ceb960.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1