Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

eWheels has the exclusive distribution rights in the US.

I'm fairly new to the EUC scene. Can anyone give a brief backgrounder (philosophical/business/other) on why Veteran gave exclusive distribution rights to any EUC dealer?  No knock against eWheels. Just doesn't immediately make sense to me...

1 hour ago, UPONIT said:

I'm fairly new to the EUC scene. Can anyone give a brief backgrounder (philosophical/business/other) on why Veteran gave exclusive distribution rights to any EUC dealer?  No knock against eWheels. Just doesn't immediately make sense to me...

My understanding is that eWheels invested heavily in the formation of Leaper Kim... they're part owners. (Leaper Kim is the company, Veteran is a brand)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

My understanding is that eWheels invested heavily in the formation of Leaper Kim... they're part owners. (Leaper Kim is the company, Veteran is a brand)

Thanks! That makes sense then.

14 hours ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Here's an update from Jason at eWheels regarding the Sherman S. Will update if I can get my hands on the quality report/videos he is referencing. Seems these bearings cost between $10 to $30 so not a big deal even if we have to replace them ourselves down the road.

Is your preorder of the Sherman-S through GTKing or is it through ewheels? I thought you got in on the GTKing ~$3k deal; is there a way to get the ewheels updates without preordering?

6 hours ago, rebeuc said:

Is your preorder of the Sherman-S through GTKing or is it through ewheels? I thought you got in on the GTKing ~$3k deal; is there a way to get the ewheels updates without preordering?

I got mine through GTKing, however for some of these updates they are from people in my telegram group, others I emailed Jason and asked directly what's going on. 

6 minutes ago, Dreygun said:

Ordered last night. Smartwheel.ca and Eevees dropped their preorder price even lower. Couldn't pass that up! 

You're right. The Sherman-S is now priced the same as the V13 at both EEVEES, and Smartwheel.ca for $5199 CAD.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The Sherman S is gonna be £4k in the UK. Man thats a lot of moolah for an EUC. Very depressing as I don't think I could ever justify that cost :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pricing_strategies#Creaming_or_skimming

Pricing strategies

About 30 listed.  The following is just one strategy.

Creaming or skimming

Price skimming occurs when goods are priced higher so that fewer sales are needed to break even.

Selling a product at a high price, sacrificing high sales to gain a high profit is therefore "skimming" the market.

Skimming is usually employed to reimburse the cost of investment of the original research into the product: commonly used in electronic markets when a new range, such as DVD players, are firstly sold at a high price.

This strategy is often used to target "early adopters" of a product or service.

Early adopters generally have a relatively lower price sensitivity—this can be attributed to: their need for the product outweighing their need to economize; a greater understanding of the product's value; or simply having a higher disposable income.

This strategy is employed only for a limited duration to recover most of the investment made to build the product.

To gain further market share, a seller must use other pricing tactics such as economy or penetration.

This method can have some setbacks as it could leave the product at a high price against the competition.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

You're right. The Sherman-S is now priced the same as the V13 at both EEVEES, and Smartwheel.ca for $5199 CAD.

I'm glad I kept holding off on ordering but I'm going to order now, thanks!

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

Can anyone verify the supposed new firmware with higher top speed? Is the free spin higher than 64 mph now, or are the beeps just later?  Jason said the bearings are different and the charge rubber cover is improved.  I haven't read any verified firmware update details yet. 

5 hours ago, Paul A said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pricing_strategies#Creaming_or_skimming

Pricing strategies

About 30 listed.  The following is just one strategy.

Creaming or skimming

Price skimming occurs when goods are priced higher so that fewer sales are needed to break even.

Selling a product at a high price, sacrificing high sales to gain a high profit is therefore "skimming" the market.

Skimming is usually employed to reimburse the cost of investment of the original research into the product: commonly used in electronic markets when a new range, such as DVD players, are firstly sold at a high price.

This strategy is often used to target "early adopters" of a product or service.

Early adopters generally have a relatively lower price sensitivity—this can be attributed to: their need for the product outweighing their need to economize; a greater understanding of the product's value; or simply having a higher disposable income.

This strategy is employed only for a limited duration to recover most of the investment made to build the product.

To gain further market share, a seller must use other pricing tactics such as economy or penetration.

This method can have some setbacks as it could leave the product at a high price against the competition.

Yeah, except it appears in the EUC world it takes a while for prices to drop, if at all. It did happen though. The Begode Commander has dropped in price from it's original on some distributor sites, as well as for obvious reasons regarding the Abrams, etc.

Veteran has done a decent job with this price for the Sherman-S because it's literally right on the edge of what I'd pay max for an EUC currently, and I feel like many people feel the same. Also, if you look at other PEVs on the market, for the specs the Sherman-S is on par for price (or better) than other PEVs with similar specs. Others may argue that Begode is less accurate on their initial release prices for their products considering their history and often faulty/compromised products.

And obviously, scarcity plays a big role in all of this, as it's still a niche market and few companies are selling these "premium" products.

"Skimming" is a new term for me, but describes well the marketing strategy. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

The Sherman S is gonna be £4k in the UK. Man thats a lot of moolah for an EUC. Very depressing as I don't think I could ever justify that cost :(

In a way, I like hearing people say this because it is revealing a ceiling and limit for what EUC companies may charge. It literally right on the limit of what I'd consider spending for an EUC. 5K USD is unimaginable for me, and I would never spend that much for any EUC at the current economic state.

Think KS previously had geo locking on EUCs in order to price discriminate between domestic and international market.

To prevent grey imports by overseas customers, purchasing the cheaper domestic wheel and shipping it.

Not sure how KS does it now.  Maybe different models.

5 hours ago, Jon Wall said:

Can anyone verify the supposed new firmware with higher top speed? Is the free spin higher than 64 mph now, or are the beeps just later?  Jason said the bearings are different and the charge rubber cover is improved.  I haven't read any verified firmware update details yet. 

I too would like to know this. I was able to take a short demo ride on one and absolutely love it. Would be nice to have a little higher top speed.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
formatting
  • Like 2

It was announced early around launch time that the beeps had been set pretty conservatively on the Sherman - S, and this appears to have been confirmed by a couple of riders brave/foolhardy enough to ride beyond this and into the 80kmh/50mph ‘death zone’ 😳 and survived intact 😬

Edited by Freeforester

11 hours ago, BKW said:

In a way, I like hearing people say this because it is revealing a ceiling and limit for what EUC companies may charge. It literally right on the limit of what I'd consider spending for an EUC. 5K USD is unimaginable for me, and I would never spend that much for any EUC at the current economic state.

I guess like anything, people will always buy an 'expensive' product be it fancy watches/cars etc but at £4k it's gone beyond what I can personally stomach. Even the old Sherman at £2.5k was pushing it given EUC is just a hobby for me. Add other things like I don't ride in colder months/rain and the fact I have to drive at least an hour to any decent ride point it soon becomes a bit of an expensive trinket. Additionally the concern of falling at 25+mph never really left me (despite gear), nor the possibility of smashing an uninsurable wheel into an expensive paperweight. I had a lot of good times and met some good people which of course is worth a lot in terms of wellbeing but add in the ever present threat of it being seized and 6 points on my licence it just all becomes a bit too much. I'll stick with my outdoor fun/socializing being around eMTB's.

If they were legal and it could replace many of my car journeys I would very likely justify it but with the shitty infrastructure in my area it just doesn't make sense at £4k and I've reached a point where I wouldn't want a non-sus, low range wheel now so I think thats the price it's gotta be. A great shame, I absolutely loved riding them. Anyway enough of my woes, back to the great Sherman S.

• Like 1