Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

5 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

One thing I've noticed is the top of the suspension bruises the sides of my legs pretty damn hard. I have the official leaperkim pads coming from GTKing that hopefully will fix this.

Also forgot to post this pic. The only thing I have found issue with us the pedal extensions are all heavily rusted to the point they almost didn't come out.

My lower legs always bruise on any new wheel I have own, at the contact points with the wheel.

On both my T3 and Abrams, the bruising can get pretty bad. The pain is so acute that it deters riding. Hence, the first step on the learning curve for me would be to heal the bruises and toughen those areas.

My Abrams is quite wide at the top. But now I can even squeeze the wheel without bruising nor any other negative effects. 

From my T3 days, I find that spraying 70%-91% alcohol on the bruised areas speeds things up a lot.

5 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

The only thing I have found issue with us the pedal extensions are all heavily rusted to the point they almost didn't come out.

That's is pretty heavy rusting. Check the pedal pivot rods to see if they are as rusted too. Something is odd about that.

No biggie though, apply rust remover, and clean the rust off. Apply marine grease afterwards should do the trick.

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, Clem604 said:

those heel+toe add on things

NyloNoves come with those riser things (at least mine did). And my reseller let me choose my color scheme. Ain't the global shopping place a wonderful place?

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/590802334905787/permalink/1140155439970471/?mibextid=W9rl1R

Brand new Sherman S with rusty looking pins out of the box. The owner also has a video of the headlight not staying on. It turns off immediately after lighting up.

950643D2-A42D-4B0D-B3F8-D54B3F8CDFA8.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 12/30/2022 at 11:43 AM, Clem604 said:

I did :lol: but I still think it is worth it. I did pay a bit of a premium to buy it from Eevees to have local warranty and after sales service/support. Either way I think most will be very happy when they get the wheel that they won't be thinking about the price (maybe:unsure:)

Thanks Clem! Our first batch shipment is expected to arrive next week. Almost there! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I don't have any quota I must meet you make it worth it, I think the price is worth it every time I hop on the wheel 😊

One thing I've noticed is the top of the suspension bruises the sides of my legs pretty damn hard. I have the official leaperkim pads coming from GTKing that hopefully will fix this.

Also forgot to post this pic. The only thing I have found issue with us the pedal extensions are all heavily rusted to the point they almost didn't come out.

IMG_20221231_115600_018.thumb.jpg.f5cbf23db2d93cd5171ff081a21d6ecb.jpg

FFS - was the shipping container made out of blotting paper?? I can’t see that corrosion like that was passed by the company which came into being upon dissatisfaction with Begode’s QC arrangements? Hopefully this looks worse than it is; idk your intent apropos the pedals, but it looks like an ideal opportunity to invest a little of the sum saved in decent aftermarket pedals! 

21 hours ago, techyiam said:

Wrongway got the Sherman-S bearings rusted out because he rode on salted roads and pathways.

Maybe the bearings were already rusted. 

MIght have been wrongly assumed and attributed to the snow/salt.

Might be worthwhile to check the bearings and suspension sliders for rust before first use.

Adam did have a slight sticky issue with the suspension very early on.

1 hour ago, eevees said:

Thanks Clem! Our first batch shipment is expected to arrive next week. Almost there! 

I ordered a batch 2 but I appreciate the update. I'll be counting down the days to when the batch 2 Sherman S's arrive.

Edited by Clem604

2 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/590802334905787/permalink/1140155439970471/?mibextid=W9rl1R

Brand new Sherman S with rusty looking pins out of the box. The owner also has a video of the headlight not staying on. It turns off immediately after lighting up.

uh oh... shouldn't the distributors notice this before shipping it out? unless somehow it happened during shipping (but I think it was a warehouse thing imo)

Edited by BKW

6 hours ago, Funky said:

It may be 1 off ordeal... Not everyone will have that problem. At least i hope not everyone..

I think the pedals without rust are probably going to need replacing. I’ll give them a try though. 

Leaper Kim: You can make these pedals longer.

Me: Buys longer pedals from NyloNove.

I don't see any advantages to having adjustable length pedals on my Sherman S.  If my NyloNove pedals arrive before my Sherman S then I'll change the pedals before my first ride.  Because the Sherman S is on a slow boat from China, I've given it a head start.  Once the NyloNove pedals are available I'll order them and they will fly their way from Europe to me.  It will be interesting to see which one wins the race!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Apologies for the long post, but here is my attempt to address everything said so far. I will make another post with my findings on the wheel.

7 hours ago, BKW said:

I don't even get how this happened. You literally just got the wheel. Are they storing these in wet conditions before shipping? Also, I'm not too savvy on metals, but shouldn't this be rust proof since it's on the pedal?

Yep I got the wheel and unboxed it, this is what the pedals came out looking like. I don't believe the wheels themselves were in wet conditions, but wherever the pedals are made/stored might have been wet or something.

7 hours ago, BKW said:

Yeah, but most things shipped overseas are on a ship and they aren't rusted out like that...

I guess it's an easy fix since it looks surface-level, you can sand it and spray some rust proof on it, but that's unacceptable if it arrived like that.

Yeah the plan is to use evaporust and see how it works, however the rusting is deep enough that its actually eaten away at the metal. Its not surface rust.

7 hours ago, Funky said:

@MrMonoWheel Both pedals or only one? If both - i would be scared to open the wheel insides. (If you have not opened it already.)

The wheel has been sitting in moist place.. Which isn't looking good.

Its all 4 pedal extensions (2 per side). All equally rusted. The first thing I did when I recieved the wheel is open it up and take a look around, and I was extremely pleased. The wheel's internal and externals arrived in pristine condition, none of the screws/bolts are even marred up. Also every screw/bolt I removed had ample threadlock and were very tight.

7 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

If in fact this is a picture of the wheel he just got and we don't know because he has yet to respond. The only explanation i can think of is that because it was heavily discounted, perhaps its a re-manufactured test model. In that case the rest of the wheel should be fine but it would explain the appearance of rust on the pedal shafts. Shipping wouldn't cause this unless the container had a leak, they are supposed to be water resistant.

I'd have to disagree with the possibility of it being a reman test model, unless they replaced everything on the wheel. It came with less than 1km on the odometer presumably from testing at the factory. All my findings when disassembling it point to it being a brand new wheel, and the shipping times line up exactly with the batches of wheels US distributors just received from Leaperkim. 

7 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I know i have been following the conversation, i just didn't want to be presumptive and was in a bit of disbelief over it. I have been following this thread to gauge from him his feeling about the wheel since i still have time to cancel my v13 order and i feel he will give an honest review. He is obviously a straight shooter if that's a picture of his new pedal.

Appreciate it. I definitely dont have any brand loyalty and I am more than happy to share negative feedback and photos on my wheel, regardless of how much I paid for it. I would want others to do the same for me. I will make a post following this one with my feedback thusfar and what I have found.

6 hours ago, BKW said:

Those aftermarket pedals I saw for the SS are 300 dollars... not including shipping? Yeah, that's expensive. I'd almost rather wait it out to see if any cheaper ones come out or install those aftermarket studs myself. It's almost half a thousand dollars for some freaking pedals dude

Yep I plan on waiting until there are some aftermarket CNC pedals floating around aliexpress that I can hopefully pick up for $150 usd or less. Yes I know they might be cheap chinesium metal, I'm still gonna do it.

6 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Have you seen the "additional" seat LeaperKim (I think?) designed, that drapes over the upper suspension posts? Looks like that might solve the problem?

I actually have this on the way from GT King. Its a seat and two side parts that cover the suspension posts and motherboard bolts, I believe it will solve the problem as well as making the wheel look a little better.

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

My lower legs always bruise on any new wheel I have own, at the contact points with the wheel.

On both my T3 and Abrams, the bruising can get pretty bad. The pain is so acute that it deters riding. Hence, the first step on the learning curve for me would be to heal the bruises and toughen those areas.

My Abrams is quite wide at the top. But now I can even squeeze the wheel without bruising nor any other negative effects. 

From my T3 days, I find that spraying 70%-91% alcohol on the bruised areas speeds things up a lot.

That's is pretty heavy rusting. Check the pedal pivot rods to see if they are as rusted too. Something is odd about that.

No biggie though, apply rust remover, and clean the rust off. Apply marine grease afterwards should do the trick.

I am coming from a V11 that has been HEAVILY abused (thats another story), but I never had issues with bruising, probably because its such a thin wheel. I know over time my legs will adapt and it no longer will be an issue. Interesting about the alcohol spray for bruising, I may try it. I checked the pivot rods and they are fine, its just the pedal extensions that are rusted. I believe they are made in a different facility and were exposed to water at some point. Hell, maybe to clean off the machining chips they spray them down with a hose and put them in the box.

2 hours ago, Freeforester said:

FFS - was the shipping container made out of blotting paper?? I can’t see that corrosion like that was passed by the company which came into being upon dissatisfaction with Begode’s QC arrangements? Hopefully this looks worse than it is; idk your intent apropos the pedals, but it looks like an ideal opportunity to invest a little of the sum saved in decent aftermarket pedals! 

So far I dont mind the stock pedals, but I am still adapting to the wheel. It definitely feels like my feet are on the surface of the pedal rather than being locked in by the spikes, but I will be waiting a while until some more aftermarket options come out.

Edited by MrMonoWheel
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Thanks for the detailed updates. Very helpful and interesting.

You probably already know about this, but Naval Jelly takes the rust off and doesn't pit the good metal underneath. Brush on, wait , wipe off. Phosphoric acid. Like in your favorite soda...:cheers:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I checked the pivot rods and they are fine, its just the pedal extensions that are rusted.

That is good news. That was what I suspected.

I thought to myself that Leaper Kim probably wanted to offer a perceived fancy lengthening pedal feature, but with a very limited BOM budget that wasn't big enough. Sometimes these kind of thinking are counter productive. It is not clear that riders were asking for this feature. Aggressive spikes yes, but length extension? 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

I'm sure they would have used a more standard pedal mount if the design allowed for it. With the suspension in the middle of the wheel and the pedals mounting to the battery boxes, they had to split the mounting points rather than using one.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dycus said:

I'm sure they would have used a more standard pedal mount if the design allowed for it. With the suspension in the middle of the wheel and the pedals mounting to the battery boxes, they had to split the mounting points rather than using one.

Good point, I didn't see it that way.

45 minutes ago, dycus said:

Not necessarily. Structurally, the most direct path for the largest load to the tire contact patch is still through the axle. 

The stanchions are clamped to the ends of the axle, and the battery case is rigidly fastened to the outer slider tube at center of the case (sprung mass).

The suspension struct doesn't protrude out past the battery case. There is room for a centrally located pedal mount.

monokoleso-veteran-sherman-s-29.jpg?_x_t

You can be pretty well assured that there are "reasons" they switched... new designs are expensive. It wasn't just to be different. My money is on structure, or wanting to avoid having a large projection for the pedal hanger ala BG's latest offerings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Exposed wires on the underside of the pedals?

Is that vulnerable to damage?

They are covered with plastic backstand - everything fine. No need to worry.. What can go wrong even if they are damaged? Batteries getting destroyed or catching on fire, because of wires making contact? Simply don't think about that.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Exposed wires on the underside of the pedals?

Is that vulnerable to damage?

Honestly they are in such a spot that you would be hard pressed to damage them. The only way I can see anything happening is if you are doing some extremely gnarly offroading with massive rocks that can stab up and shatter the (admittedly durable) plastic cover. Normal crashes and drops won't make contact with this area as the tire and battery housing form a triangle that protects this area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

They are covered with plastic backstand - everything fine. No need to worry.. What can go wrong even if they are damaged? Batteries getting destroyed or catching on fire, because of wires making contact? Simply don't think about that.

While it could happen, for example, if the wheel came tumbling hard in an offroad downhill section and a pointy rock hit right at the spot where these wires are, the chance for this to happen is not that big. It is somewhat protected by the tire, the pedals and a very small bit of plastic cover.

Still, definitely not the best design and an exposed achilles heel in the right circumstances. The Begode plastic battery covers that are on some of their wheels, is also a potential failure point in a hard crash. The total surface area that is exposed on these Begode wheels is a lot bigger than on the Sherman S. So the Sherman S is not the worst i presume. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Honestly they are in such a spot that you would be hard pressed to damage them. The only way I can see anything happening is if you are doing some extremely gnarly offroading with massive rocks that can stab up and shatter the (admittedly durable) plastic cover. Normal crashes and drops won't make contact with this area as the tire and battery housing form a triangle that protects this area.

Murphys Law. Someone will have that problem, when enough units are out. But if I remember right.. I did not like that some influencer was thinking that it should be removed (the cover/stand), cause that would make it more likely someone would have the problem, of hitting em wires to something. Even minimal change events will occur if it is possible and lots of units out, that said I can only assume there must be better solution to this along the line. Maybe the design team did have more power to em than they should have.. (Oh snap, I don't even have the wheel, look at me trashing at it!):whistling: