First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, 

Super excited to be in this forum. I recently got my V8F and last weekend had my first public ride. Didn't expect to improve that quick, and It was just great, can't wait to ride it again. But there is something that I might be doing wrong, because my ankle hurts quite a bit. My dominant leg is the right one, and I tilt "inwards" the wheel to balance when I hop on, as well as there is a discomfort in the interior of my knee, where there is contact with the wheel. I might be pushing my right leg to much to feel safe, I can balance myself in just one leg and that one is in pain keeping me away from the wheel for a day or two... I think it may be normal as I am a newbie and it might go away as the body strengths, but was just wondering if anyone felt the same as starting. 

Thank you and ride safe! 

• Like 3

On 8/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, Brunus said:

But there is something that I might be doing wrong, because my ankle hurts quite a bit. My dominant leg is the right one, and I tilt "inwards" the wheel to balance when I hop on, as well as there is a discomfort in the interior of my knee, where there is contact with the wheel. I might be pushing my right leg to much to feel safe, I can balance myself in just one leg and that one is in pain keeping me away from the wheel for a day or two... I think it may be normal as I am a newbie and it might go away as the body strengths, but was just wondering if anyone felt the same as starting.

This is normal. When you're a new rider, you're going to be jamming the wheel into the inside of your leg/knee a lot more often. Same for the inside of your ankle. As you get better at balancing, riding, and controlling the wheel, you'll be able to "float" the wheel in between your legs and ride, turn, etc, without slamming the casing into your ankle/knee/shin. For heavy wheels you'll still need to anchor the shell to the inside of your leg during a lot of movements, but not nearly as much as when learning, and you'll learn how to do it without creating leg pain.

Edited by eezo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:01 AM, Brunus said:

Hi Everyone, 

Super excited to be in this forum. I recently got my V8F and last weekend had my first public ride. Didn't expect to improve that quick, and It was just great, can't wait to ride it again. But there is something that I might be doing wrong, because my ankle hurts quite a bit. My dominant leg is the right one, and I tilt "inwards" the wheel to balance when I hop on, as well as there is a discomfort in the interior of my knee, where there is contact with the wheel. I might be pushing my right leg to much to feel safe, I can balance myself in just one leg and that one is in pain keeping me away from the wheel for a day or two... I think it may be normal as I am a newbie and it might go away as the body strengths, but was just wondering if anyone felt the same as starting. 

Thank you and ride safe! 

Two things to consider as well possibly add a little padding onto your leg or onto the wheel, and also work on seated riding. It’s good to have different ways of riding to spread out the impact. I also ride one leg at a time to get the blood flowing on the opposite leg.

Edited by Josiah

• 1 month later...

Normal power off failed and had a screen and light failure that came back but still won’t power down.   Got this over wet for having no mud guard.  I’ve got a fan on it now.

I have about 1240 mileage A5F6EF1E-8561-4F9C-963B-BC52261EAD18.thumb.jpeg.46f064bb9b54b44d6ee35c4d06454c11.jpeg

Update after about one hour with the fan the wheel power down just fine I’m gonna leave that fan running and I need to install the mud guard next time before going in some wet riding again 

Edited by Josiah

3 hours ago, Josiah said:

before going in some wet riding again 

I would check the seal under the screen or at least make sure the screws are tight. Inmotion was providing phone screen protectors to cover the screen area to keep water out. Mine was fine with the hose on it but i knew the screws were tight because i tightened them myself.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while guys. I haven’t gotten the wheel up and running. I need to work on it soon. I’ve got quite the list of repairs suspension dampener, power button, headlight electronic driver board component. Mud guard and front battery protecting shields.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Josiah said:

It’s been a while guys. I haven’t gotten the wheel up and running. I need to work on it soon. I’ve got quite the list of repairs suspension dampener, power button, headlight electronic driver board component. Mud guard and front battery protecting shields.

Great to hear from you again, wow seems like quite a list. What happened?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

wow seems like quite a list. What happened?

More a long time of procrastinating than one particular event.

Merry Christmas. Haven’t talk to you guys in a long time.

I did run through my list, at least partially.  I switched the power button component and the brain part of the headlight but I think I messed up.   When reattaching the top shell onto the main body of the wheel with the sequence of the connectors because I had a big spark, and now I’m getting an error message, but I had plugged in everything except for the two big leads from the battery when I got the spark.  I’m not sure but I think the last thing I’m supposed to plug in is the big quick connect from the top part of the controller.  0CDA3B68-FF88-4DF7-9E16-1F8683D262A0.thumb.jpeg.441f35af6044aec4ff08b62dd0017c05.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Josiah said:

I’m not sure but I think the last thing I’m supposed to plug in is the big quick connect from the top part of the controller.  

The last thing is usually the 2 battery cables so nothing is powered when plugging in the control board. Also , did you drain down the capacitors by pushing the main power button after unplugging the batteries? sounds like you will have to replace the control board under the power button/display board now after the spark. Is there no Bluetooth connection now? Merry Christmas to you as well sorry for your misfortune.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Thanks 1

thanks!  Ok yeah that’s what I did then. I did press the power button after unplugging but then I also change the power button.  

Wow, so many components to run through these machines are fascinating. Where do I get the black adhesive that they use for gluing parts together and running wires through parts?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

black RTV silicone

26B6B00D-7207-4155-98ED-850F33B41010.thumb.jpeg.9d3efbef842d7dec914762f499c8b066.jpeg

Ty!! 

I thought the little 2.6 ounce squeeze tubes on Amazon for six bucks would be more useful than a big tube but I don’t know so I ordered two of those.  Also, I just built this little stand 2 x 12 and one by 4 attached with 3 inch Philips and construction screws.  My old stand was too weak, and I needed something to hold the wheel up for maintenance. Although I noticed in the instructional video, they lay the wheel on its front bumper for most of this work.

A piece of three-quarter ply instead of 1 x 4 and possibly 2 x 10 instead of 2 x 12 might work also sometimes just use what we have on hand, right?

The wheel weighs 130 some pounds you can see how heavy it is so your stand needs to be pretty beefy.  My old one was sketchy and looked like it was going to snap.   But this new guy is looking better.  Look at these little indentations from using it one time into the Douglas Fur.

90FD4A58-F8B4-45AF-849F-FE1FE23059FF.thumb.jpeg.b7ef5047b41477d7a11e0947d7f07438.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Also, I just built this little stand 2 x 12 and one by 4 attached with 3 inch Philips and construction screws.

Very nice, looks like it works well. Iv'e been spoiled by using GRK screws for everything lately, they are super strong and have a nice no slip torx head on them.

• Like 2

Merry Christmas from Colorado.B65462A6-E7DA-4FDB-B723-C8D670DB6B7B.thumb.jpeg.be99ea3872aee81ffa414a34b152cea1.jpeg

The wife got me a GoPro for Christmas that give me the motivation to get my Wheel up and running.  The new GoPro seems really cool though it’s got some kind of frame stabilization feature that should help for my horrible filming techniques.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2