Learning to ride on a V11

Hellkitten

@Tawpie finally finished the sculpture for the silicone pads tonight. I textured it like old worn leather. I should be able to mold it in the next week or two. The castings after that will be fast. It’s a mirrored image design so there’s only one mold. The cast pads can be used on each side of the wheel respectively. Should have real updates then. Thanks for the push to get my lazy a$$ in gear to finish these up! 

• 3 weeks later...

Rolled over the 2000 mile count on the odometer today! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Still loving the riding, getting into carving and cornering. My average speed is around 18-19mph and I regularly hit 30mph and get tiltback. I really like the V11, but I’m feeling it’s limits. I think I need something with more oomph........

Going on my first group ride on Friday. Excited to meet other local riders and learn from them. It’s a leisurely sunset cruse, sounds sweet. 🌞

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

Going on my first group ride on Friday

Have a blast! (Mind your spacing, riding in crowds sporting a mix of skill levels and some obligatory showing off can be… exciting)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Rolled over the 2000 mile count on the odometer today! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

That was faster than I expected ... and I was expecting fast! :efee8319ab:   :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scottie said:

That was faster than I expected ... and I was expecting fast! :efee8319ab:   :cheers:

Ha ha! I’ve been commuting 25 miles a day plus some personal riding time.....

17 minutes ago, Paul A said:

What is the next wheel with more oomph going to be?

Good question, I’m partial to the Sherman but I’ll take suggestions. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

Good question, I’m partial to the Sherman but I’ll take suggestions. Lol. 

Hopefully you will get to try some different wheels on your group ride ... ya' know ... to find out if you neeeed suspension or not. That will widen or narrow the field of choices.

• Like 1

The sunset group ride was a ton of fun! Bought a fantastic horn from the guy that hosted the ride, hands down the one I’ll keep using. There was about 20 riders, eucs, scooters, ebikes, one skateboard for a bit. We started off in the downtown core, then rode our way to the brickworks. Which is a refurbished wilderness area that obviously was where local bricks were made back in the day. After watching the sunset and some charging the group continued to ash bridges bay, a local arena where we stopped to chill, socialize and see the sun finally go down behind the boats there. From the arena it was more or less a cannonball run back into town to a bubble tea shop that apparently is where a lot of the riders hangout. Will definitely be doing it again. 

• Like 2

As far as ooomph goes, i ended up talking to a few riders there that said going to another wheel will be unsatisfying after the V11. I didn’t try out any others there yet, but both of them ride V11s and had ridden a bunch of other wheels. I might wait and see what the V13 ends up like. 🤔

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paul A said:

What was the horn, is there a brand name, link, picture?

Great to hear the ride went well.  Maybe a regular thing then.

I just checked the box, instructions and the horn. The only branding I can find says ridemag.ca on it. But all that leads me too are some unrelated websites. The guy I got it from said @Jack ex-KS developed it and he has them manufactured in China. It’s a 12volt USB rechargeable car horn with a wired trigger plus two wireless ones. I’ll try and get more info, but they seem to be semi customized. 

• Thanks 1

One of the cohosts from https://www.pevlane.com/ is the guy I got the horn from. He also was trying out some prototype made for euc shoes. If they hold up and seem decent they should hit the market next year. He really seemed to like them so far. They looked nice, thick black leather high tops, there is some sort of custom insoles made for helping with foot fatigue. Great podcast if you’re looking for more nerdy euc stuff.

2 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Bought a fantastic horn from the guy that hosted the ride

pics or it didn't happen.

I sort of wanted to put the horn/motion detector/alarm I got for the SO's eBike on my wheel, but it's too loud for pedestrians and rather large and bulky. But it is loud. And very car-like. Econobox car. I wish it had a toot-toot mode, but it only has BEEEEEEEEP.

Edited by Tawpie

Good to hear read that you had a fine group ride and met some good people. I was kinda' hoping you would ride a different wheel just to get a reaction or opinion about a hard tail. :P Someday ...

• Like 1

Ah. That horn. It's the same as the one I got for the eBike. They're popular around here, some folk hang them from their backpack straps but they're too loud in the helmet for my taste. I need to "southern engineer" a "roll cage" or other faux bar for the 16X so I can attach all sorts of doodads. Been envious of the Sherman crew for quite some time.

It should have a motion alarm...

• Like 2

@Tawpie indeed it does have a motion alarm, with adjustable sensitivity settings and tuneable horn sound. I have it mounted on my backpack strap. The trigger cord is a perfect length to my hand. I put a magnet on the trigger and one on my glove so it sticks. I bet you could stuff some foam into the opening to dampen the sound if you wanted to. 

• Like 1

Went for a lengthy bug and blossom filled ride this evening. Also rode down my first stairs. It was only two, but it’s a start and much higher then the curbs I’ve been jumping. Lol. 

• Like 2