340whr average battery life?

905brett

Can anyone comment on battery life of any 340whr IPS models? My 260whr IPS 122+ only gets 10-12km in -1°C weather with light hills and I don't know how much more it will get in warmer weather but maybe someone can give me an idea? I'm thinking of returning and getting a 340whr model IPS 121+ if it will give me closer to 20km range. I'm 210lbs also so probably close to the max load on this thing.

1 hour ago, 905brett said:

Can anyone comment on battery life of any 340whr IPS models? My 260whr IPS 122+ only gets 10-12km in -1°C weather with light hills and I don't know how much more it will get in warmer weather but maybe someone can give me an idea? I'm thinking of returning and getting a 340whr model IPS 121+ if it will give me closer to 20km range. I'm 210lbs also so probably close to the max load on this thing.

You already know that your ips 260wh battery gives you 10-12km, the function is pretty linear, so the 340 wh will give you approx 15km....lets calculate it another way and compare results.....Ok You are 11 lbs lighter than me, and my 680 wh battery used to give me approx 32 km in warm weather. So a 340wh would give me 16 km. Since you are 5% lighter, you should expect about 17km range. Both calculations are about the same.

Distance also depends on your riding style and the terrain as well as the wind and tire pressure. But lets assume good favorable conditions. Now i am finding that the affect of ambient temperature is not that major, unless you are going far below 0 C .  So the conclusion is , with your weight, if you want a 20 km ranger you need more than a 340wh battery - you have to get into the realm of kingsong/ gotway to get that.

even if you could squeeze 20 km out of a 340wh battery you would be charging/ discharging it fully whi h is not great - you need to have a margin. So go with a higher capcity battery. I think ips had a model with more than 340? Not sure. If you want to stay with ips, maybe you can figure out a way how to add another custom battery...there are people on the forum who can help you with that....

12 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Ok You are 11 lbs lighter than me, and my 680 wh battery used to give me approx 32 km in warm weather. So a 340wh would give me 16 km. Since you are 5% lighter, you should expect about 17km range. It also depends on your riding style and the terrain as well as the wind and tire pressure. But lets assume good favorable conditions. Now i am finding that the affect of ambient temperature is not that major, unless you are going far below 0 C .  So the conclusion is , with your weight, if you want a 20 km ranger you need more than a 340wh battery - you have to get into the realm of kingsong/ gotway to get that.

even if you could squeeze 20 km out of a 340wh battery you would be charging/ discharging it fully whi h is not great - you need to have a margin. So go with a higher capcity battery. I think ips had a model with more than 340? Not sure. If you want to stay with ips, maybe you can figure out a way how to add another custom battery...there are people on the forum who can help you with that....

Could be wrong, but one thing that might affect this also is the amount of packs. 680Wh is 4 packs, 340Wh is 2 packs. For the same power output, the 2-pack configuration needs to give twice the current (amperes) per pack vs. the 680Wh 4-pack configuration. Li-Ion -batteries give out less total capacity (and the voltage drops faster) the more current you pull from them:

battery-discharge.png

The C-ratings mean the discharge current in relation to battery capacity. This is a 2000mAh (2Ah) cell, so 0.2C = 0.4A, 0.5C = 1A, 1C = 2A, 2C = 4A.

So actually you'd likely get less than half the mileage from 340Wh vs. 680Wh. Depending how much power is needed, the difference may not be that large, but still it's probably a good idea to go with 4-pack wheel (if possible), not only for mileage, but also because heavy riders need more power and the power output starts to drop faster with less packs after they're more discharged (but not yet empty).

@CloudThanks for the detailed reply. The biggest reason I would like to stay with ips is the price and the 30km/hr speed. I can get the 340whr for $1100 canadian free shipping on amazon. I've seen the gotway that has 35km/hr but I don't know where to order that from or a price shipped to canada. Which model are you using now? You said you used to get 32km on a 680whr that is really good.

12 minutes ago, 905brett said:

@CloudThanks for the detailed reply. The biggest reason I would like to stay with ips is the price and the 30km/hr speed. I can get the 340whr for $1100 canadian free shipping on amazon. I've seen the gotway that has 35km/hr but I don't know where to order that from or a price shipped to canada. Which model are you using now? You said you used to get 32km on a 680whr that is really good.

I understand that gotway did not live up to the hype in terms of the 35kmh speed. First of all the gotway speed may be inflated, second it turned out that to use safety high speed tilt back you can only go to 24 kmh. If you want to go faster you need to turn off the safety tiltback, and i dont recommend it. 

I use kingsong - you can go with kingsong 680wh and it should give you more than 32 km at about the price of 1000-1100 US dollars. I dont know about canadian dealers, but maybe you can get one from a US dealer and have it shipped. It will go to real 30 kph.

Look at the link below:

https://www.electricunicyclereviews.com/s/sale-items.html

he has them in stock so you might want to ask him if he will ship to canada

@esaj thanks for that info. I definitely notice the power drops very quickly once it gets below 50% on my 260whr and if I hit a hill it will drop right to zero after a couple minutes. Not very ideal. I've only found the IPS 151 680whr model on a french website (gyrolibre.com) shipping from Paris, France but I can't find any pricing or shipping details. I don't think they will ship outside France. If I could get one in the USA I would make the drive out there. You guys have any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, 905brett said:

@esaj thanks for that info. I definitely notice the power drops very quickly once it gets below 50% on my 260whr and if I hit a hill it will drop right to zero after a couple minutes. Not very ideal. I've only found the IPS 151 680whr model on a french website (gyrolibre.com) shipping from Paris, France but I can't find any pricing or shipping details. I don't think they will ship outside France. If I could get one in the USA I would make the drive out there. You guys have any suggestions?

I think @Jason McNeil (Wheelgo: Miami, Florida / United Kingdom) sells some IPS-models (and King Song), and http://futureunicycle.com/ has some IPSs (but I don't think they have anything but the 340Wh models). For higher capacity / power -wheels in US, @KaleOsaurusRex (Electric Unicycle Reviews, which Cloud linked above) sells at least King Song, @johnc415 sold 18" Gotway High Speed -models at least at some point (they can get closer to 40km/h and have 1000W motors, but have no tilt-back whatsoever, so be careful if you decide to get one at some point ;)), probably there are other also. You can also check here:

56 minutes ago, esaj said:

I think @Jason McNeil (Wheelgo: Miami, Florida / United Kingdom) sells some IPS-models (and King Song), and http://futureunicycle.com/ has some IPSs (but I don't think they have anything but the 340Wh models). For higher capacity / power -wheels in US, @KaleOsaurusRex (Electric Unicycle Reviews, which Cloud linked above) sells at least King Song, @johnc415 sold 18" Gotway High Speed -models at least at some point (they can get closer to 40km/h and have 1000W motors, but have no tilt-back whatsoever, so be careful if you decide to get one at some point ;)), probably there are other also. You can also check here:

Thanks @esaj you really know your stuff! This is a pretty tough decision for me since the 14" king song model I like will cost over $1500 canadian plus shipping which I don't know how much will be yet. I've emailed the electricunicyclereviews for shipping costs to Canada. I really like the 18" kingsong 680whr it's $1195 us roughly $1700 canadian plus shipping :S my ips is a 16" wheel and I'm not sure how the 14" will handle (better or worse? Sharper turning but less bumps?) 18" sounds perfect but the price is almost double my current model ips 122+ 260whr which I got for just over $1000. I'm very tempted to just order the 340whr off Amazon to save a lot of money and headaches but I know I'd rather have a 680whr plus what you said about the 4-pack batteries sounds better for me.

9 hours ago, esaj said:

I think @Jason McNeil (Wheelgo: Miami, Florida / United Kingdom) sells some IPS-models (and King Song

Thanks @esaj, actually it's www.ewheels.com. We have stock of the 840Wh 14C, as well as a couple 640Wh models too—both of these include the fast 5A charger as standard equipment for ewheel.com orders. 

Our special edition IPSs, with the tremendously more powerful LG HG2 cells have been with Customs for over a month now, smeared with the same tarnished brush as the 'hoverboards'—considering how much time/cost was invested to upgrade the cells is a bit ironic. Customs claims they are also holding products on account of IP infringement issues, here too we're the only distributor, that I know of, who has secured a license for US Patent 8616313 (more to follow soon).  

11 hours ago, 905brett said:

Can anyone comment on battery life of any 340whr IPS models? My 260whr IPS 122+ only gets 10-12km in -1°C weather with light hills.

Another point to note, is that the 122 is supplied by a Chinese battery manufacturer whose actual specifications are not well known. In all probability the performance is not as good as those made by Samsung/LG. 

My 174Wh generic gives about 2,5-3km before slowing down, in -20C. Lhotz 340Wh gives around 8-10km in average -26C and in about -10C already 15km. All measured on same trip. Because voltage drops so much more in cold, with the same load, bigger battery gives You more range than direct capacity comparison lets one assume: When You are in about 30%, Your Wheel slows down and in cold + small capacity battery voltage drops more even on slight acceleration (or uphill) - so probably 340Wh gives You rather around +50% than +25%. And as @esaj pointed out, with 4x You probably more than double Your range from 2x.
I'm XS, so I can actually see more than 30km at summer :)

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks @esaj, actually it's www.ewheels.com. We have stock of the 840Wh 14C, as well as a couple 640Wh models too—both of these include the fast 5A charger as standard equipment for ewheel.com orders. 

Our special edition IPSs, with the tremendously more powerful LG HG2 cells have been with Customs for over a month now, smeared with the same tarnished brush as the 'hoverboards'—considering how much time/cost was invested to upgrade the cells is a bit ironic. Customs claims they are also holding products on account of IP infringement issues, here too we're the only distributor, that I know of, who has secured a license for US Patent 8616313 (more to follow soon).  

@905brett 

actually @Jason McNeil is a great source of wheels, kingsongs and other brands. I didnt realize he had 680wh wheels in stock but it sounds like he does. I bought my kingsong wheel from him and he provided excellent service, and even swapped the wheel for me for free when i wasnt happy about a minor item. This is the wheel i ride these days and its as strong as a tank! He is also very knowledgeable about the industry overall and can give you great advice on how to choose the best brand that fits your needs. He responds to questions fast and can ship wheels in a matter of a day or two. 

I will have to also recommend @Jason McNeil for your purchase. Man that guy knows his stuff! For reference, I bought the IPS 340 off amazon, the same one you're looking at, as well as a 840wh King song 14" from Jason. Both are amazing wheels but the king song seems to be made a little better. Get with him and see what he suggests. Also know that the IPS is a 16" wheel that is fat (2.5" wide) and the king song is 14". The 16" provides a much smoother ride but the range on the King song is insane with true 30kph speed. If you can afford it go with the King song. If you want Amazon convenience and less performance go with the IPS. 

Thanks for that @adhermes. I bought the ips 340 but I'm still not impressed at all with the range especially when either a) small inclines come into play or b ) the battery gets below 60% and suddenly plummets to 0% going any speed above 15km/hr. I want to enjoy the ride and not constantly worry about my battery dieing on me so I'm conflicted with having a battery powered wheel at all :/ if I was to go with a 14" king song 680whr would I still be able to go offroading without too many hiccups?

For instance the other day I went on a nice trail that had a very slight grade to it maybe 5-10% and from the top I went a good 6km at near full speed and dropped only 15% battery  but on the way back up I barely made it to the top and had to keep the speed to a 10-12km/hr max in order to preserve the battery. I want something that can maintain a decent speed the whole run without plummeting my battery as this trail run lasted just under an hour. I would like to do 2-3 hour rides or else a mountain bike will be my alternative motive.

1 hour ago, 905brett said:

Thanks for that @adhermes. I bought the ips 340 but I'm still not impressed at all with the range especially when either a) small inclines come into play or b ) the battery gets below 60% and suddenly plummets to 0% going any speed above 15km/hr. I want to enjoy the ride and not constantly worry about my battery dieing on me so I'm conflicted with having a battery powered wheel at all :/ if I was to go with a 14" king song 680whr would I still be able to go offroading without too many hiccups?

For instance the other day I went on a nice trail that had a very slight grade to it maybe 5-10% and from the top I went a good 6km at near full speed and dropped only 15% battery  but on the way back up I barely made it to the top and had to keep the speed to a 10-12km/hr max in order to preserve the battery. I want something that can maintain a decent speed the whole run without plummeting my battery as this trail run lasted just under an hour. I would like to do 2-3 hour rides or else a mountain bike will be my alternative motive.

Truthfully you have two options then. 

1. Buy the special 840wh King song 14" from jason Mcneil 

2. Save you money for about 6 more weeks and get the 1100w 18" King song with 1360wh battery pack from jason Mcneil for about $1800. You can ride that baby all day and go as off road as you like. I'm buying one as soon as he gets his stock. 

But it definitely get at least an 840wh. 

@905brettand others, please check my 25.1. post: I checked my generic ones battery, appeared to be bigger than specified, 2.9Ah/174Wh, instead of 132Wh. So My Lhotz has actually only double capacity, but range in cold conditions is app. 4x - I assume difference won't decrease in summer. Because the 174Wh drains in about 3k and 340Wh in about 12k (on flat I could probably keep riding both for I don't know how far), somewhere around 58Wh left voltage drops too much under load. Of course there is more left, but freeze makes the battery behave like it's at 58Wh. My generic ones cells are probably OK quality, because I know two generics that can't handle even 0 C. Thus I assume that 260Wh vs. 340Wh differ a lot more than I thought before (and I'mso happy I chose 340!).

My daughter weight is about 2/3 on mine and she got over double range with generic - seems to affect like temperature, which is consistent with physics. Thus if I get 30k on summer from 340Wh, some 90kg/210lbs person probably needs 1,6-1,7x capacity in flat and at least 2-2,5x in hilly terrain -> 850Wh!

I would really be interested about actual ranges (w/temps and weights) as many batteries as possible, gather asmuch data as possible for statistics.

On 25/1/2016 at 11:51 AM, OliverH said:

advertised WH multiplicated by 0.08 and you get the km +/- what's realistic

340WH * 0.08 = 27.2 km

My range is 18 real km, far from your expectations! (72kg, 3 bars pressure, 10° or 4°C)

Ips 121 340whr, 45 psi, 8°C, 210lbs, 6km down 5km back up slight incline battery barely making it back home drops to 12% on the incline at end of run where I have to drop speed to 10km/hr so it won't red light. When I stop the charge goes up to 45% but unrealistic since it drops so quickly if I go anywhere near an incline. Maybe on all flat I could get 18km or so but with real conditions in the city I can't push past 12km so I'm returning. So disappointing. I have to spend $2000 to get a 840whr and that's just too much for me especially when I can't confirm quality/range without dishing out. I guess I'm out of the EUC scene for now! Too bad cause they're so much fun.

4 hours ago, HIPPO said:

340WH * 0.08 = 27.2 km

My range is 18 real km, far from your expectations! (72kg, 3 bars pressure, 10° or 4°C)

OK fortgeht One thing. The min. capacity of the battery yo never can use (10-20% left if battery warning appears). The deeper the temp the less you get from the battery.

the 0.08 multiplicator is for cruising and an estimation:

340 x 0.8 x0.08 = 21.8 km which is close to yor 18 km. 

Make the distance test again at 20 degree and you'll have it closer.

Archived