Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

Duf just uploaded video on e-rides spiked pedals for sherman-S. Install/uninstall guide in it too. I do like spiked pedals, can't  beat that feeling of control. But if learning, just wait until you comfortable with the wheel and then make the switch to spiked pedals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Very interesting. 

By trial and error, I also discovered pedal sensitivity is higher in Medium Mode than Strong on my Abrams.

It is really easy to go 58+ km/h. 

Interesting. Yeah this really surprised me.  I've had the "feel" of a wheel change with pedal settings but I've never had the actual performance change.

I've done 2 group rides in the last week where I was really struggling to keep up because I had to push so hard to maintain speed.  I'm eager to try this on next week's ride and see the difference. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chester Copperpot said:

I was using hard mode and switched to soft just to see how it felt and I found very little difference. I don’t feel much give in the wheel at all really. I’m not saying it’s not there, I’m just saying I don’t personally feel it.

It's probably just me.  I have pads that are very restrictive in how much they let me lean (very locked in feeling).  I bet I just wasn't able to lean far enough in hard mode to go full throttle, but in medium I can so it feels "faster".  

50 minutes ago, wstuart said:

It's probably just me.  I have pads that are very restrictive in how much they let me lean (very locked in feeling).  I bet I just wasn't able to lean far enough in hard mode to go full throttle, but in medium I can so it feels "faster".  

For me on my Abrams, the reason I am using Medium Mode and not Strong Mode nor Soft Mode is because only in Medium Mode am I experiencing the gain in performance. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wstuart said:

yes, i have found i really need to lean into my powerpads to get the wheel moving. sometimes if the forward pads are too far back, they prevent you from getting a really good lean/push with you shins. moving them forward can allow you to lean before you start to engage the pads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

For me on my Abrams, the reason I am using Medium Mode and not Strong Mode nor Soft Mode is because only in Medium Mode am I experiencing the gain in performance. 

I find medium mode is barely any softer than hard mode on the Abrams. I don't really feel any flex in medium mode, but I do notice hard mode feels extra "wall like" (firm) when I switch back.

I've come to prefer soft mode, which has a very noticeable flex. It's more comfortable, easier to maneuver (at least at slow speeds), and let's you accelerate and brake with less effort. The only thing is I'm scared to push really hard on it, for fear I'll overpower it. I don't know if that would happen, but I don't feel like testing it.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

I've come to prefer soft mode. It's more comfortable, easier to maneuver (al least at slow speeds), and let's you accelerate and brake with less effort. The only think is I'm scared to push really hard on it, for fear I'll overpower it. I have no idea if that would happen, but I don't feel like testing it.

Interesting.

The other reason I don't use the soft mode is because under acceleration, the pedals dips and stay dipped, unlike the Inmotion V12. On the V12, once the pedal dips, the pedals recover quickly.  Not so on my Abrams. 

I do like soft mode for ride comfort. Unfortunately, I don't get the best in acceleration. 

However, I do have the capacitor mod.

In any case, right now, it is really easy to accelerate to 58 km/h. 

Too bad tilback only goes up to 58 km/h. And I don't want to disable it by setting to 280 km/h, at least for now. 

Actually, I never noticed the pedal modes have an effect on maneuverability. I have to go through the modes and check on this.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Interesting.

The other reason I don't use the soft mode is because under acceleration, the pedals dips and stay dipped, unlike the Inmotion V12. On the V12, once the pedal dips, the pedals recover quickly.  Not so on my Abrams. 

I do like soft mode for ride comfort. Unfortunately, I don't get the best in acceleration. 

However, I do have the capacitor mod.

In any case, right now, it is really easy to accelerate to 58 km/h. 

Too bad tilback only goes up to 58 km/h. And I don't want to disable it by setting to 280 km/h, at least for now. 

Actually, I never noticed the pedal modes have an effect on maneuverability. I have to go through the modes and check on this.

I'm so happy with medium, I'm not sure I want to try soft.  I did another 20 miles with it today.

It is now the perfect wheel.....

• Like 2

Went for another ride:

CgNl25N.jpg

Now I have 335km on the wheel. I'm getting more comfortable with the wheel and more used to the weight, just have to be careful when I stop and step off because that's when you get reminded of how heavy it is. I don't really notice how heavy the wheel is when I'm riding it now. It is definitely the more stable of my 3 wheels and therefore the one I'd feel most comfortable pushing the speed, but I'm not feeling any need to push for a new speed record every time I ride it, if I hit a speed of over 60kph at some point in the ride - that is plenty fast enough for me. On footpaths & shared paths there are many pedestrians, children, dogs, cyclists and other PEV users - so I often have to ride slower for safety/consideration purposes, but I still average a way better speed than someone on a bicycle would manage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wstuart said:

I'm so happy with medium, I'm not sure I want to try soft.  I did another 20 miles with it today.

It is now the perfect wheel.....

I just went out for a 20 km run.

I tried the soft mode again on my Abrams. 

It appears both have their pros and cons on acceleration and braking, for a not so heavy guy, and on stock pads.

In Medium Mode, I find the wheel is more responsive, and more sensitive to rider input. It feels peppier, so it is more fun to ride on bike routes where getting to top speed isn't important. 

In Soft Mode, for me, when I lean on the pads, and wait, the acceleration will come and then accelerates quicker to top speed. The acceleration seems more gradual at the beginning. 

On an open road, and you want to accelerate hard to top speed, I think soft mode has an edge. 

In group rides, if everybody is going to gun it, I would want to be in soft mode to have a better chance of not getting left behind.

You should probably stay in Medium Mode for a while to establish a new baseline. So in the future, should you decide to try another mode, you would notice the difference right away.

4 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I wanted to comment on this one because when I first got my sherman S I wanted to have my pads set up in a way that made me feel locked in. Like as much contact as possible, pad right against my foot so I cant fly off, etc. I soon found out that I was doing this because I was intimidated by the wheel and wanted to feel like I had as much control as possible, but it actually bit me in the ass. Being so locked in made it very hard to accelerate/brake effectively, and I would get wobbles accelerating because the balance wasnt right. I told myself I will try setting things up like I see the "pros" do in videos, more space front and back to allow myself to move. After getting past the initial "holy shit im gonna die" feeling, I haven't gone back to how I used to ride and its been over a month. Especially with these larger wheels that sometimes like to move around a little bit, its important to give them some breathing room. Makes riding much more comfortable.

This is all my 2 cents, take it with a grain of pepper

You've got me convinced. I'm gonna sack up and try different pads that let me move.  I'm also inspired by Duf's video where he high speed runs with no pads!  This seems impossible to me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wstuart said:

You've got me convinced. I'm gonna sack up and try different pads that let me move.  I'm also inspired by Duf's video where he high speed runs with no pads!  This seems impossible to me. 

It's well worth it, I find riding to be a lot less stressful when I'm not completely locked in. Out of curiosity, what pads do you have that keep you so locked in that you need to buy different pads to have a different experience? Most pads I'm aware of would let you adjust them to be anywhere you want.

guys,

whilst riding today i noticed a knock sound coming from the motor. 

seems to happen with each wheel rotation, but not always. manually pushing the wheel in a straight line, the sound seems to happen when the wheel is in a particular position.

a have a little over 350 miles on the wheel right now.

btw, i am no longer riding the sherman for fear of a cut-out.

what do you folks think that sound might be?

thanks,
steve

here is a link to a video where you can clearly hear the knock: 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, wstuart said:

I'm also inspired by Duf's video where he high speed runs with no pads!  This seems impossible to me. 

No problem hitting the beeps on my 100v MSX or OG Sherman without pads. Many people get reliant on pads and buy them 'cos everyone uses them'. I was never a fan as they prevent decent knee bending in all circumstances except hard braking.

30 minutes ago, Steve Evans said:
guys,

whilst riding today i noticed a knock sound coming from the motor. 

seems to happen with each wheel rotation, but not always. manually pushing the wheel in a straight line, the sound seems to happen when the wheel is in a particular position.

a have a little over 350 miles on the wheel right now.

btw, i am no longer riding the sherman for fear of a cut-out.

what do you folks think that sound might be?

thanks,
steve

here is a link to a video where you can clearly hear the knock: 

If in doubt don't ride. I often have that kinda noice when rock or some debris get in there. Get away with scare. But in worst case you could have something else going there. If just a trash, then that is easy fix. Contacting the place where you purchased is the recommended support, they usually have good instructions. I am pretty sure they tell to power off and try to remove any kind of debris by rotating and moving the wheel around. And then if none are to be found, it needs service.

Some other models had problem with motor when they made sound like that on regular interval.  @supercurio is pretty good at listening stuff and coming up ways of testing out, if you have time?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Xeranos said:

This is the knocking of bearings. This is caused by the fact that the bearings are not seated properly. Below I'm putting the link to FB group - the guy had the same problem. Few mallet strikes and u should be fine.

https://www.facebook.com/100043722096051/videos/1353126645229702/

thanks for the info and the link. i contacted ewheels and they have ready gotten back me basically saying the same thing. they are also reaching out to leaperkim to get their take.

steve

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

It's well worth it, I find riding to be a lot less stressful when I'm not completely locked in. Out of curiosity, what pads do you have that keep you so locked in that you need to buy different pads to have a different experience? Most pads I'm aware of would let you adjust them to be anywhere you want.

I had these no-name foam ones that couldn't be adjusted.  I switched them out for Nylonove kinetic pads (I already had.  I have both large and xl Nylonove pads.  I want to use the xl but they won't fit with the suspension cover pad I have coming in the mail tomorrow.  The overhang on that new pad interferes with the xl nylonove - see pic (your pic)

Screenshot_20230207_221903_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, wstuart said:

I had these no-name foam ones that couldn't be adjusted.  I switched them out for Nylonove kinetic pads (I already had.  I have both large and xl Nylonove pads.  I want to use the xl but they won't fit with the suspension cover pad I have coming in the mail tomorrow.  The overhang on that new pad interferes with the xl nylonove - see pic (your pic)

Screenshot_20230207_221903_Chrome.jpg

Since that pic I actually raised mine up a bit, the tops of the pads just go over the suspension cover and it's no issue. When I eventually get the perfect positioning I'm gonna trace and cut out the part so they sit flat.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JeremySPFF said:

Has anyone heard when the ship date for the second batch of Sherman-S's is? I saw EUC Serbia youtube short and am wondering if I should get excited yet.

Yes the batch 2's have shipped, mine shipped out from China on January 12th. I should expect to receive it in the next week or so.

• Upvote 1