Forum personal storage full / what to do?

31 minutes ago, litewave said:

I am supposedly out of disk space and can no longer upload any images of a reasonable size to my post. I am also unable to go back to old posts and edit them to remove old images. How do I resolve this?

Thanks

@meepmeepmayer etc - any suggestions?

I pinged @RagingGrandpa about this and have been a long-time site member. I've uploaded a lot of jpegs over the past 5 years, but nothing egregious. Theyjust add up over time, and I can't remove any of the old(er) ones. Maybe site admin could increase storage space, or provision accounts with an annual *not* cumulative storage space limit?

We mods can't even see your attachments. We get only 100MB, and regular users have even less. That's not many images. This attachment functionality seems to be quite limited (you can't even manage your own stuff). I'm not sure if and how much storage space costs at the forum provider.

But yes it's easy and quick to use and very convenient as it is. Copy-paste from clipboard is great.

We can ask the admin, maybe things have changed and more space for everyone is possible. But I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "please use an external host". It's not that bad once you find a decent, non-annoying image host. And no more space constraints!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

google photos

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is it easy to get a direct link for copy+paste?

From the web interface, when viewing the shared album, right-click an image and copy the image URL. It'll be a really long URL but it works.

From the mobile app, I don't think it's possible :/  Try a mobile browser instead.

Edited by RagingGrandpa

7 hours ago, litewave said:

I pinged @RagingGrandpa about this and have been a long-time site member. I've uploaded a lot of jpegs over the past 5 years, but nothing egregious. Theyjust add up over time, and I can't remove any of the old(er) ones. Maybe site admin could increase storage space, or provision accounts with an annual *not* cumulative storage space limit?

The admin could increase storage space but most likely would have to pay for this.

Imho he is already very generous by paying the forum hoster and providing to all of us  this infrastructure for free abd without any advertisments.

So please use (free) external hosters and embed the links.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots of back and forth hindsight here, but no solutions for my current issue.

I can't edit my previous posts and delete old images.

I think this should/could be enabled for the author (me) to do so selectively.

Imho, many are still useful and may be of benefit to the community.

Alternatively, maybe site admin could consider/enable one-time or small recurring donations to defray personal costs for the site.

I'm certain there would be many contributors.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, litewave said:

Could you show an example?

Posts such as this one seem to let you 'Edit' and delete attachments... tedious but possible
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/10021-euc-footwear/?do=findComment&comment=310248

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Removing a post won't remove the attachment, these are independent of each other.

yep... you have to do the three dots in the upper right corner of the post, then scroll down to where the media is. There's an X to delete the media. Also, if you click your handle in the very top upper right of the webpage window there's a "My Attachments" that lists all of them with their size. Click the post and it'll take you to the post where you should be able to edit and delete.

Very tedious yes. People on the Invision community forum have asked for 'how to do this' and the answer comes back: one at a time, post per post.

Edited by Tawpie

28 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

yep... you have to do the three dots in the upper right corner of the post, then scroll down to where the media is. There's an X to delete the media. Also, if you click your handle in the very top upper right of the webpage window there's a "My Attachments" that lists all of them with their size. Click the post and it'll take you to the post where you should be able to edit and delete.

Very tedious yes. People on the Invision community forum have asked for 'how to do this' and the answer comes back: one at a time, post per post.

Uhggh, no. Been there, tried that. Any  posts made over 5 years ago can't be edited. My first posts with attachments started 5 1/2 years ago in August 2016. 

Starting with UserName (upper left corner of the dsite page)>Content>My Attachments, then going to the last page and selecting the first four posts with images I ever posted, the only options under the ellipses are: "Report" and "Share". 

Bag o' Hurt: 41.02MB attachment limit ???:crying:

Assuming 10,000 users with (my) max attachment limit at 41MB, the approximate total is less than 1TB.

Not sure what online host service admin uses, but that doesn't cost much nowadays.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 1.26.44 PM.png

Edited by litewave

krud—I'm relatively new so haven't run into that, my apologies for thinking it had to be so simple when it's just not.

Otherwise, you seem stuck with using a hosting service from here out. Or you might have to become "aka-lightwave" (new account, but that's awful).

Several have offered to help fund our host's generous support for this forum, maybe we can re-up that offer? Although the forum might be self hosted, and that makes adding storage space less of a walk in the park.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, litewave said:

Lots of back and forth hindsight here, but no solutions for my current issue.

I think this should/could be enabled for the author (me) to do so selectively.

Imho, many are still useful and may be of benefit to the community.

Alternatively, maybe site admin could consider/enable one-time or small recurring donations to defray personal costs for the site.

I'm certain there would be many contributors.

In short it is part of the read this area when people sign up on the forum. 

It might seem easy to upload then post photos here on the forum. But it will bite you behind if you choose to things this way. 

The forum have a design that allow you to post links to other photo sites and embed this on your posts. This keep storage space needed down and less data traffic on the forum. 

If you go though your posts you can see which pictures that are the biggest in your uploaded area. (you see the in your profile area or by attaching a post from already uploaded pics). 

You can download the picture and upload it to a picture sharing site and then link the URL to the post that you used the picture for. 

It is a tedious process. It will make you remember how not to do things in the future. 

This is part of having a free for all forum. This choice was made long time back. Other places might work differently but here we are not flooded by adds or cost a subscribtion. It has helped the forum to grow to its current state due to this I believe. 

I have a few pictures uploaded but these days I use Flickr. I might have to use something else in future or subscribe extra space. But for now it works for me. I am sure it will work for most others too. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Actually the forum is automatically creating compressed images. A 2.6MB image I once uploaded a long time ago looks fine in its 34kB forum version (before enlarging).

I attempted to delete the original and reupload the small one but I hit a snag. Removing the old pic from the post doesn't delete the attachment in the forum. Could you add an option perhaps?

To be even smarter you could offer an option to replace it with your compressed version in a simple one-click solution.

26 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Actually the forum is automatically creating compressed images. A 2.6MB image I once uploaded a long time ago looks fine in its 34kB forum version (before enlarging).

I attempted to delete the original and reupload the small one but I hit a snag. Removing the old pic from the post doesn't delete the attachment in the forum. Could you add an option perhaps?

To be even smarter you could offer an option to replace it with your compressed version in a simple one-click solution.

The forums personal storage for uploaded photos is an unsupported feature of this forum.

Do not expect any changes, improvements or support.

For photos and videos please use external storage 

• 2 months later...

It seems mad to not give users control of this when the forum software is designed for this possibility.

I am a mod over at Core4d.com, and there, people manage their attachments all the time, because we have simply enabled admin options to put tick boxes next to items in my attachments, and floating trash can icon so people can remove any amount of them in seconds.

Problem solved; nobody ever asks again ! Look, we can even tick the column header to tick everything in the page ! I will use my last 200k of space to post this image in the hope we can do something similar here.

image.thumb.png.9805c2f1456b124c403d66970a7e2b75.png

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

I will use my last 200k of space to post this image.

Knowing you can't get those 200k back, I feel compelled to say " thank you for your sacrifice". :)

On a more serious note. The forum is free and the moderators are very kind keeping its lights on and generous with their time. How can we demand anything? Attachments or not, it's still a fantastic place. Thanks either way. Should it be fixed however, it would be the cherry on top. :)

• Like 1

I thought... what if you are still able to edit the original post and delete the attachment? Turns out you can. Some posts can't be edited, but those that you are able to edit you can delete the attachment! YourName>My Attachments gives you a list of all your attachments. I clicked the post on the far right, was taken to the post where I used 3 dots to edit it. Scroll down to the bottom of the text entry window and you can delete the attachment!

Oh I'm certainly not demanding it, and am very grateful this place is here in whatever form; rather, I am merely expressing the hope that it will be considered, and pointing out that the Admin work involved in enabling it is minimal :) This forum IS best in class on the subject, whether by luck or design, and it is notably incongruous for a site in such a position to not have ANY attachment management in 2022, when everything else about the forum works so intuitively and well !

I have quite a few attachments I'd like to compress. I could restore my usage back to like 20% this way. Unfortunately I couldn't gain any space back to upload the compressed version. It seemed like once used, it's permanent. 

This was a few months ago. I don't know today's circumstances.

8 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I have quite a few attachments I'd like to compress. I could restore my usage back to like 20% this way. Unfortunately I couldn't gain any space back to upload the compressed version. It seemed like once used, it's permanent. 

This was a few months ago. I don't know today's circumstances.

Try deleting the attachment first, then uploading a compressed version (or better still, a hosted version). I got space back by deleting attachments.