Dedicated device (phone)…+ EUC World

I’m definitely buying a smart phone just for a wheel device.

I’ve been resisting getting a smart phone for a phone, but that’s another matter.

So there’s a whole slew of Moto G Fast -used- on fleabay right now looking like they are in the ten dollar range.  If I’m just buying it for running one app, what’s wrong with that choice ?

Must have been a flop, that phone.

P.S. I did read a review of it, and there’s nothing major wrong with it, just sort of meh.

Lots of phones out there to choose from. 
P.S.P.S. Those G Fast auctions are getting bid up now that they’re getting closer to closing.

Edited by OldFartRides

7 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Lots of phones out there to choose from.

Last year I got a Moto Play G7. 100USD delivered (new in box). Has been fine, the camera is very bad though—maybe circa 2010. No cell plan, upload when I get home via WiFi. If you keep in in airplane mode, the battery life is excellent!

• Like 2

Samsung galaxy s9+ no sim. Was around  $150. I bet a scratced one can be had for less. Stellar for eucw and music, its a big ass screen. The s9 is prolly big enough too. For smallest, I use the lemfo lemt+ or some crap. Its a total pita when you have to do anything but start eucw. However, it works without sim card. Kinda pricey tho... I would say that just about and newer android with full OS, can handle eucw just fine. Im not sure if ios has come around yet tho...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Samsung galaxy s9+ no sim.

The S9 is a veritable bargain now tbh. I still have mine (not + version) as my daily. Bought new 2.5 years ago, it's the longest I have had a phone, and theres simply no need to change it yet. I did just replace the battery at a shop (£40 fitted) but thats to be expected. Still a very quick phone, good UI, excellent screen, good camera. It really does everything for me. I even download and edit all my GoPro vids on it. I don't touch a laptop anymore.

When riding it integrates with EUCW, logs everything, sends data to my Pebble and is always running the native music app controlled via Pebble (play/pause/skip/volume) streaming to my JBL Flip. The phone goes in a slim case attached to my backpack straps and I don't generally touch it all day when riding. For really long days I slip a 4x 18650 cell powerbank into my backpack and feed the lead through loops in the straps to the phone case. 

The ONLY thing I would really like (hopefully resolved soon) is getting the stock Sherman 70% alarm sent via EUCW to my Pebble :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Galaxy s9+ With minor screen burn for $130. It’s unlocked, so if I ever feel the need, I can replace my flip phone with it. Getting a used protector for it too. So next is getting euc world I guess. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Picked up a Galaxy s9+ With minor screen burn for $130. It’s unlocked, so if I ever feel the need, I can replace my flip phone with it. Getting a used protector for it too. So next is getting euc world I guess. 

"always visible volume button" app is nice with eucw(shown bottom pic at high transparency). YOu can set it to overlay on the eucw screen, and it allows you to control music volumes and mute, from that screen. I designed a case for the samsung s9+. I have one that grabs a sherman bar and another with a simple ring for a caribeener. Hanging the 'phone' from belt loops, is a good way to have it accessible but not in the way. I didnt get a screen protector, but the cases somewhat protect it. I must admit, the s9+ was prolly one of my best purchases, no sim card needed.

DSCN8356.jpg

DSCN8448.jpg

Shermworld.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I managed to get EUC World loaded. It seems to connect fine to the KS wheels. Took a few tries with the v11…kept losing that one. Went on a ride…could hear the phone (sort of) yammering at me from my back pocket. 
Honestly, don’t know yet if I’m gonna like this or bother with it. Time will tell. 
What I really like is the “snow globe like” phone protector I got. The dgf is complaining that all I do is stare at my phone all day long AND I’m staring at the wrong side…

Also sent Seba some money cause I believe a man should be paid for his work. Only ten percent of euc world users pay the man. Come on guys n gals, show the man some love !

8AD44199-9597-4F73-91A5-90C7826D62B1.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Took a few tries with the v11…kept losing that one.

What firmware version do you have on your V11? I'm currently working on some update for recent firmware versions. Unfortunately, Inmotion is the only wheel manufacturer that has the annoying habit of making quite significant modifications to the communication protocol with each subsequent firmware update.

19 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Also sent Seba some money cause I believe a man should be paid for his work. Only ten percent of euc world users pay the man. Come on guys n gals, show the man some love !

Thank you for your support :wub: Actually, support level across entire community has dropped below 10 %. In part this is caused by increasing popularity of EUCs and also EUC World that is very often recommended to new users. Sadly, another cause is that some users are using "hacked & cracked" EUC World APK that is distributed by some Belarusian hackers. This version, among some other modifications, has removed an Ukrainian flag and allows for using AVAS (and some other Premium features) without the need to support EUC World project (possibly even without having an EUC World account). This version is especially popular not only in Belarus, but its popularity is increasing in Russia - a second largest country in terms of number of EUC World users.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Seba said:

In part this is caused by increasing popularity of EUCs and also EUC World that is very often recommended to new users.

If I recommend EUCW to anyone, I always say that the person should subscribe as well. I think it's our duty tbh, given that the older riders amongst us remember when it didn't even exist (and therefore the welcome benefits it provides).

32 minutes ago, Seba said:

Sadly, another cause is that some users are using "hacked & cracked" EUC World APK that is distributed by some Belarusian hackers.

FFS, is nothing sacred :furious:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

May the hackers (thieves) have bountiful flat tires, broken rims, and cut-outs. May their mosfets pop, their wheels catch fire, and be left miles and miles from home.

Ok, just turned on the v11 and the device. Same thing. On and off connection every few seconds. Version 1.2.22 (is that firmware ?)

Edited by OldFartRides
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Inmotion is the only wheel manufacturer that has the annoying habit of making quite significant modifications to the communication protocol with each subsequent firmware update.

Apologies for OT, but I'm currently looking into developing some simple dashboard using some of the M5 devices (like M5PAPER, CORE-INK, CORE2 and M5STICK C plus) for V8 and V12 initially, possibly also P1 and V3, but I'm struggling to get hold of any references for Inmotion protocol. Is there any place you could direct me to? Thanks in advance. Any useful results of the project will be shared here.

45 minutes ago, HEC said:

Apologies for OT, but I'm currently looking into developing some simple dashboard using some of the M5 devices (like M5PAPER, CORE-INK, CORE2 and M5STICK C plus) for V8 and V12 initially, possibly also P1 and V3, but I'm struggling to get hold of any references for Inmotion protocol. Is there any place you could direct me to? Thanks in advance. Any useful results of the project will be shared here.

https://github.com/Wheellog/Wheellog.Android

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

Ok, just turned on the v11 and the device. Same thing. On and off connection every few seconds. Version 1.2.22 (is that firmware ?)

Please send me an issue report from the app menu, I'll take a look into the debug logs. Also, can you verify if the EUC World works on another Android device? This way we could know if the problem is wheel related or mobile device related.

Per your email:

1. Current software is up to date.  
2. Airplane  mode is off.

3. Battery optimization : Set to “high performance” - only choice other than optimized, medium power saving, and max power saving.

4.  Tried the InMotion app. It doesn’t do any better. Loses connection/ fails to connect. 

The blue indicator on the wheel goes off when connection is lost.

With euc world, it seems to stay connected when wheel is rolling ? Maybe ? I will take it out today and monitor while riding.

( distracted riding !)

Thnx.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, OldFartRides said:

Some wheels bluetooth boards seem weaker than others.  I need to ride one wheel with the phone actually velcroed to the top of the wheel while other wheels I can keep phone in back pocket.  Try moving phone closer to top of wheel.  You can test this by connecting to wheel while its charging and on the stand.  Walk away and see how far you can go.  The weak wheel of mine loses connection after moving phone 2 feet away from wheel. On my other wheels I can sit in another room and track charging.

• Like 2

@OldFartRides This sounds like you have some wires routed too close to or running directly over your bluetooth antenna... next time you have it opened up I'd check and reroute to provide clearance. Sometimes just moving a wire a half an inch works, RF is a fickle and unforgiving beast.

Meantime, @Paradox's advice is the best, especially given that you can't keep any app connected to your phone. The signal to/from the wheel is too weak!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the KS 18XL, the BT connection is intermittent with an app like EUC world.

It can connect, disconnect, reconnect repeatedly.

No longer use an app whilst riding anymore.

The %battery used and the kilometers covered at end of ride, can extrapolate to a range of 300km sometimes.

Might run it down to zero one time and see if it can actually be achieved.

The BT connection to the speakers to play music works fine though.

Not sure why.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paul A said:

With the KS 18XL, the BT connection is intermittent

This is my weak wheel.  Since mounting phone on top of 18xl I have never lost bluetooth connection to wheel.  EucWorld tracks tours without interruption.

• Thanks 1

BTW, I have a Galaxy S6 attached with velcro.  It's small enough to attach without hitting handle or legs while riding. 

uDm8mDj.jpg

• Like 1

Sticking a coin with Blu Tac onto the KingSong oval logo on top of the wheel is useful.

Use it to cover the light sensor at the rear to manually turn on the lights.

Sometimes it has to get very dark before the automatic sensor turns on the lights

• Like 1