Learning to ride on a V11

Hellkitten

23 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

way to pair the speaker to the alarm on my wheel

For a KingSong, you go to preferences > Bluetooth then look for "KingSong Music". Probably sumptin' similar for IM. If you do this on your phone, then dBot should play all its sounds through your speaker.

But I don't know how your speaker chooses which bluetooth source to pair with, it probably needs the 'source' to initiate pairing and I'm pretty sure the wheels are 'clients' (or whatever the terms are in bluetooth land). Meaning, in a very confusing way, I don't think you can play your alarms directly from the wheel to the speaker.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

With the KS18xl, the BT connection with EUC app is not very reliable.  It can disconnect randomly.

It does beep to warn of the disconnection though.

Maybe set the speed warning very low to test out configurations afterwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tawpie said:

For a KingSong, you go to preferences > Bluetooth then look for "KingSong Music"

That's how you make sound from your phone play through the BT speakers of the KingSong EUC. I think Hellkitten wants the opposite: to play alarm sound generated by the V11 to sound through an external BT speaker. 

Not sure you can indeed reroute the native alarms (i.e. not app-produced) of the wheel to an external speaker. However, you can set up alarms in your app (I use EUCWorlds, not familiar with others) and route the alarms generated by the app to your BT speaker. 

If you want to exactly reproduce the native alarms of the EUC, perhaps there is a way to extract alarm status from the wheel data broadcast by your EUC. iirc, @supercurio was working on this for Begode wheels, he might know if V11 also gives away alarm status.

Anyway, the easy and short solution is to set up some alarms in the app and have them play via your external speakers (BT is never completely reliable though, and there are two BT connection here, EUC->phone->speaker. When I used EUCworlds AVAS feature, the accumulated lag was very obvious).

• Like 3

Day 32- a temperature regulator came in for my girlfriend’s oven today, but it needed to be picked up from the store. Obviously the only real option was for me to ride down and grab it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It was only a 6km round trip, so just a short jaunt. It was a mix of bike paths and streets, but all the road riding was along side traffic............. I’ve ridden for years on a bike in and around cars, but I’m still greenish on an euc. And overall the trip went well, traffic was respectful, I know all the hand signals, have a rear view mirror, I’m highly visible. My girlfriend commented on how quick I was (no comments please). These things are great little errand runners. 😄

i also found these in the boating section if anyone is looking for a loud @$&# off device. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/emzone-signal-air-horn-small-3-0-oz-0792714p.html

5D6846BA-417A-4069-9CE7-E4BC78F5BA8F.jpeg

• Like 3

Be careful with that thing! Back when I rode 2 wheelers I had one... a driver made a right hand turn directly in front of me, to express my displeasure I gave a long blast on the boat horn instead of the usual hand signal. The driver responded by panicking and slamming on their brakes, stopping directly in front of me... had they kept going all would have been ok but as it turned out I had to swerve into the roadway to avoid the car. The horn got used up at New Years and I didn't bother replacing it.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

@TawpieLol! Fair enough. Honestly I haven’t used it yet. I do use the regular bike bell and electric horn. I generally ride respectfully, use my signals, wave at people that let me through, travel in a predictable path. But, I’ve had dickhead drivers in the past do things like cut me off, yell out the window, I’ve been doored. I have it in my pocket for potential revenge honking. I just liked how tiny it is and the idea of a just in case 🖕🏻🎺

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Day 33- kinda. I’m going to start condensing a few rides together as I’m at the point that I am by no means an expert or not learning, but riding is becoming more regular to me. 

So we have a ton of snow here still and have for the past week and a half. It sucks, I hate the ice, I hate that the bike lanes are also the dumping ground for the snow they want off the roads. Because of the gross weather I haven’t gone out as much as I’d like. I have commuted a few times across the city which is about 45min ride each way. Just enough for the beard to get frosty. 

I tried a few times to use the bike lanes and did on and off, but they ended up ultimately being to icy and every block or so the path was just a wall of street dumpings. So ultimately I just rode in traffic. Not weaving in and out or anything crazy. Just taking the space like a car would. I kept up with traffic speed, left a safe distance between vehicles, signalled, had a high vis vest and lights. It was actually quite decent. None of the drivers seemed to mind, that I could tell. The traffic was also not moving crazy fast either, while there was no ice on the main roads there is still huge walls of snow on each side and people are mindful. 

As I was getting ready to leave on one of my rides a lady said “that seems risky to be riding right now” I laughed and said yes I’d avoid any ice. I was kinda surprised she even knew what it was. Then on the elevator up at end of that ride another woman wanted to know about my wheel. We chatted a bit and I told her a little about how they worked. Ultimately some nice interactions with people and some good rides. 

I left my wheel on a boot mat to collect water as the slush melted from it and I can’t believe how much water came out over the next few hours. I even spun it out before entering the building! 

• Like 2

The snow storm hitting the US East coast not far from Toronto is making news here.

Can see there was extreme cold of -30C in Toronto over the weekend.

Watch out for cars losing control and traction.  Just extreme and hazardous conditions.

Yeah I had 15inches right outside of my door! I leave a shovel next to it during the winter. I had to dig a path out. I grew up on the west coast and I’m not down with this white fluffy stuff. ❄️

I am careful. I rode a bike often in these conditions. The actual roads aren’t too bad. The city crews are decent at keeping them clear. If the temperature drops and there’s actually black ice I don’t ride on it. That stuff is deadly. 💀

Edited by Hellkitten
Cm to inches!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I was kinda surprised she even knew what it was.

Did she know what is was down to it being a V11? Or more in a general sense that you were on an EUC?

It is odd when I meet someone on the street that knows what it is, even generally! Most people around here don't care at all, or think I am a Romulan. :blink1:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Did she know what is was down to it being a V11? Or more in a general sense that you were on an EUC?

It is odd when I meet someone on the street that knows what it is, even generally! Most people around here don't care at all, or think I am a Romulan. :blink1:

Lol! No, no. She just asked how safe it was to ride in this weather. We never got into any detail. I mean she could have deduced that’s what it was for because I was fully geared up and was wearing a full face helmet. I was walking it down the sidewalk till I got to a cleared road. The sidewalk was unrideable. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, kiitick said:

I moved pretty quickly from a v11 to a used Sherman... My only regret, not buying the Sherman sooner.

I'm diggin my sherm for stable street runs. Ironically, I've been eyeballing a V11 for some reason. Still can't deny, I ride my mten most.  You still diggin the V11, or did your riding needs pretty much get handled by the sherm with little losses over the v11's abilities?

1 hour ago, kiitick said:

I moved pretty quickly from a v11 to a used Sherman... My only regret, not buying the Sherman sooner.

Just wondering as to how your V12 is fitting in with your Sherman and V11, from a usage perspective?

• Like 2

For the kind of riding I do, my v11 and v12 have been sitting collecting dust.  I'm thinking it's time to sell them and save up for the s20, so that I can get suspension with a knobby tire.

I will say that the v11 is the most comfortable wheel I have ridden. My only problem with it is I'm too lazy to swap out the tire for a knobby one, and right now with the ice and mud on my commute, I really appreciate the extra traction.

The v12 has pretty much fallen into disuse. It's a great wheel, but as of right now, I can do everything on my sherman that I can on the v12, and be more comfortable doing it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kiitick said:

I will say that the v11 is the most comfortable wheel I have ridden. My only problem with it is I'm too lazy to swap out the tire for a knobby one, and right now with the ice and mud on my commute, I really appreciate the extra traction.

Is your Sherman currently shod with a knobby tire? For your type of riding, are you riding in with the traffic, or are you riding on the side of the road like a bicycle? Thanks.

• Like 1

My sherman has a knobby tire, yes. The Kenda that comes stock.  I ride a mix of walking/biking trails, and riding on the road.  My commute is only 7 miles each direction, but about 4 miles of that is on a 2 lane back road with a speed limit of 40 mph.  Since I ride my sherman about 30 mph, I'm not holding people up, and I always slow down and wave people around me.

Since I'm a bigger rider, 220 LBS without any gear, I didn't feel that riding the beeps on the v11 on that road was as safe as the extra power and speed the sherman has. I just feel safer knowing I've got some overhead.

I ride on the roads these days if the speed limit is 30 or below, as I can keep up with the cars pretty well.  I also use LOTS of lights on my gear, and wear a bright yellow vest so that I'm as visible as I can be. 

I'm in Utah, and right now that means we have temperatures that go from 50 degrees to blizzard in one day. The knobby tire gives me SO MUCH more traction if there's any rain or snow on the roads. 

Edited by kiitick
  • Like 3

That makes a lot of sense.

I am wondering if there is a large group of riders who are looking for a wheel that is as good or better than a Sherman, good at what it does best, and has a decent suspension to boot? 

That elusive Sherman replacement. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1