New rider with trouble moving forwards

CrumbsAndYums

22 minutes ago, CrumbsAndYums said:

Thanks for this tip. I've been practicing this on relatively slow speeds (8-10km/h) and it works a treat!

I'm surprised. Can you even brake hard at these low speeds before you're simply stopped?

In general, if you double these speeds, everything will be easier. Don't be afraid to accelerate strongly to get up to speed quickly (and without an intermediate wobbly low-speed phase). Also brake quickly.

Think of learning to ride a bicycle... too slow and you're just unstable and balancing is harder. So a certain baseline speed (maybe 15kph?) helps.

Anyways, you know best what works for you and what you are actually doing. Just saying my thoughts:)

• Like 1

Awesome! You’re well on your way now. It’s more or less about practice from here. Dialling in the subtle movements and shifting of weight, mounting, dismounting. Things that will come with time. Congrats on your journey. It’s a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CrumbsAndYums said:

Do I risk having the same issue if I adjusted the pedals to tilt forwards via an app?

I have no idea actually... I was surprised at my empirical discovery. But it does makes sense. If my feet are landing 'flat' and the pedals are not the same 'flat'. it has to look like an input to the control system.

I do know lots of folks run post-calibration tilt via the apps and are not plagued with overcurrent warnings. I entertained doing that to cancel the effect of my boots being higher in the heel than the toe box, but didn't and just got used to riding in them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm surprised. Can you even brake hard at these low speeds before you're simply stopped?

It could be that I'm still slow to shift my weight backwards while stopping. Using the method you mentioned, I can throw my weight backwards much faster and needing less time & distance to stop.

I definitely agree about the speed thing... just need the space to be comfortable going faster. I can't wait get outdoors but it has been rain and I'm still waiting for the full face helmet to arrive (express shipping that turned out to be slower than regular mail).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parallax33 said:

The training strap looks a good idea…

It really isn’t though. In the video it might help overcome a lack of confidence on the first try, since the rider doesn’t need to balance left to right due to the training wheels. But even in the video they took the strap off before they even took the training wheels off. So unless you are using training wheels, forget about the strap.

When you’re actually trying to balance with the wheel, you need your both hands and your whole body to be available for balancing movements. A strap takes half of it away, slowing down the learning process.

Besides, many wheels have a lift motor kill button under the handle, or a sensor in the handle. Even if you try to remember to switch it off, it’s a receipt for a disaster when the wheel suddenly turns off as you’re about to start or stop.

• Like 2

Just keep standing on it and leaning. it will eventually happen. The thing about training crutches is that you end up having to retrain w/o them anyhow. Jump in the pool, you won't drown. :)

• Like 3

I took @OldFartRides advice on the shopping cart. It helped a bit in the beginning, just to get a proper feel for things. I used it for about 30 min total in two or three sessions. I did mess around with the leash a bit, but found just catching my wheel by hand was easier. I brought the leash with me, just stopped using it. Be very careful of hitting the motor kill switch as @mrelwood mentioned. 

The best thing that really got me started was two basketball hoop posts side by side about 15 feet apart. I held one to mount and get stabilized then launched myself over to the next one. I’d either grab hold and stop or use one arm to swing around one then head over again to the other. I did that a fair bit as well as using some railings on some ramps. Having the safety of the posts for mounting, but then the open area to be hands free really helped me in the long run. After I was confident to leave the posts, I did a lot of circles, figure eights and straight stretches in a parking lot. Just be more stubborn then your wheel, everything else will follow. Lol. 

• Like 2

It seems it's a mental block if you can freely move back and forth while holding onto the wall. My first day -- a month ago -- I was able to ride in a basketball court after an hour. The first day I didn't mess with the PSI and it was the same PSI out the box. However, the second day I pumped up the PSI and I couldn't even get on the thing, let alone ride it! The third day I went back out and played with the PSI around 30-40psi and I was able to ride, so for me it was a PSI thing. PSI is very important imo. Why don't you get someone to hold onto so you can move forward consistently?

Edited by bkw
  • Like 3

Arms flailing, outstretched at beginning stages can help.

A wire-walker may use a pole for balance or may stretch out his arms perpendicular to his trunk in the manner of a pole. This technique provides several advantages. It distributes mass away from the pivot point, thereby increasing the moment of inertia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Julian Lo said:

After watching someone using this for 18 minutes and then riding the EUC without it, I was intrigued. https://youtu.be/EB3d411fVRw 

That was very clever. If I ever get the chance to teach another person to ride, I will remember to try the training brushes!

10 hours ago, CrumbsAndYums said:

I love how the wheel just waddles along slowly with the training brushes. XD

I took my wheel with the DIY training brushes to a basket ball court.  I had no problem with free mounting without holding onto anything.  But the "waddling" part is actually a flaw in the design concept (as shown in the SlowWheel brush video).  When the brush touches the ground left and right, it causes the wheel to wobble even with equal pressure on the pedals from both feet.  If I increased the speed, I would lose control of the wheel.  I think the shopping cart idea is better, or even better, a cheap/free rollator so that I can practice anywhere near my home and no one would object.  It's time to take the brushes off.

Edited by Julian Lo
spelling
  • Like 2

Whatever you use, it needs some weight to it. Full size cart can be tipped if you put too much leverage on the handlebar.

Anything light weight won’t give you the stability you need starting out.

Best,

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, Paul A said:

Arms flailing, outstretched at beginning stages can help. ... like tight rope walker

Tight rope style can be used, but arm flailing is usually done side to side (for twisting motion), flail left to steer right and vice versa, to steer into fall and to guide the EUC. I was able to do laps around a tennis court on my first try at arm flailing at 3 to 5 mph. I then moved to a long straight and found my V8F became stable at 6 to 8 mph, where I didn't have to focus on balance any more. I then worked on leaning forwards | backwards to accelerate | brake, which turned out to be instinctive. For tilt steering (move inner foot down, outer foot up to tilt the EUC), I first just tilted the V8F a bit to see how it would respond. I then tried a mild weave side to side, and later large radius turns. During this time I was using support to mount and launch as recommended by Kuji Rolls and Wrong Way. Since I could now ride, I then tried free mount, just a couple of steps and hop on, since I already knew how to ride.

Video of 3 year old kid arm flailing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YiHu5HJ6o

Video of advanced riders using arm flailing while nearly stopped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3o8U9uZeU&t=57s

Tilt steering improved more gradually, getting better at estimating how much to body lean versus how much to tilt EUC, depending on speed and turning radius. Over time, the foot movements to tilt steer became mostly reflexive. Slow speed, tight turns required some adjustment to improve on them.

I used this video as a guide for tilt steering, since the girl in the video is almost motionless (no arm flailing, no body twisting, no carving), just body leaning and tilting her S18 a bit less than body lean due to weight and speed. She does a weave pattern near the end, which I emulated when first learning to tilt steer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWMwK3Cfs0

• Like 1

I tried tying a rope between the basketball hoop posts I was using, but ultimately it was to wobbly for any use for me anyway. I went back to the accessibility ramp with railings and the hoop posts when I was ready for launching. 

• Like 2

I simply don't understand why the insistence on using crutches? FInd a nice soft flat yard, grow a pair and just keep trying. IN a soft yard, you dont even need to wear gear. It aint like GRASS is gna shatter an elbow. Gear aint gna keep you from twisting an ankle. My first 'crash' was in a yard. I decided to jump off and realized you cant run as fast as you think. I hit the ground and rolled. It was grass tho, so I learned a lesson, stained a tee shirt and was no more than a little sore. The amount of time spent thinking about it and finding tools, is more than the time it would take to free mount. Seriously guys and gals. Im not a whizz at learning. IT took me 3-5 15minute days in soft grass, then onto a deserted street. I still suck, but getting moving, shouldnt be THAT big a deal. WHen we learned to walk, we pretty much had to let go and go for it, didnt we?  What I lack in skill, I made up for in 'not give a sh*t'. Dont dip your toes in, jump in the pool. This aint an activity for the timid.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Simply start riding..

No hand holding, no wall, no carts, no nothing. It's easy using those as leverage.. Simply go on grass/sand (or somewhere if you fall it will be softer), and start riding ;) 

That's what i did, no gear or whatsoever. (Had my first face plant, but at low speed simply "Belly flopped")

Heck at home it was easy using wall.. The problem started when you released the hand. :w00t2:

If you always use a leverage. You generally aren't learning at all? Same thing as standing, you just stand on wheel, no balancing at all. Easy peasy lemon cheesy.

Getting on/off wheel you could use some leverage, but in long run, it will take more time learning that way.

• Like 1