Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

2 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

No a good idea as a learner wheel, due to the 100 lbs and pedal height. It is doable but harder. Some people get to a point of despair and give up.

Ideally, It is better to start on a non-suspension 16" to 20" wheel between 30 to 65 ish lbs.

"Will you be happy for 2 years..." No, no, no... my 1st wheel (16X) took 8 months and I started eyeing another wheel. My 2nd wheel (OG Sherman) did take 2 years, but I already had my pre-order in a year and 4 months ago. EUC market evolves too fast. After fully paying for my SS, I was already eyeing the Commander Pro.

"...high speed fall?"  Did that on my 16X at 31 mph. I was fully geared for the fall, no problem at all. Since getting the SS, I have upgraded to full motorcycle gear and knee brace level. Also I know how to fall, no rolling, just tuck my arms in and brace for impact. I have a hard shell backpack. Rarely need it, because I don't need to carry a charger. A fellow rider broke his ribs because he had a charger in a soft backpack.

"tumbling down"... no one knows till it happens on YouTube.

Ahhh thanks for the detailed reply!

I have a motorcycle license and have had my V11 for 10 months so I know about falling with gear vs without :lol:

I was mostly concerned with the wheel not myself, but of all the heavy wheels the design seems solid.

I'm still pretty happy with my V11 its just the weak rim and the low clearance from the bottom of the suspension that I find upsetting, I've basically ruined the threads on the bottom of the "suspension holders" from clipping the ground so much when riding in the woods.

I'm pretty convinced on ordering the Sherman S I just need to wait a month or two to save up money or sell some organs

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Interesting. I honestly would have thought it felt like a slightly taller, slightly heavier Max.

Thanks for your views, good to have from someone who has ridden a fair few wheels, including the Max.

Marty has also said the SS did not feel anything like the Sherman in one of his videos (probably earlier review of the SS)

i have about 200miles on my SS now. i find it very stable at speed - but this is coming from a v12. nevertheless, not even a hint of wobbles doing <35mph (35 is my max speed to date). all this on a stock tire at 34psi. 

i did hear of folks having stability issues with the ss on the street tire tho.

this is my first knobby and i just love it. its ok for carving and amazing on gravel and muddy trails

biggest complaint is getting effective braking and accel. still working on that and its improving daily. had it for a week now from today

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

Interesting. I honestly would have thought it felt like a slightly taller, slightly heavier Max.

Thanks for your views, good to have from someone who has ridden a fair few wheels, including the Max.

Your welcome. Yeah I think I can offer the inexperience rider perspective. I'm still in my first year and Ive only done about 2500 miles on EUCs. Also I'm extremely tall which I think is complicating wind handeling.

I'm sort of trying to document my learning experience here.  I will say that if I got this wheel in my first 6 months of riding, I dont know if it would have worked out.  Brand new riders should definetly avoid this wheel.

Last night though I think I had a break through.  After riding some rough offroad, the onroad handeling got easier.  It's funny you say that it feels like your Sherman Max with suspension because that's exactly what I thought to myself last night, once I got comfortable.  I'm on mile 190 and the wheel is starting to make sense. 

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Crab said:

Dragon, did the 16x cut out at 31mph? I will not take mine over 24mph after reading of that same issue.😬

Yes, I was one of the 1st riders with EUC. OneWheel riders upgraded to V11s and OG Shermans at the time. I usually ride near the front of the pack. With those EUCs, I had to top out to keep up. 16X couldn't and cutout. I upgraded to Sherman a month later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Evans said:

i did hear of folks having stability issues with the ss on the street tire tho.

I guess I'll find out! The knobby tire is getting swapped out as soon as my wheel arrives so I won't get a chance to try it but I don't think it's anything I can't get used to. The Michelin Pilot Street on my V11 sticks like glue to the ground and it's excellent.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wstuart said:

So I've been running the Kenda knobby, and the wheel felt like it got suddenly stable the last couple times I ran it.  I've been running 33psi (high for me) to protect the rim.  When the wheel got stable I thought maybe the tire lost air and dropped to like 25 psi...... but it didn't.

I have a theory:  I wonder if the Kenda knobby tire needs to "break in" so that the knobs become uniformly rounded.  I remember seeing videos of people artificially scrubbing-in the knobby tires on their Masters with sandpaper to hasten the process and make the wheel stable.

When I look at my SS tire now (mile 190) it definitely no longer looks like a new tire.  Simultaneously, my SS now no longer exhibits the sudden fall to the side when carving. 

I dunno maybe it's all in my head and I'm just better at riding the wheel, but it definetly feels different now....

I have the kenda knobby on my SherMax and I can tell you from experience over 6.5K miles on it, it definitely wears in and you don't get that sharp feeling when turning, etc. This happens fairly soon on its lifecycle. I remember when I first had the tire that it felt weird as well, and I've also noticed that the PSI seems to drop randomly, but that's a mental thing as I've literally pulled over and checked the PSI when I felt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKW said:

I have the kenda knobby on my SherMax and I can tell you from experience over 6.5K miles on it, it definitely wears in and you don't get that sharp feeling when turning, etc. This happens fairly soon on its lifecycle. I remember when I first had the tire that it felt weird as well, and I've also noticed that the PSI seems to drop randomly, but that's a mental thing as I've literally pulled over and checked the PSI when I felt it.

Same experience here. Made 1200km on my Shermax and the knobby Kenda feels much more predictable/tame. I think it is related to the sharp corners of each knob that contribute the "jelly" feeling at first and then they start wearing out. 

With dropping the PSI I experienced something completely unexpected - by the next morning the pressure dropped to below 20 from the original 30 I set. After a close examination I replaced the valve. And I was quite surprised how poor the quality of the original valve was - it was crooked and looked like someone stepped on it before installing. Since then the pressure has been held at the same 28PSI I set in mid-December.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

i gotta believe there are a bunch of SS's out there in the wild by now. i have heard of 2 real issues (ie hall sensor). 

has anyone heard of other reports of SS problems?

any word on those that did have the hall sensor issue?

thanks,

steve

9 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Just to be clear, those aren't official leaperkim pedals correct? I thought they weren't doing that till after CNY.

I have no idea......

Aliexpress called them "Leapekim Custom CNC pedals"  and the page had the Leaperkim logo, just like the other Leapekim Sherman spare parts try sell.  All the ratcheting hardware was identical to the stock stuff too.

22 minutes ago, wstuart said:

I have no idea......

Aliexpress called them "Leapekim Custom CNC pedals"  and the page had the Leaperkim logo, just like the other Leapekim Sherman spare parts try sell.  All the ratcheting hardware was identical to the stock stuff too.

The logo on the bottom says BVD I think? They also make pedals for a variety of models. Regardless, they look great.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

The logo on the bottom says BVD I think? They also make pedals for a variety of models. Regardless, they look great.

Ohhhhh I didn't know that sticker was a brand.  Makes sense.

Yeah the quality on these things is awesome.  I'm very happy with the purchase. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Today is Friday and it is nearly 5pm, so there is no chance of it arriving this week. But Monday or Tuesday? It should definitely arrive early next week!

That's awesome, I should expect mine within the week as well! Now if only Hulaj Market would hurry up on those Nylonove footplates that would be awesome. It always takes a month or more for my Hulaj Market stuff to arrive from Poland.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

*checks weather forecast for next week* FFS, I hope that forecast is wrong! We have had so many wet days this summer, compared to previous years. I'll be hoping for a decent number of fine days throughout February!

Yep, tell me about it! :crying:

• Like 2

I have my Grizzla Flow Large pads lying around here waiting to be installed.  I have my 2" wide industrial strength Velcro.  I have the better seat & upper padding that I bought from AliExpress. I guess I'll have to put up with the stock pads for a little while, still no availability on the NyloNove pedals.  I could buy one of the CNC options, but I like the NyloNove pedals on my V12HT and I'm keen to get a pair for my Sherman S too. The Clark CNC pedals on my RS are pretty good, way better than stock, but still I like the NyloNove pedals better.

I'll consider a street tyre when it comes time to replacing the original one, but I'll see how I go on the tyre that comes with my wheel.  With an off-road tyre and suspension I'll likely have a go at a bit of off-road riding.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

but still I like the NyloNove pedals better

Yep, I hear you on that. I'm a big NyloNove pedals fan and now also their Kinetic pads fan.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

Today is Friday and it is nearly 5pm, so there is no chance of it arriving this week. But Monday or Tuesday? It should definitely arrive early next week!

Just remembered that Monday is a public holiday, I'm hoping it will arrive Tuesday, but if not then it should be Wednesday.

Let's see . . . Tuesday - rain, Wednesday-rain, Thursday - rain, clearing and becoming fine . . . Maybe after work on Thursday I could go riding, if the forecast doesn't change by then. Maybe I'll be lucky and the forecast will change for the better, I can only hope!

On 1/28/2023 at 4:52 PM, KiwiMark said:

Just remembered that Monday is a public holiday, I'm hoping it will arrive Tuesday, but if not then it should be Wednesday.

Let's see . . . Tuesday - rain, Wednesday-rain, Thursday - rain, clearing and becoming fine . . . Maybe after work on Thursday I could go riding, if the forecast doesn't change by then. Maybe I'll be lucky and the forecast will change for the better, I can only hope!

Check the forecast for Dunedin and come ride with us here any day over the next 10 days!! :-) 

Where did you get the "2" wide industrial strength Velcro" from?

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

Check the forecast for Dunedin and come ride with us here any day over the next 10 days!! :-) 

Where did you get the "2" wide industrial strength Velcro" from?

Amazon for my bigger roll, also got a smaller pack from Bunnings for around $20 I think.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 7:52 PM, KiwiMark said:

Covered parking garages to the rescue!

You may have heard that California just had 10,389 days of non-stop torrential rain?

Lowe's. Home Depot. Kaiser. Safeway. Churches. They all built huge multi-level concrete practice areas just for us!

:D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Covered parking garages to the rescue!

Well, there are covered parking garages around, but I'd need to ride to get to them. I sold my car last year because I didn't need it, I mainly use my EUC to get around the city. For out-of-town travel I'd use my motorcycle. For longer trips I'd drive the motorhome. My motorhome is a 1994 Winnebago Vectra, which is 11m (34ft) long, so not so convenient for driving to a covered parking garage.  I also struggle to think of any covered parking garages around the city that wouldn't be quite busy.

Unfortunately I just have to hope for a fine afternoon so that I can get out and enjoy my new wheel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1