EUC rider killed on freeway in Hawaii

shellac

According to Captain James Slayter from HPD traffic division, the man shouldn’t have been riding an EUC on the freeway.

“That is completely illegal,” he said. “Those are not safe for freeway use or any major thoroughfare. The sad part is they do travel very fast so some people feel like maybe that would get along fast enough up there, but it’s just, it’s very dangerous, you’re not protected.”

Very sad news.

Looks to be a Sherman in the picture.

In Hawaii, petrol scooter rentals to tourists, with no helmets provided, maximum speed of only around 35mph, and ridden on highways.

H1 is the highway from Honolulu to Pearl Harbor, very popular tourist route, no bike lane, no shoulder.

Highlights the videos of NYC riders on highways.

3 hours ago, shellac said:

This sucks. I'm not sure why they brought up the mention of drinking and driving. I guess sometimes you gotta push an agenda when you can.  I send my sympathies to the family. You never know when you're gna go...

• Like 1

Some people argue that the risks of riding high powered EUCs are just like those of riding high powered motorcycles ... and in a way they are, people die all the time on superbikes, but with the EUCs there are some unique risks and considerations that people often overlook, and this accident has a number of them in it. We can and should take it as a learning experience. RIP.

• Like 3

NYC

June 25, 2020

No bike lane, no road shoulder, concrete wall on side with high metal fence, no escape route, no refuge area, debris as usual at side of roads, highway, cars/trucks moving at highway speeds, a Veteran Sherman with a known top speed of 45mph, doing the unexpected.....

Is learning from experience really needed?

Or is it possible to forsee what the possibilities are......

Taking the Veteran Sherman on the Highway for some Speed Runs

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Could someone say what happened? The link provided just says that their European users are important to the site but then shows a blank page.

A rider fell/got ejected on a main highway near an airport(Hawaii USA  *H1W). A lady ran over something she thought was a red box or the likes. ONce she stopped she realized it was an euc rider(no mention of gear worn or not). It was reported that he had likely been hit multiple times, she was simply the one who stopped. He died of his injuries at the local hospital, no name was given. THe officers clearly state that the euc was not legal to be on the highway and urges people to not drink and drive. No drugs or alcohol was suspected to be involved.

Fogive me for any inaccuracies.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

NYC

June 25, 2020

No bike lane, no road shoulder, concrete wall on side with high metal fence, no escape route, no refuge area, debris as usual at side of roads, highway, cars/trucks moving at highway speeds, a Veteran Sherman with a known top speed of 45mph, doing the unexpected.....

Is learning from experience really needed?

Or is it possible to forsee what the possibilities are......

All that plus a high possibility of being knocked out or otherwise disabled on impact, plus the accident happened in the dark where a person can be very hard to see and there is no obvious sign of a crashed vehicle with an EUC. If people can easily miss a crashed car at night, with better lighting and more escape routes, they arent likely to see you in time at all, and even if they do ... you are still getting hit over half of the time.

• Like 1

Extremely sad event.

On a busy road, it can be very difficult to hear the Sherman beeps which will be masked by not only wind noise but also traffic noise.
On a highway, a rider might try to match the traffic speed or at least go as fast as possible since straight is very boring.

Combining both makes the experience problematic due to the higher risk of over-lean due to not hearing the beeps, but to be honest riding close to cars is always dangerous since any crash might throw us in the middle of the road, at the mercy of the next car behind.

The only thing I can think that could help here is convincing Leaperkim to add beeper status in the bluetooth data like Begode has, as used by my EUC Alarm app, which at least would prevent the overlean situation due to the inability to hear the beeps.

Multi wreck car video.

Seems strange that the design of the concrete barriers at the side of the highway are so high that a person is not able to climb over to safety.

Designed to prevent people from climbing onto the highway?

Presumably it has happened many times before and will again in the future.

Is there actually any planning/prevention/procedures/actions when it occurs, besides calling 911?

Doesn't appear to be any systems set up to immediately shut down the highway remotely, not even a rudimentary warning system.

Lighting up the crash with the torch didn't seem to have much effect to warn drivers with enough time.

Doubtful even if strobing warning lights aimed at oncoming traffic would be effective.

Driver seemed totally oblivious, wandering around his car, getting back in......just mind boggling...

Damage to Sherman front end roll bars and light, appears to be indicative of a cut out.

Doesn't appear to be any impact damage to rear from a car colliding with it.

Sunset time approximately 6pm.

Run over by driver exiting via the off ramp.

Why is an EUC rider on the highway at 10pm, in the dark, for at least one section between on and off ramps?

9 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Seems strange that the design of the concrete barriers at the side of the highway are so high that a person is not able to climb over to safety.

Designed to prevent people from climbing onto the highway?

They're designed to maximize the odds of survival when you hit them- without flipping cars over among other goals, which would be more likely if they were lower. They were designed with cars in mind, not pedestrians or EUC's though...

Edited by tudordewolf

Ok, high barriers reason.

Perhaps need overlap openings, facing in direction of traffic flow, at intervals like in F1 racetracks, to provide escape route for people in situations like this.

The person with the video camera seemed to be totally exposed, no protection at all.

Perhaps individually we should try to mark down (use thumbs down) any videos we see where riders are riding on fast roads like these? That might discourage people from posting such videos which might in turn discourage copycat riders from trying to do the same and that might save lives in the longer term.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Just absolutely tragic. 

RIP Joel Diort.  :cry2::cry2::cry2:

Very sad. The EUC rider is 100% to blame. I have a horrible feeling he was recording this before he died. 
I was on a NYC ride when someone decided to show off and ride on a car only freeway. He broke some ribs. 
I assume the EUC was borrowed or rented. 
I posted elsewhere whether renting EUCs was feasible. This is no longer true. 
I love to ride, but I know my limits and stay off busy streets. 
Where is Joel from?

31 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Can we please respect Joel and stop anti NYC propaganda usual agenda or assuming incorrect things about him? A bit of decency please. He was a nice human being and a friend.

It's hard to respect someone that rides an EUC on a Freeway illegally and gets the community this kind of negative attention globally. 

I am wondering if starting a GoFundMe for his family is appropriate? Did he have kids?

Edited by Tryptych

16 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Tryptych @GothamMike

Personally may I ask for a little more discretion and compassion here, and no endless assumption and speculation?

There was no assumption or speculation in my post. Take it down a notch with the offensive/defensive posts, this really isn't about NYC, this time.

As for discretion - no, this should be talked about and the details should be known. It affects us all.

Sorry about your friend - did he have kids? Would a GoFundMe be appropriate/helpful?

Edited by Tryptych
  • Like 2

This article mentions no helmet.

All in all a tragic event. Indeed it could be that this was simply a conservative rider who got lost and ended up in the wrong place. My condolences to everyone who knew him and was close to him. 

I see he was working on a custom rim for the Sherman, so this is a loss for the wider community as well. 

30 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Sorry about your friend - did he have kids? Would a GoFundMe be appropriate/helpful?

Thank you. 

And no, single and no kids, and any kind of fund / memorial is all being figured out right now (many in the NYC community have asked)

Joel’s family was just made aware, as this news is barely a day old, and we want to respect his family at this time and whatever they decide on.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1