Learning to ride on a V11

Hellkitten

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

This interaction certainly made up for that lady yelling at me on my last trip.

I think you are being generous! Are you sure that was a lady? Might have just been a woman ... :whistling:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Winterwheel rides in extreme conditions.  Would have great experience on how to do it.

Maybe spiked tyres, clothing, equipment etc.

Think there might be videos on a YouTube channel.

Yeah I’ve watched all of the ones I could find. ❄️🥶👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I got a bit of normal riding in until it really started snowing with big wet flakes

Wet snow is the worst. And it's terribly slippery. But about an inch of cold snow at 0F is almost perfect traction. The one thing I didn't get to do last winter was try riding the cold smoke* and it's high on this year's want-to-do list. I'm hoping the TR1 on the S18 won't clog up and will provide enough grip to plow through... we'll see right?

*cold smoke: probably an old term, it refers to the cloud of powder left behind when you're skiing the steep and the deep. Jump to about 3:48 where it gets really really, really fun. I learned to ski on this very hill, so you can imagine my disappointment when I moved west and discovered something known as "Cascade Concrete". 

• Like 2

Nice wide runs, and then some random solitary dead tree is poking up. 

Great viewing at half speed.  Some of the narrow paths with trees on both sides would have been hair raising to weave through at full pace.

Cold smoke, very nice.

• Like 1

Yeah, those guys know what they’re doing and they know the mountain. That hill gets 400 inches a year of mostly the super light fluffy powder—you can’t breath when it’s up in your face like that and when you wreck, good luck finding your hat. But oh dang, there’s nothing like it.

I’m hoping I can be out after an overnight dump before the plows come though—sail along and get another Darwin nomination.

I’m thinking 0-10F would be ideal temperature @Hellkitten.

• Like 2

Day 27- I didn’t really go for a ride, but more training on things I need to improve and to try out the new flypads I made. I went back to my old stomping grounds the school yard and park that I did most of my initial learning in. I spent a good amount of time just mounting then tight circles then dismounting and mounting again. I did see significant improvement in my mounts. 

One of nice things about these pads I was trying out is they leave the body of the wheel free so you can get the large range of motion with it. While letting you torque against them and accelerate on the pedals. They also help lift the wheel up for jumping. (That I still need to work on) they also keep your feet grounded while hard braking. I am however going to round off the foot facing corner on them as it  hits a spot on the top of my foot and also occasionally gets in the way of mounting. 

E67960FA-F27E-4B32-B4BB-A8A3F5B1362C.jpeg

D7EB453C-9A8B-4C53-8AB4-2A50E64BAFFF.jpeg

• Like 1

Day 28- I rode again along the lakeshore then up Humber valley. I had no pads on but the little fly pads I made. I trimmed the corners off last night and wanted to retry them. I’m starting to appreciate the very tight control and turning that can be done without any pads and allowing the upper section of the wheel to drift between your legs. It’s just a looser riding style. 

I had a semi strange issue that I wanted some feedback on. I had my top speed set to 30mph on the app, but I started getting beeping and tiltback at 24mph. Any thoughts? I realize it says 31mph on the first pic, but I stopped and raised the top speed to 34mph after getting the beeps. 

C6F9CBA6-2EF0-4DDD-8CAE-F9CAE74A4D61.jpeg

C767037A-6D44-47B5-A5CB-932AF1F0C731.jpeg

Edited by Hellkitten

8 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I had a semi strange issue that I wanted some feedback on. I had my top speed set to 30mph on the app, but I started getting beeping and tiltback at 24mph. Any thoughts?

What was you battery level or percentage around the time this was happening? You may have "throttled". I don't know the curve, but EUC tiltback comes on earlier and earlier as battery power dimishes.

@Hellkitten

https://www.facebook.com/InmotionWorld/posts/urgent-noticeafter-checking-on-the-tilt-back-issues-of-inmotion-v11-updated-to-t/3366548456760603/

Urgent Notice:
After checking on the tilt-back issues of INMOTION V11 updated to the latest firmware, we found it the abnormal performance on the IMU temperature sensor which causes the false IMU overtemperature alarm results in tilt-back. And this issue will only appear in the cold area. The firmware to fix the bug will be released in one day. You can push the wheel forward and backward for a few minutes until it's self-balancing as the emergency procedures. Sorry for bringing you inconvenience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

It was much warmer out and no wind, didn’t have any premature tiltback. I also bought some mittens and larger wrist guards, having warm hands my whole ride was soooooooo nice! I was recently judging my ride time by hand temperature.......🥶

You live in Toronto and didn't have mittens? ;)

1 hour ago, Silverfish said:

You live in Toronto and didn't have mittens? ;)

Many, many, many pairs of gloves. Understand that up till now I’ve been a cyclist and the only decent mittens that work for that are the split finger versions. Having all the fingers in one section helps keep them warm, but functionality goes out the window. 

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Might need to be mindful of corrosion if salt is used on roads.

Great progress.

Thanks Paul! I think I’m getting close to 600miles now. I’ll have to check.

Yeah I’m being mindful of the salt, I had to fully replace my bike’s drive train a few years back from a full season of cycling. Thankfully we’ve had very little snow and not much salt put out so far. I’m trying to get as much riding in before the ice fully sets in........ 😕

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I’m trying to get as much riding in before the ice fully sets in........

When that happens, head to the country! The walking paths get packed down pretty quickly, if you ride them when they're not icy or slushy they're a blast. The suspension on your V11 will get a work out too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

@Tawpie any cold smoke updates?!

Sadly no. We're stuck here on the wet side of the mountains—holiday prep etc. Hope to be in the snow after the new year... they got their first dump of the year a couple days ago so at least the season is getting started!

• Like 1