New rider with trouble moving forwards

CrumbsAndYums

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I simply don't understand why the insistence on using crutches? FInd a nice soft flat yard, grow a pair and just keep trying. IN a soft yard, you dont even need to wear gear. It aint like GRASS is gna shatter an elbow. Gear aint gna keep you from twisting an ankle. My first 'crash' was in a yard. I decided to jump off and realized you cant run as fast as you think. I hit the ground and rolled. It was grass tho, so I learned a lesson, stained a tee shirt and was no more than a little sore. The amount of time spent thinking about it and finding tools, is more than the time it would take to free mount. Seriously guys and gals. Im not a whizz at learning. IT took me 3-5 15minute days in soft grass, then onto a deserted street. I still suck, but getting moving, shouldnt be THAT big a deal. WHen we learned to walk, we pretty much had to let go and go for it, didnt we?  What I lack in skill, I made up for in 'not give a sh*t'. Dont dip your toes in, jump in the pool. This aint an activity for the timid.

8 minutes ago, Funky said:

Simply start riding..

No hand holding, no wall, no carts, no nothing. It's easy using those as leverage.. Simply go on grass/sand (or somewhere if you fall it will be softer), and start riding ;) 

That's what i did, no gear or whatsoever. (Had my first face plant, but at low speed simply "Belly flopped")

Heck at home it was easy using wall.. The problem started when you released the hand. :w00t2:

If you always use a leverage. You generally aren't learning at all? Same thing as standing, you just stand on wheel, no balancing at all. Easy peasy lemon cheesy.

Getting on/off wheel you could use some leverage, but in long run, it will take more time learning that way.

Lol same time post, same mind. Brother is that you?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

If you're too fragile to risk a slow speed tumble on soft grass, you may want to rethink the entire 20mph on one wheel thing.:popcorn: Fwiw, riding in grass IS tough to roll on but much easier to fall on. I only suggest yards until a person can step up and roll 5'. Its on to harder objects then.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Some people want to use a shopping cart, training wheels, strap, handrails, a wall, or what ever.

They find it beneficial and helpful.

Suggestions made by members are trying to assist and encourage new beginner riders.

• Like 3

CrumbsAndYum,

While your memory is still fresh, could you help me with a couple of questions.

1. As you hop on the wheel with your back leg, do you grip the wheel tightly with both legs?

2. The wheel can never stay perfectly balanced vertically. It has the tendency to tilt to one side or the other as you ride it at any speed.  If it tilts to the right, do you use your right leg calf muscle to push the wheel back to the upright position?  Vice versa for the left tilt.  So, in essence, a) do you constantly use alternate legs to correct the wheel to the upright position?  Or, b) do you twist and ride the wheel in the direction of the tilt, in order to right the wheel?

Others, please feel free to chime in.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, Julian Lo said:
  1. As you hop on the wheel with your back leg, do you grip the wheel tightly with both legs?

2.  balance

1.When hopping on, the back leg is not touching the EUC, so the rider needs to tilt and|or apply pressure with inside of upper calf muscle towards the back leg side to keep the EUC from falling away from the back leg when hopping on. It may seem like a lot of pressure, and you may show some bruising due to the pressure. Learning to ride using support to mount and launch before learning to free mount reduces how much time you'll spend learning to free mount. Gripping the wheel with both legs can't occur until after you hop on.  Most beginners will grip the wheel with the insides of both upper calf muscles, to keep the wheel more stable.

2. Balance - there are two basic methods and a speed where an EUC becomes mostly self-stable, as I posted on the first page of this thread. Yaw steering - the EUC is literally steered into the desired direction by twisting it, and tilt steering, tilting the EUC so that due to camber effect, it steers you instead of you steering the EUC. You can also use a combination of both tilt and yaw steering, mostly for quick tight turns at slow speeds.

Similar to a bicycle, at sufficient speed, an EUC becomes stable due to tilt steering response. Assuming the rider doesn't make any relative foot movements, the EUC tilts as much as the rider leans sideways due to a small imbalance, causing the EUC to steer enough to correct for small imbalances. My V8F became stable at around 6 to 8 mph, but I needed to learn how to balance at lower speed, where I used arm flailing to yaw steer. I posted about my experience on the first page of this thread.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/26080-new-rider-with-trouble-moving-forwards/?do=findComment&comment=397962

Following Kuji Roll's and Wrong Way's advice in their how to ride EUC videos, I learned to ride using support to mount and launch first (and how to stop and step off), before I tried to free mount. When I did my first attempts at free mount, since I already knew how to ride, I just did 1 or 2 steps and hopped on, my only time on grass (between soccer fields). Note that Wrong Way's (Adam) girlfriend Monkat (Kate) had ridden using Wrong Way (a "Pole" - they live in Poland), for support to mount and launch and had ridden for about 60 to 80 km before trying to free mount as seen in Wrong Way's how to ride video. Despite her being leery of it ("... I"ve got a bad feeling ..."), she got it on her second try (on a Veteran Sherman). Learning to ride before free mounting may not be a faster way to learn, but it is less tiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-y5RiecMc&t=634s

Although Wrong Way and others mention using toe | heel pressure to accelerate | brake, I only focus on leaning forwards | backwards, without paying attention to toe | heel pressure. The process of leaning forwards | backwards will apply the pressure needed on the pedals without the rider having to think about pressure on the pedals. Technically in order to lean forwards on the ground or on an EUC, you initially press with the heels, which causes the EUC to brake a bit, shifting the contact patch behind the center of mass, and leaning you forwards. Once leaned forwards, you put pressure on the toes to limit or reduce the forwards lean, in the same manner as you would do on the ground to limit or reduce a forwards lean, so again, you can just focus on leaning more forwards or less forwards rather than thinking about pedal pressure. The same principle applies to braking, to lean backwards, you first press with toes, then press with heels to limit or reduce backwards lean.

I added more information and two more links in another post on page 2 of this thread:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/26080-new-rider-with-trouble-moving-forwards/?do=findComment&comment=399275

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 2

Fantastic information from rcgldr, Paul A, Tawpie, ShanesPlanet, and Crumbs.  Thank you.  That really clarifies some of my misconceptions.

Angular momentum also reminds me of the spinning plates on sticks.  

It seems inconceivable that one can control a spinning wheel with just two legs (and the speed of course).  That makes me think that beginners are doomed to fail because they always start with a slow speed.   A higher speed means one will hit the ground harder if one falls.   My speed behind a rollator was measured at about 2.2 mph (not sure about the accuracy of the Inmotion App).  That will not cut it, will it?

So, what is the minimum speed that allows one to roll with a manageable balance? Can you estimate the speed at which Kuji Rolls’ girlfriend was starting?

• Like 2

I havent kept up with Kuji, so I cant comment on that.

Just below as fast as you can run/joggin speed. 8-10mph(carefull, youll keep going faster and not realize it). It varies on rider height and wheel diameter of course. The slower you go, the more difficult it is at first. Think in terms of bicycles. After learning in grass JUST long enough to barely mount it. I was off to the street. Why? Because a smooth hard surface will get you up to 8-10mph easily and thats where I had planned on riding in the end. Going fast enough  is more a test of will than skill at one point. You just gotta go for it and be ready. Stretch your legs and get those feet ready. Stay below a speed that is too fast to run it out. Warning, you may think you can run faster than you can. There's no shame in jumping off a wheel at slow speed and saving yourself. A scratched wheel is superior to a mint wheel for beginners(RollNZ ftw). If you cant remember how fast you can run, perhaps stretch and do that first. Hell, if nothing else, itll be good for you. Fwiw, I LOVE riding my mten around at 5-7mph. Hot summer day, birds chirping, cigarette burning, wheel a spinnin'. These are things storybooks are made of.:eff02be2d7:

MY minimum speed for control is about <1mph nowadays. I can literally 'walk' my wheel in a side to side motion and be nearly standstill. I am also riding backwards and am starting to handle the transition front to back, in style. I am assuming you were asking at what speed does the wheel help you and make it easier? THIS is how I answered you at first. The caveat is once you get speed to assist in staying upright, you begin to encounter....wobbles. I rode for almost a year, before I could comfortably mount and stop. Most of my very first vids were when I could barely get going('hop mounting' ftw). See, once you get going, its easier if you dont stop. I racked LOTS of miles without needing to stop often. Eventually I got better at it ALL, but it was not in a linear fashion. Yup, I'm an instant gratification type guy, so once I was on the street and rolling...... off I went. Real life street conditions forced me to learn how to stop and mount. WHew, I recall a horrid bobble start on a highway from a left turn lane. DONT try to mount when oncoming traffic is buzzing nearby at 60mph and you totally suck at it. Wait... :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

It is possible to roll at a very slow walking pace.

Slow enough to be in amongst a crowd of pedestrians on all sides.

Might be safer to dismount and trolley the wheel at that stage though, pedestrians are unpredictable.

They can change speed, direction, stop in an instant.

May take some practice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julian Lo said:

.   A higher speed means one will hit the ground harder if one falls.  

Technically its gravity that determines the force at which you hit the ground not your speed. Although forward momentum will make it more dangerous the faster you go. If you have fallen off your wheel very abruptly whilst learning say by hitting a pedal on something and felt the impact through your wristguards then this should be comparable to the impact you will experience in a cutout.

• Like 2