KS "knocking" noise?

Yashaya Yasharahla

2 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Thanks a lot!

I will post here again if the previous didn't go through:

By the way, I had a nasty accident yesterday, but luckily, I was unharmed. I was going down a hill that I guess was more than the unit could take. I wasn't speeding at all, I just believe the level of declination was too steep. I jumped off the unit before I fell off, but the unit swirled and spun down the hill and fell on one of its side on the pedal really hard and came to a stop. Now, I hear some play in the pedal...like, you can slightly move it back and forth with your hands if you tug it hard enough. You can hear the clicking noise of the pedal bouncing after ever so bump and it's so annoying now. I brought the unit home to tighten the screws on the pedal, but they were already screwed in tightly. Any suggestions? 

8 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

By the way, I had a nasty accident yesterday, but luckily, I was unharmed. I was going down a hill that I guess was more than the unit could take. I wasn't speeding at all, I just believe the level of declination was too steep. I jumped off the unit before I fell off, but the unit swirled and spun down the hill and fell on one of its side on the pedal really hard and came to a stop. Now, I hear some play in the pedal...like, you can slightly move it back and forth with your hands if you tug it hard enough. You can hear the clicking noise of the pedal bouncing after ever so bump and it's so annoying now. I brought the unit home to tighten the screws on the pedal, but they were already screwed in tightly. Any suggestions? 

I don't know if the pedals of the KS has some plastic washer inserts like the Ninebot One which might have been removed during the impact? Does it have a grub screw in the bottom middle part? Maybe that came loose.

Just now, SlowMo said:

I don't know if the pedals of the KS has some plastic washer inserts like the Ninebot One which might have been removed during the impact? Does it have a grub screw in the bottom middle part? Maybe that came loose.

Yes, there are grub screws at the bottom middle part. 

It's hard to imagine that they've come loose because they were even hard to tighten. 

Just now, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Yes, there are grub screws at the bottom middle part. 

It's hard to imagine that they've come loose because they were even hard to tighten. 

That middle grub screw is the one holding the pedal rods snugly in place.

12 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Could be that the pedal mount got loose where its mounted to the hub - here you have some pictures and a video how it looks with a 9bot and for many generic wheels:

Another way of this mount is used by Kingsong models - there are also somewhere in this forum pics from it...

Way off topic but to answer question above.

BUT,

At least my KS14c pedal mount system does NOT have the center grub screw.

And worth to note that only one side needs to loosen of the axle grub screws because then the pressure is relieved on the other and then it unscrews easy!

So try to unscrew both sides to find the loosest one.

More info here,

@yashaya,

I would suggest finding your pedal play and fixing it somehow as it will only get worse as alu is fairly soft.

ukj

firewheelpedalaxel.jpg

4 hours ago, SlowMo said:

That middle grub screw is the one holding the pedal rods snugly in place.

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

Way off topic but to answer question above.

BUT,

At least my KS14c pedal mount system does NOT have the center grub screw.

And worth to note that only one side needs to loosen of the axle grub screws because then the pressure is relieved on the other and then it unscrews easy!

So try to unscrew both sides to find the loosest one.

More info here,

@yashaya,

I would suggest finding your pedal play and fixing it somehow as it will only get worse as alu is fairly soft.

ukj

firewheelpedalaxel.jpg

The top 3 aluminum pieces is what I have, however, that bottom white piece and black piece? I don't have them. 

And, the update is: I put both pedals back on and now the clicking sound is louder. I checked to see if there was any significant bending in the long aluminum rods-- I didn't see it. This is very frustrating. It doesn't affect the riding performance, but the clicking sound is now louder than before and it's louder than the high humming noise the unit makes while turned on :(:( :((

23 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

The top 3 aluminum pieces is what I have, however, that bottom white piece and black piece? I don't have them. 

And, the update is: I put both pedals back on and now the clicking sound is louder. I checked to see if there was any significant bending in the long aluminum rods-- I didn't see it. This is very frustrating. It doesn't affect the riding performance, but the clicking sound is now louder than before and it's louder than the high humming noise the unit makes while turned on :(:( :((

Are you sure the sound is coming from the pedals and not near the hub area?

2 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I'm sure it's the pedals. I ran the motor without my weight and didn't hear anything. I can hear the play when I move the pedals with my hands and it's the same clicking sound. 

Just now, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

I'm sure it's the pedals. I ran the motor without my weight and didn't hear anything. I can hear the play when I move the pedals with my hands and it's the same clicking sound. 

And, it's probably my weight now. The max weight for the unit is 120kg and I'm pushing 110kg now. Throw in the off curb jumps I've done while carrying my guitar, iPad, charger and an external battery (340Wh), I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum rods have bent negligibly :(

26 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

And, it's probably my weight now. The max weight for the unit is 120kg and I'm pushing 110kg now. Throw in the off curb jumps I've done while carrying my guitar, iPad, charger and an external battery (340Wh), I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum rods have bent negligibly :(

I think you can order some replacement rods. I believe they are 8mm thick.

3 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

I think the pedal rod/nuts/friction screw picture's from a Firewheel.

On 2/11/2016 at 0:40 AM, SlowMo said:

So I did some further troubleshooting on my wheel and here is my update.

I finally was able to remove the play in the wheel by adding some aluminum foil pieces inside the slot where the grub screws go. No more 1mm play in the pedals...for now^^ However, that did not remove the "knocking" sound in the wheel. I noticed a few things:

1) If I apply my body weight to one pedal, the Kingsong's body bends into the tire and I have rubbed it a few times unintentionally. 

2) If I apply my body weight, not all of it I guess, by sitting on the unit with my feet on the ground and move back and forth, I don't hear the "knocking" sound.

3) If I do as mentioned in number 2 but with my feet on the pedals, I can hear the "knocking" noise. 

I will post the videos in this link. The video with my riding at night is recorded for the purposes of recognizing the "knocking" sound while riding it normally (standing). The video with my riding inside my messy place is to see if I could replicate the "knocking" noise while sitting. 

The "knocking" sound begins at 1:04, and repeats at 1:07 twice almost, then again 1:13, 1:16, 1:20, and finally at 1:21.

@esaj feel free to move this conversation to the appropriate category^^ 

3 minutes ago, Kells said:

Is the valve stem hitting?

That's what it sounds like to me.  After listening to the sitting down video, not sure anymore.  Could be it's catching and snapping slowly.  Maybe a cracked frame under the plastic?

Just now, Kells said:

Is the valve stem hitting?  I can't tell from the videos, but this may be a possibility

I actually put a rubber band around the stem to prevent it from hitting the black motor's exterior. So, no, I don't think that's the case. I did examine that first before I went to work on the pedals. 

13 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

That's what it sounds like to me.  After listening to the sitting down video, not sure anymore.  Could be it's catching and snapping slowly.  Maybe a cracked frame under the plastic?

Have you ever heard this kind of sound before on the unicycle? It's 3:37 am here and I have been examining this thing all night :( It doesn't affect my riding performance, it's just that the sound is so annoying and it didn't sound like this in the beginning. 

I had a valve stem sound similar till I twisted it a bit.  Other possibilities would be inside the motor?  Magnets, etc...  Probably not real likely though.  What about a cracked bearing?  Cracked Motor Mount?  An accident could potentially cause all sorts of things to go wrong, just depends on what took the brunt of the hit.

I agree, this could be moved to it's own thread.

I'm still guessing it's the valve stem... can you confirm if the sound is present relative to the tires location?  For example, put a chalk mark on the tire, and see if the sound happens when the chalk mark is at the same point.  This will confirm or eliminate any defects in the rim, tire, or valve stem.

6 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I took a flashlight and looked inside the unit and didn't see any cracks. Thanks for pointing that out^^

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Maybe copy your other post from the other thread so those just getting here know what it's about. 

I didn't know how to do this but esaj took care of everything and moved the posts accordingly. I am not exactly tech savvy or good with these kinds of things^^

4 hours ago, Kells said:

I'm still guessing it's the valve stem... can you confirm if the sound is present relative to the tires location?  For example, put a chalk mark on the tire, and see if the sound happens when the chalk mark is at the same point.  This will confirm or eliminate any defects in the rim, tire, or valve stem.

I actually tried to record the wheel where the valve stem is at its closest to the floor to see if it was hitting something. It's so hard to tell. I will try the chalk next as you described. Thanks~

2nd Update:

I held the wheel upside down by the pedals and swung it forward and backward, and I heard something lose INSIDE the body. There is our culprit! I will take off the soft pads to see what's moving inside the body RIGHT NOW. I don't hear it from the motor thankfully...or not yet at least. Here is a video of what I've found this morning:

Archived