Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

12 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

Well, there are covered parking garages around, but I'd need to ride to get to them. I sold my car last year because I didn't need it, I mainly use my EUC to get around the city. For out-of-town travel I'd use my motorcycle. For longer trips I'd drive the motorhome. My motorhome is a 1994 Winnebago Vectra, which is 11m (34ft) long, so not so convenient for driving to a covered parking garage.  I also struggle to think of any covered parking garages around the city that wouldn't be quite busy.

Unfortunately I just have to hope for a fine afternoon so that I can get out and enjoy my new wheel.

Is Uber/taxi/bus out of the question? I hate seeing people's plans thwarted by @#$#@ nature!! lol

Good luck!

Edited by UPONIT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UPONIT said:

Is Uber/taxi/bus out of the question? I hate seeing people's plans thwarted by @#$#@ nature!! lol

Good luck!

Can't afford an Uber or taxi - I spend all my money on EUCs and EUC accessories! Buses are far to people-y for me. Then there is the issue that all the covered parking that I can think of are quite busy with cars driving around and a lot of parked cars, not really the environment I want to be riding a new wheel in.

There's a reason why I have PEVs to get about the city, using cars or buses kinda defeats the purpose somewhat. But I'm hopeful that the weather won't suck as bad as the meteorologists are claiming, today for example I went on a short ride on my V12HT (now over 500km, after owning it for 2.5 weeks) with rain early and then no rain for most of the day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

I like the stability, I like the turning, I like the tyre, it is easy enough to ride slow, it is easy enough to ride fast, the suspension feels so damn good, the screen is easy to see. I'm 100% happy with my purchase!

Which shock and what is your riding weight?

10 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

So, my plan was to jump on the motorbike and ride over to my mother's place (I use that as my mailing address) and grab the Sherman S, borrow her car and bring it to my RV.  I checked tracking, it hasn't been delivered yet, it has gone from Auckland to the Hamilton Depot early this morning and not shown as being out with the courier. I live in Hamilton! I ring them - "can I collect my package from your depot?". So I went for a drive in my 34ft RV and picked up the package from the depot, I literally picked it up - ~50kg box, I can carry that, but I did feel the weight.

I've had a ride around the car park here, dropped off a small curb, out the driveway, around and back in the other driveway. OMG!!!! The suspension is SOOOO nice!!!! On my other wheels there is a physical jarring over any bump, on the Sherman S . . . it's just heaven!

OK, enough of that . . . I've just spent a heap of time carefully covering the sides in Velcro. It took a while because I used my more expensive Velcro, the Extreme Outdoor Velcro - which I've only found in 1" wide. So I have both sides covered to a little below where the pedals get to when they are folded.  I have my Grizzla Flow pads on.  I have also put on the bigger seat and side padding. The seat that comes with the wheel is a bit of a joke IMO, the better LK seat is a lot nicer.  I have never ridden seated, so I gave it a try in the car park, felt OK but I wasn't leaning forward enough and I rolled to a stop - I'll have to practise the seated riding, might be nice to give the feet a break on long rides. I'm not sure about the idea of riding seated without suspension, that might be too jarring - but with suspension it should be good on reasonably smooth ground.

The wheel had 1.6km on the clock when I first turned it on, now it has 6.4km on the clock. I was taking it easy, didn't see more than 44kph on the display while riding it around the car park. Now that I have the pads on and had a little ride around, I'd like to go for a bit more of a ride . . . and the rain is starting. Tomorrow is forecast to be horrible, also - I got a text from the boss asking if I can work - I guess I'll be getting rather wet tomorrow.  The day after might not be so bad for the weather, I'll see if it is fine enough after work to allow a ride. Saturday is supposed to be dry, if it is I'll be going for a longer ride that day! 

My first impressions after just under 5km of riding around a car park: I can definitely feel the extra weight, it has a heavier feel than my RS or V12HT. I absolutely LOVE the suspension, just on factory defaults for preload, rebound and compression but it feels so good that I'm not bothered about adjusting anything right now. My first quick ride was before putting the pads on, it is rideable without pads but accelerates slower than my RS or V12HT, you really need to get pads on this wheel quick smart. The pedals are fine, especially if you adjust your pads to lock your feet in fairly well so they won't move when riding over bumps. I'll still order the NyloNove pedals as soon as they are available.

Oh, and the trolley handle: I don't know what everyone is complaining about. It seems perfectly useable to me. Sure, it flexes a bit - but it doesn't take much force to roll a powered up wheel so the trolley handle works well enough IMO.  It's not like I'll do a huge amount of trolleying - I prefer to ride.

Mine arrived today. I have to admit that my first impression was pretty bad. Rusty pedal screws, the buzzer (AKA beeper) beeped once and then went silent forever (it's just broken), I also noticed a strange misalignment between the shell and the motor axle. Pics below.

Since I'm still waiting for my Grizzla pads, I decided to put on the default ones and give it a go. I did about 20 miles, reaching over 70 km/h (45 mph). I was currently riding on my Sherman MAX, so I didn't feel that much of a difference in power, but as I mentioned I was using the stock pads, so I'll withhold the judgment. The suspension works great! This is my first wheel with the suspension and so far it is an absolute blast. I have not felt or experienced any inconvenience from this misalignment I spoke of; no wobbles, no carving or taking turn problems. The wheel is quite stable. Although, I am curious - has anyone noticed a similar misalignment on the Sherman S?

BTW SS, "eyes" give away my initial feelings, but they fade quickly after a great ride.

328672955_531097092463883_6300408726729632337_n.jpg

328666936_589084802582099_6666391298867614723_n.jpg

57 minutes ago, Xeranos said:

Mine arrived today. I have to admit that my first impression was pretty bad. Rusty pedal screws, the buzzer (AKA beeper) beeped once and then went silent forever (it's just broken), I also noticed a strange misalignment between the shell and the motor axle. Pics below.

Since I'm still waiting for my Grizzla pads, I decided to put on the default ones and give it a go. I did about 20 miles, reaching over 70 km/h (45 mph). I was currently riding on my Sherman MAX, so I didn't feel that much of a difference in power, but as I mentioned I was using the stock pads, so I'll withhold the judgment. The suspension works great! This is my first wheel with the suspension and so far it is an absolute blast. I have not felt or experienced any inconvenience from this misalignment I spoke of; no wobbles, no carving or taking turn problems. The wheel is quite stable. Although, I am curious - has anyone noticed a similar misalignment on the Sherman S?

BTW SS, "eyes" give away my initial feelings, but they fade quickly after a great ride.

Yeah my wheel is misaligned like yours.  I'm at 300 miles and it hasn't gotten better or worse.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Xeranos said:

58 minutes ago, wstuart said:

Yeah my wheel is misaligned like yours.  I'm at 300 miles and it hasn't gotten better or worse.  

that means the overall structure is flexy, not the best tbh

4 minutes ago, EMA said:

that means the overall structure is flexy, not the best tbh

What do you mean by saying flexy? @wstuart confirmed that it is the same in his wheel, and I have seen other SS with the same feature. The structure does not change over time - it comes that way from the manufacturer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Xeranos said:

What do you mean by saying flexy? @wstuart confirmed that it is the same in his wheel, and I have seen other SS with the same feature. The structure does not change over time - it comes that way from the manufacturer.

it's not a feature ;) and it's not an issue of a specific wheel, it's a design issue caused by the missing bridge of the suspension.
Once you lay the wheel on a side, one side compress for the weight while the other don't

Edited by EMA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xeranos said:

its not the wheel that's misaligned, its just the mudguard. mine is like that too. no change in it over 300miles.

just ignore it.

steve

Edited by Steve Evans
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Steve Evans said:

its not the wheel that's misaligned, its just the mudguard. mine is like that too. no change in it over 300miles.

just ignore it.

steve

I would not be so sure. It's the same thing in front, near the bottom. I even tried to put fingers between those spaces and on one side (right) the gap is evidently bigger.

35 minutes ago, Xeranos said:

I would not be so sure. It's the same thing in front, near the bottom. I even tried to put fingers between those spaces and on one side (right) the gap is evidently bigger.

maybe yours is a different situation. in mine the wheel is aligned with the shell. but the mudguard (front and back) are misaligned with both shell and the wheel.

in my case it does not affect anything

good luck,

steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul D said:

I got the hulaj market suspension adjustment gizmos for the SS so I don’t have to carry a screwdriver around with me. I wouldn’t want to carry one around in case I crash. 

How often do you adjust that suspension? I haven't touched mine yet, at some point I should play around with the settings and see how it feels with more/less rebound & compression damping. For now I just want some reasonable weather so I can go out and ride.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

How often do you adjust that suspension? I haven't touched mine yet, at some point I should play around with the settings and see how it feels with more/less rebound & compression damping. For now I just want some reasonable weather so I can go out and ride.

I only have 150 miles on the wheel so far. If it’s anything like mountain biking, I’ll adjust some each ride depending on the surface conditions. 

I hope to have 5 to to 600 miles of experience after my EUC vacation. 

I’ll post some updates here. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

@mrelwood Are you sure there's a spring in each leg? I was under the impression that one leg had a spring for compression, and the other just did the damping. 

sure, the preload spring is in both legs. the hydraulic dampening system is different rebound/compression.

in a few words it's a coil spring :)

• Upvote 1