Mango

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

That's interesting. Everyone else says its weight is really nicely distributed, specially compared to something like a Master, which really is very top-heavy.

2 hours ago, rebeuc said:

It is not specifically what I would refer to as top-heavy

i agree completely. it is well balanced and top heavy isn't accurate, that's why i followed with it's just very heavy. at slow speeds, especially on the michelin street pilot 2 tire with its rounded profile, if it leans 10 degrees, u might have to do a cheerleader split jump off and grab it with two hands. i've gotten pretty good at this maneuver. if it leans too far on a slow maneuver, u gotta make a quick decision, can i grunt it back straight and get moving or should i bail. my road is about 2000' so i stop and start like 100 times on my practice sessions, which is great because i figure starting out and braking are two very important skills. riding is easy. at both ends of my road, i have 2x4's like a hitching post i can grab but also challenges ur braking skills. if i lose too much speed, i fall over before reaching the hitching post, too much speed and i slam my body into it. rolling up to it perfectly and perfectly balanced, is challenging. plus i'm running the tire pretty hard at 40psi, 45psi is the sidewall pressure. for practicing i like it difficult, if i ever need to go off the ranch to run an errand, i'll drop the pressure 5psi to make it easier. same reason i like practicing in the wind.

i think more and more v13 riders will switch to the michelin street pilot 2 tire and they will see how different the wheel is for the better, but it does challenge ur slow speed balancing. u gotta be dead on, but it feels so good when u get it right. bad when u don't. why i bought shin guards. better late than never. i'll stop bleeding eventually.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man i still don’t know what my crash was about, I’m still owning it as rider error.

It feels a tricky wheel at speed with that tyre,

just everything needs to be right.

Right road, right balance points, right lean, right pressure in tyre, right headspace, right gear and then, you put your arm out and it tracks.. 

V13 just wanted me to know who was boss at that point. 

At speed now the slightest thing  can just throw it off. It’s a really great moment of tuning into EVERYTHING at that speed.

Similar to much faster speeds on my bike i kind of lock into concentrated headspace and it’s beautiful. But now I just pull back if I feel the the slightest hint of tracking or gyro pulling or anything.

It’s just a time on wheel thing I think. I’ve been out running speeds all week and sometimes it’s just doesn’t feel right for no reason at all. 

Edited by Forwardnbak
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

Man i still don’t know what my crash was about, I’m still owning it as rider error.

It feels a tricky wheel at speed with that tyre,

just everything needs to be right.

Right road, right balance points, right lean, right pressure in tyre, right headspace, right gear and then, you put your arm out and it tracks.. 

V13 just wanted me to know who was boss at that point. 

At speed now the slightest thing  can just throw it off. It’s a really great moment of tuning into EVERYTHING at that speed.

Similar to much faster speeds on my bike i kind of lock into concentrated headspace and it’s beautiful. But now I just pull back if I feel the the slightest hint of tracking or gyro pulling or anything.

It’s just a time on wheel thing I think. I’ve been out running speeds all week and sometimes it’s just doesn’t feel right for no reason at all. 

it's the tire. watch jon purcell's video on the michelin street pilot 2 comparing to the stock knobby. he had the exact same experience as u, without the wall.

not ur fault at all. u were doing everything u could to fight the tire pulling u offline.

1 hour ago, Forwardnbak said:

haha, i feel ya, the challenger was aptly named. i've had it two weeks now, and everyday on my fortieth mile i think, ya, i'm dialed in now. and the next day when i start out it's like, wtf, i'm starting all over. 

back in the day, people were claiming the 9b z10 because of the tire couldn't be ridden slowly. chooch deflated the tire to 14psi so he could ride it. i purposely kept the tire at max pressure and rode it at 3 mph. riding slow is what trains ur brain and body to balance. a dog can balance at speed, i've seen it. 

today starting out on the challenger, i purposely rode it very slowly to work on balance, even though i wanted to get my 700km in so bob yan would unlock my wheel. i don't care about top end but more torque would be nice. i don't use any of inmotions gimmicky bs, 100% hard level pedals, no assistance. it's perfect that way, and i'm running 40psi on the michelin street pilot 2, which really makes it a challenger. first couple of days i was like wtf did i do. still takes a clear mind to handle it. the max pressure for the tire is 45 psi, but i'm not going there. 

ditch the knobby and put on the michelin. u will love it. 

2 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

Man i still don’t know what my crash was about, I’m still owning it as rider error

If you look at the tire, it's not linear. The edges drop off at the sides. 

The wheel is also very heavy and i believe it makes it hard to correct once you get stuck on the side. 

So if you can get caught on the side of the tire, you have to fight to correct it. 

Reducing the psi helped a little. I'm 74kg and running 32psi. Still had a issue on grass that I got stuck on the edge and had to jump off. 

I'll probably try 30psi and if that doesn't work I'll chuck the Michelin on.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, soulson said:

And at least so far—knock on wood—I haven't been having any issues with battery, shocks, sensors, noises, etc. I was out in a rain shower today for a half hour ride, too, and didn't have any water trouble.

mine was creaky and noisy at first, and today with @mrelwoodadvice, i tried to check the shock adjustment thing pushing it back and forth, and it was noticeably quiter. like the v13 needs breaking in. 

i'm at 435.8 miles and still can't figure out why all the influencers got such lousy range. keep in mind, and i just measured my road on google earth, it's closer to 1500', so that's probably 125 starts and stops. 42.7 miles on 44% of the battery.and stepping on it at every start. maybe it's the street tire, and i guess braking i'm getting regenerative charging. idk, but i sure wouldn't pass on this wheel based upon reviewer's range tests. 

of course running the stock knobby flat like they like to do probably eats ur range as well.

82A43D9D-8AF5-4D41-AFAB-62ABC289EC43.png.de2057ae6adbaf41b34f430808ef2432.pngC9377DFA-7955-4465-A255-DBE59FC26C6C.jpeg.4fa8b5e99e22c9c17d5c1083a79508d1.jpeg

32FB79EA-F4B7-4309-BB33-170E6B9C4FCA.png

Edited by novazeus

It goes so much further than I've ever bothered to ride in one nonstop trip that the range wasn't even a consideration for my purchase. That's going to vary from person to person, though.

Something to consider @novazeus is that since you replaced your tire with a street tire—I assume one of the pilot streets—your mileage readout is going to be an overestimate by 7-10% due to the smaller tire circumference. Keep that in mind when you compare to the results from the reviewers who are using the stock tire.

Edited by soulson
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, soulson said:

It goes so much further than I've ever bothered to ride in one nonstop trip that the range wasn't even a consideration for my purchase. That's going to vary from person to person, though.

Something to consider @novazeus is that since you replaced your tire with a street tire—I assume one of the pilot streets—your mileage readout is going to be an overestimate by 7-10% due to the smaller tire circumference. Keep that in mind when you compare to the results from the reviewers who are using the stock tire.

do u think it's that much? plus this is with me stopping every 1500' and starting from a dead stop. still averaged 16mph. i'm too lazy to do the math but i wouldn't guess a quarter inch or 1/2" in diameter smaller would read that different. i'll see if i can measure it tmrw using the phone gps or something. 

If it's only a 1/4 or 1/2 inch diameter difference, then no, it wouldn't be that much. Half inch would work out to like 2.5% I think. It's still important to use GPS rather than app distance traveled though; EUC apps generally tend to overestimate even right out of the box, and reviewers noted that the V13 does as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soulson said:

If it's only a 1/4 or 1/2 inch diameter difference, then no, it wouldn't be that much. Half inch would work out to like 2.5% I think. It's still important to use GPS rather than app distance traveled though; EUC apps generally tend to overestimate even right out of the box, and reviewers noted that the V13 does as well.

yeah, it's not that much smaller than the knobby.

00C5FF04-4C9E-4885-8488-C12CCCEF043E.png.8cbb0f4a3a58324276e9c335e0bc3600.png

On 4/2/2023 at 4:47 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

not though the streets of Boston or on a bike path.

Sounds like a great place to ride! 

@mrelwood

I’m good a taking them apart and breaking the insides.  Dose that make me a potential candidate for euc mechanic school?

also about the mega thread.  It’s getting really dramatic!  I’ll need to set aside some extra time to go read every post. It’s reading like a novel.  

we might need someone to go back and make a highlights real or just add music and voice overs and scroll the whole thing in a video.

Edited by Josiah

On 4/3/2023 at 4:39 AM, HEC said:

Under normal conditions, if you press and hold that button and then press the power button, it will turn the DRL on / off.

What’s the DRL?

Also, regarding thermal paste, found this on Amazon. Does it look like the right product to install under the raptor controller board?

73762EB9-DD7C-4268-BFA4-A9BA219153F1.thumb.jpeg.16bca70e65edc2c76dbe26a5aaf9d79b.jpeg

https://amzn.to/3nKAsLQ

Edited by Josiah
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Josiah said:

What’s the DRL?

Daytime running light.

Edited by Paradox
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Also, regarding thermal paste, found this on Amazon. Does it look like the right product to install under the raptor controller board?

Yes, although it is such a large surface area I don't know if the little plungers will be enough (they do not have much material in them)

For not much more you can buy a little tub of thermal paste; I would look into getting one of those in case you need more

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, rebeuc said:

I don't know if the little plungers will be enough

I used 2 of those plus a little i had in another syringe of it, so about 9oz.

14 hours ago, novazeus said:

yeah, it's not that much smaller than the knobby.

I've been checking the speed with one of the radar signs i have near my house, the v-13 speedo is about 5mph off with the stock tire and 6mph off with the pilot 2.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Josiah said:

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/c5f3UVS7JYU

My kill switch short development.

Are you sure the plug is locked in? I have to really force mine in to get the clip lock to snap into place. One time i had to remove the tail light to get it to lock. It's awkward to get it from up top.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Josiah said:

Does it look like the right product to install under the raptor controller board

The MX-4 stuff intended for processing chips has great thermal conductivity and isn't electrically conductive, which we want. Problem is it's expensive for a pretty small amount and not very easy to apply to a large surface. If you're applying it directly to the MOSFETS i'd consider it, but for filling the big space under the board and not needing something super high performance you'd do better with this https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-98003-Silicone-White/dp/B0044NI2M2 (Dielectric meaning not electrically conductive)

Don't put this directly between the board and heatsink I was thinking this was between the heatsink and body of the wheel for some reason.

Edited by chanman