S20 Range Test, I am kind shocked of the Range!!!

FrenchUsa

I watch a video made in UK, jump at 41min of the video, and he claim getting kickback at 29 miles with 26% battery. I am getting 26 miles on my S18 with 35% battery left.

Is it a firmware issues or those number are correct for S20?

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 11.00.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 11.01.51 AM.png

Edited by FrenchUsa
  • Like 1

• FrenchUsa changed the title to S20 Range Test, I am kind shocked of the Range!!!

I was just about to post this, that result cant be true. Maybe the battery was very imbalanced at the beginning or something. At 22-23km/h I get more range than that out of my V10F, with a battery that is not even half as big as that of the S20, and that is with a 130kg rider!!!

I would epxect to get at least 60 miles of range out of the S20 at that speed! Where is all the energy, more than 2200Wh, going?!?!

It is rather odd Speedyfeet is mixing up imperial, metric and english units of measurements for this range test. The stated KS official 200 km range is so laughable that half that, 100 km, should be a realistic expected range for a 70kg rider going 20km/h.

The more reviews coming out, the less enthusiastic I’m about this wheel. This is the following the similar hype trajectory of the S18.

Begode Master is the wheel I’m leaning towards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrenchUsa said:

I watch a video made in UK, jump at 41min of the video, and he claim getting kickback at 29 miles with 26% battery. I am getting 26 miles on my S18 with 35% battery left.

Depends on the average riding speed. If he's showing imperial MPH avg. riding speed of 18.6, that's probably right. The faster you go, the faster it burns.

My Best S18 avg. riding speed stats are: 29.4 km/h (18.27 mph)
Which according to EUC World is:

• 82 % faster than other riders average
  • 83 % faster than other riders average on King Song KS-S18
  • 65 % faster than other riders average in United States

I burned 40% of battery in 16 km (~10 miles) which means my max mileage would have been around ~25 miles at that speed - down to 0% battery.

...and he's still got 26% left after +29 miles. Sounds right to me... (and accounting for colder temps as Paul noted.. plus we also don't know wind resistance factors).

Edited by level9
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ian always gets low range. I think he is heavier than he looks, a fast rider, and the weather/cold/English bleakness;) does the rest.

50km at 50kph is a realistic though. The S20 has "only" 2220Wh, it's not a huge battery. It is credible that he rode it down at high speeds like this.

Comparison: @Hunka Hunka Burning Lovereported getting 20km when riding his Tesla (1000Wh) fast (50kph). So you do the math for 2220Wh.

Wait for a Marty range test for better numbers (Marty is a slower rider and the California weather is warmer) that might be closer to what you typically get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mango said:

100 km should be a realistic expected range for a 70kg rider going 20km/h.

I get 52 real kms out of the 960 Wh battery of my V10F at 22km/h and with my 130kg on the pedals, in warm weather, in slightly hilly terrain and with a couple percent of dirt roads strewn in. And Inmotion doesnt discharge the cells as deeply as Kingsong. I would expect to get at least 110-115 real life kilometers of range out of the S20, even with my weight.

Edited by mhpr262

It's worth noting this wheel isn't meant to be a long range cruiser wheel in any case. It would be very heavy if it was. Such a wheel (with suspension) doesn't yet exist.

Just look at the Begode Hero. -400Wh less battery, tiny suspension and still weighs +3 lbs more.

Kingsong probably wasn't sure if there would be a market for a +90-100 lb wheel, so they're playing it safe as they do. Maybe we'll get a long range cruiser version later..

• Upvote 2

I'm afraid we start to see the drawback of the 126v. I could recently try a S20 (prototype in display in Brussels) and yes it's extremely reactive. But range might be the price. I won't order before we get a review of production version. I stick with my V11 for now, good suspension + very good autonomy.

22 hours ago, Roue Libre said:

I'm afraid we start to see the drawback of the 126v. I could recently try a S20 (prototype in display in Brussels) and yes it's extremely reactive. But range might be the price. I won't order before we get a review of production version. I stick with my V11 for now, good suspension + very good autonomy.

I will be the guinea pig for you guys, i am keeping my order going.

Speedyfeet's updated review. Range test ~26 miles. At the end of the video he admits to riding the wheel hard with the first 15 miles at 55 km/h (~31 mph) avg speed. So.. that makes perfect sense. If I rode my S18 at the 31mph max and avg speed I'd probably get between 10-15 miles out of it. The faster you go.. the faster it burns. True of any wheel..

According to EUC World, avg. speeds for most people are closer to 10-15 mph. So, most people (while continuing to ride at normal, low speeds) will likely see a 60+ mile range.

• Like 2

Jimmy Chang's Range Test with the eScooter Guy 220 ish lbs aiming for 30 mph (got 19 mph avg) did 50 ish miles.

Can't remember the video, I think it was RevRides or eRides did a range test with a 220 ish lbs rider aiming for 25 mph, got 56 ish miles.

Hopefully, there will be more reviews on S20 range

• Like 1