Learning to ride on a V11

Hellkitten

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

I’ve got a few from my cycling days. I think I need a windbreak more then anything for my gloves. I’ve got some shields I might try. May get one of the heated vests you mentioned before. When you’re cycling you generate a ton of body heat. On a wheel you’re just in a wind tunnel. 🥶

• Like 1

Heat vests do work.

Prevention of heat loss and shielding against penetration of cold is probably more important and efficient.

Front torso is the largest, most exposed and important area.

Newspaper is a very good windbreaker shield and insulator.  Flexible, lightweight, virtually free, disposable, easy adjustable thickness, large area wrap around sides coverage, tabloid or broadsheet size...

Position between heated vest and outer jacket.  Can tuck into pants to help hold in position.

Olden day Tour de France riders used newspapers under jersey for cold downhill run, then discard when hot.

• Like 1

Paper can also be used to make an impromptu shank prevention vest in prison. Build more or less the same way. Add thicker layers in the most vulnerable areas. 📝

Ive got a few windbreaker tops I’ll try. The pants helped a ton. It takes long enough getting layered and geared up as it is without adding catalogs or newspapers into the mix. 

I ended up going WAY further and longer then I planned which was partially my issue last night the first hour I was fine. I might start doing more frequent, but shorter rides as I’m currently just joyriding not actually commuting for the most part. 

• Like 1

Rolled up magazines and duct tape prevent wind and zombie bites plus they dissipate impact energy. Sure, it's uncomfortable and gearing up/down is a major chore but... zombie protection is important too. I can't honestly recommend them for wet weather.

Edited by Tawpie

30 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Shank protection, rough neighborhood.

Buy newspaper as improvisation if large cold change in conditions when riding.  

Zombie makeup/cosmetics?

Maybe he's born with it....maybe it's Maybelline...:huh:

Yup, makeup. It’s from Dawn of the Dead 2004. No Maybelline was used in the making of that zombie. 🤢 Lol 

• Like 2

Day 17- Did a shorter ride tonight likely will go out again. Went along the lakeshore then into High Park. It’s a nice forested area with paths and roads throughout. There’s a lake in one corner which I rode around. Then back to lakeshore and towards my neighbourhood where I did some tours through quiet streets. I smelt two skunk at different times and saw one.  Did some carving, which I still need to do a lot of practice on. I can do them, but not with a natural flow yet. I’m dropping off of curbs regularly now, love having the suspension. I jumped up a curb, not a crazy tall one. Close to regular sized. I clipped one of my panels when I did, I might pump up my tire a bit. I don’t need a snakebite.........

The saddle panels have started creaking a bit, which is kinda frustrating. I’ll see if I can figure out where it’s coming from exactly, if not I can live with it. I just like the silence. 

(Edit) I did break a piece of my right front panel. I patched it with some gorilla tape. 🙄 And pumped up my tire....... 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

Seems a bit like the introduction of ABS/ESC for cars.

Technology makes improvements for safety in braking, control....would expect there to be less accidents.

Except human behaviour 'consumes' that additional safety margin/improvement by driving more dangerously, so there is no longer any benefit.

Day 18- Man, we have unbelievably crappy roads in Toronto. So many potholes........ I started by heading back to the lakeshore paths. Then all the way to a historical site called The Brickworks. As the name implies it’s where tons of bricks were created to build a lot of the city. Most of the original buildings are there, with newer boardwalks surrounding ponds and marshes. The lower section of the Belt line (that I’ve been riding) connects there. I took the belt line out and continued my ride. Most of the trail is hard paced earth, but there is some construction in some sections and I had to take a detour up a steep dirt and rocky hill. It was very difficult to stay on, but I managed to ride all the way with a lot of twisting. I left the bike paths and headed for the streets. No skunks this ride, but I did see a fox, just wandering down a side street. I haven’t seen one of those in ages. I managed a clumsy mount using my non dominant leg, which was great. I did add some pressure into my tire before heading out. It’s a bit twitcher, but it didn’t take long to get used to. I started with four bars tonight as I didn’t charge it from my last ride. Once I dropped to two bars I headed home. That single bar limping sucks. I wanted to skip that. I hope the V13 has a bigger battery pack........🤔

Edited by Hellkitten

image.thumb.jpeg.2f3393eac7af5b26cacb693003454872.jpegI just got back from a decent ride similar to the last one from the post above. Along the lake and through the brickworks. I tried getting the app to log it on the map, but it somehow lost it.🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks @yoos, I took your input and did almost exclusively technical work tonight. 

I also took my upper pads off and tried some lower ones. I did find with the upper pads gone the wheel is much more nimble, but more prone to twist. 

I also found that ski goggles fit almost perfectly in a TSG helmet without a face shield. 🥽 

Day 19- I did mostly slow speed tight and intricate turns and figure eights mixed with rough terrain. I didn’t go far or very fast. I worked on learning more about centre of balance and leaning. I did some carving as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I worked on learning more about centre of balance and leaning

For me, I made super fast progress in this arena by riding on dirt paths/trails. The uncertain surface coupled with narrow and not-dead-straight forces the learning pretty quickly. And, assuming you're not on a rocky section, having bushes etc. on the sides keeps your wheel from getting quite as beat up (I dropped mine a lot).

And I still start every ride with a few tight figure 8s and some emergency stops from speed just because!

You're making remarkable strides, keep it up!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Day 20- Mix between parks and alleyways. I hit a ton of speed bumps, two of which were huge. I made it over all of them. A lot of rough concrete. Good amount of technical riding.

Some guy out jogging tried to race me on a bike path. Poor guy gave it a good go, I’ll give him that. 🏃🏼‍♂️

A lot of cops out tonight. Thankfully nobody bothered me.

I’ve been playing out with some of the app settings, I think I’ve settled on 0 pedal sensitivity. It’s like a Cadillac marshmallow. So smoooooooooth. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe one day make the trip out to Montreal, Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve.

Should be buttery smooth.

I love Montreal. ❤️ I just watched a video where a guy rides up Mount Royal. Montreal was the first contract I ever had and my ex and I lived there for a summer in my twenties. It will always hold a special place in my heart. Crappy roads for the most part though........ I think the winters and snow removal wreak havoc on the concrete. 

Day 21- I added more air to my tire and rode for the first time with a backpack. Having the bag wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. The added tire pressure is ok, I might lower it a tad still. It’s a bit twitchy. I also reduced the size and amount of pads on my wheel to little L’s at just below knee height. It’s close to riding with no pads. I was mostly on bike paths and along the Don river. It’s a great route, I’ve done it a few times now and think it will be a regular one. It will be really nice in the summer. I rigged up a bike bell to help keep the rabbits at bay. I’d love to avoid a bunny speed bump as much as possible. That would be awful for everyone involved. I didn’t do a ton of training in this session besides what I’d be learning from the ride itself, but there is a ton of decent roots and cracks along this route, so there was definitely some technical work involved. 

• Like 3