Learning to ride on a V11

Hellkitten

Numbness could be due to restricted blood flow.

Perhaps tight shoe laces, tight shoes, inserts taking up space in shoes..

Squeezing lower legs against the pads/wheel may be constricting the arteries to the feet.

Fantastic progress in fourteen days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Numbness could be due to restricted blood flow.

Perhaps tight shoe laces, tight shoes, inserts taking up space in shoes..

Squeezing lower legs against the pads/wheel may be constricting the arteries to the feet.

Fantastic progress in fourteen days.

Not sure if it’s tight foot wear. I’ve tried three different types. None of them are that tight. I’m also not clamping the wheel with my legs much. I’m riding loosely with my feet towards the outside of the pedals. I’ve got some cushy winter boots I’ll try next and see. I think I need to move around a bit more and get the blood moving that way. Being by the lake also made my feet cold which might be part of it. 

Thanks for the props on my progress! I do think having a cycling and skiing background helps. I won’t deny that the first few days I felt like I would never be able to do this. It was very frustrating and my legs took a beating. But I really wanted to pick this crazy sport up. Once things started to click there was no going back. For me this is as much about having fun as it is about transport in an urban space. I don’t drive so I either take public transit, cycle, or walk. This is another gap filler. 

• Like 3

I had the same numbness when I started. I found that moving your feet around really helps, and after 45 minutes to an hour stop and walk around a bit.

im teaching my grandkids to ride and I’ll always stop after a half hour let them run around and get their feet back

Ron

• Like 2

Yes, cold temperatures will constrict blood vessels, especially to the extremities.

Veins with one way valves, require muscle contractions to squeeze the blood back to the heart.

Blood at the lowermost feet would require the most force.

Probably doesn't help that leg muscle contractions would be limited when standing near motionless on an EUC, instead of usual walking.

• Like 1

Day 15- I took the lakeshore path to the don valley trails again, then into deep Scarborough to visit a friend. Started off with a fully charged battery and got home with 37% left. The max speed I’ve hit so far is 25mph, that’s definitely not my regular cruising speed. The direct route took about an hour and fifteen minutes. I had to to slow down a few times from getting to cold. One of my legs was shaking and was starting to cause wobbles. I think I need to wear my windbreaking gear for any long rides till it warms up again. Getting that cold was also messing up my reaction to obstacles. Thankfully I have all of that from my cycling. I had to take a bit of a detour to avoid a skunk that was in the middle of my street. I think I can get that time down to an hour in better weather. I tried some bigger winter boots and they were decent to ride in, kept my feet warm at least.

I saw a ton more rabbits, two skunks, a deer and almost hit a bird. I think because these wheels run so quiet animals are unaware you’re getting close.

i passed four cop cars on my route and nobody stopped me. I guess I looked safe enough or too much of a pain in the a$$ to bother with. 

My free mounting is getting a little better, still needs work. I did a few super tight circles and actually scraped my pedals. They weren’t on purpose, but I righted myself and kept going, so I’m counting those as a win. I did a very high curb drop and landed it. 🤘🏽 I think having suspension for those is sooooooo much easier. I’m used to it on my bike, I’d have a hard time going without. I hit a lot of roots growing underneath concrete paths making lots of mini speed bumps. Went through a few gravel sections without much problems. It was tightly packed, I think loose gravel would be unridable. I bailed in some thick mud again, that stuff keeps getting me. 

I found a helmet mirror after four stores. It’s a design I don’t like and the reason why is the arm keeps lowering as I hit bumps. I have to constantly reposition it back into my line of sight. I like having them on a helmet, I have them for cycling. I’ll have to rework this one and stop it from moving around on me. (Edit) I put some monkey snot on the ball socket on the mirror which seems to have fixed it’s issue. https://www.butyl-tape.com/

I think I’ve hit 240 miles now. 

Edited by Hellkitten
Adding a product link
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Day 15- I took the lakeshore path to the don valley trails again, then into deep Scarborough to visit a friend. Started off with a fully charged battery and got home with 37% left. The max speed I’ve hit so far is 25mph, that’s definitely not my regular cruising speed. The direct route took about an hour and fifteen minutes. I had to to slow down a few times from getting to cold. One of my legs was shaking and was starting to cause wobbles. I think I need to wear my windbreaking gear for any long rides till it warms up again. Getting that cold was also messing up my reaction to obstacles. Thankfully I have all of that from my cycling. I had to take a bit of a detour to avoid a skunk that was in the middle of my street. I think I can get that time down to an hour in better weather. I tried some bigger winter boots and they were decent to ride in, kept my feet warm at least.

I saw a ton more rabbits, two skunks, a deer and almost hit a bird. I think because these wheels run so quiet animals are unaware you’re getting close.

My free mounting is getting a little better, still needs work. I did a few super tight circles and actually scraped my pedals. They weren’t on purpose, but I righted myself and kept going, so I’m counting those as a win. I did a very high curb drop and landed it. 🤘🏽 I think having suspension for those is sooooooo much easier. I’m used to it on my bike, I’d have a hard time going without. I hit a lot of roots growing underneath concrete paths making lots of mini speed bumps. Went through a few gravel sections without much problems. It was tightly packed, I think loose gravel would be unridable. I bailed in some thick mud again, that stuff keeps getting me. 

I found a helmet mirror after four stores. It’s a design I don’t like and the reason why is the arm keeps lowering as I hit bumps. I have to constantly reposition it back into my line of sight. I like having them on a helmet, I have them for cycling. I’ll have to rework this one and stop it from moving around on me. 

I think I’ve hit 240 miles now. 

Sounds like it all in the books now, congrats! Mud is pure evil, tis nothing you can do about it. Loose gravel is its younger sibling. You can ride loose gravel, but its more like walking the wheel, left/right. GLad you had fun and are already figuring it out. Now you dont need focus on anythign but riding, and the skill will continue to grow. Yeah, stay warm, as shivering doesnt help at all!

• Like 1

Battery heated vest will help.

Heat pads located at the back near kidneys are helpful.

Large volume of blood continuously passes through kidneys for filtration.

This is the area to warm the blood that then circulates.

Bit like the radiator of a car, except using as a heat absorber.

Going well.

Edited by Paul A
Typo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Battery heated vest will help.

Heat pads located at the back near kidneys are helpful.

Large volume of blood continuously passes through kidneys for filtration.

This is the area to warm the blood that then circulates.

Bit like the radiator of a car, except using as a heat absorber.

Going well.

no sh*t? I always wondered why vests were so popular for bikers. I figured you just keep the heart warm and hope the arms dont fall off. Your explaination makes mo' bettah sense! Thanks!

Ironic, I have 'motion heat' heated glove liners otw for paramotoring. It seems they can also be plugged into a vest. Now I know why people bother. My MC suit company also mentioned that heated vests were common for under the suit.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 1:33 PM, Hellkitten said:

When on a bike you’re exerting all the energy to move, so I was almost always taking efficient paths. I’m finding a ton of nooks and crannies around town that I missed before. 

That is one of the most enjoyable parts for me. It is so easy to roll over here, and then over there, stop on a bridge and look down, and so on ... It is so easy to examine our world in greater detail on a EUC, than it is on other machines.

4 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I think because these wheels run so quiet animals are unaware you’re getting close.

True ... except for dogs. I am amazed at how many dogs I can hear inside their owners houses having a bark fest as I ride by. I am convinced they hear the frequency of the control board. Although I have ridden right past ground hogs, geese, and rabbits that seem like they just do not care.

I am glad you are making such good progress. Next Spring is all yours!

• Like 3

Safety cutoff question. I’ve turned the volume off on my wheel, not interested in it beeping and squawking every time I turn it on or look at it sideways. I have the speed setting at 30mph, I’ve only hit 25mph so far. When I eventually get to my setting threshold will I get an audio warning and tiltback or do I need to turn the volume back on? I still get an “please be careful” when my wheel falls over. I’m assuming I’ll get both, but I kinda want to know ahead of time. Lol. Thanks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottie said:

True ... except for dogs. I am amazed at how many dogs I can hear inside their owners houses having a bark fest as I ride by. I am convinced they hear the frequency of the control board. Although I have ridden right past ground hogs, geese, and rabbits that seem like they just do not care.

I am glad you are making such good progress. Next Spring is all yours!

Not just dogs. Some of the cattle around here don't like it either. I also believe its more than just motion, I think its a frequency thing that we don't hear.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Not just dogs. Some of the cattle around here don't like it either. I also believe its more than just motion, I think its a frequency thing that we don't hear.

How do the cattle actually behave that shows their displeasure? Do they run toward you, or away from you ...?

• Like 1

https://www.beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_silence_golden

Silence Is Golden

Canadian research indicates a mum crew and a quiet environment makes for less anxious animals at handling time.

Jon M. Watts, Ph.D. | Apr 01, 2006

Cattle are able to hear a much wider range of sound frequencies than humans. Most young adult humans can hear sound in the range of 20 to 20,000 Hertz (Hz). ... The frequency hearing range of a cow, however, is from around 16 to 40,000 Hz. The environment is full of sounds inaudible to humans but clearly audible to cattle.

• Like 3

As you are approaching higher speeds, if you are not already I would practice emergency stops and hard braking at the speeds you are now hitting. 

When I first went out the birds had no clue what I was and were not startled like they would have been had I been walking. It is so true that dogs in a garden bark and get alert whilst out in the parks they either don't bat an eyelid, want to play, or I had one who is scared of any type of wheels (Cars/Bikes/EUC's). I don't really get any grief from them although I had one chase me and I just played around with it going in circles and slaloming. Which on hindsight probably wasn't the best idea but was fun at the time.

Cattle/sheep and horses do look and appear intrigued when I go past. Yesterday a couple of horses in a field, looked, made a little jump and carried on looking. But totally ignored me when I went back the same way later. I swear some birds when responding to us enjoy flying along side us as we go down a road at 15-20mph. . Yes I will keep taking my medication. 

• Like 3

I had a couple of horses 'approach' with that wild wide open eye look that told me to back off... NOW DANG IT. They were part of a herd of rent-a-horses so at first I thought they figured I had treats, but then they gave me that strange side-eye. So I backed up and took a wide berth. The rest of the herd could have cared less that a yellow power ranger appeared out of nowhere but those two weren't having any of it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Besides I had important loops and figure eights to do, so I kept at it.

:eff034a94a:                    ...                         :laughbounce2:                         ...                       :roflmao:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scottie said:

How do the cattle actually behave that shows their displeasure? Do they run toward you, or away from you ...?

The young ones run. The ones closer to the Jerky factory simply stop eating and stare at me. I don't mind tho, it just reminds me to eat more beef...

• Like 2

Day 16- I did a mix of bike paths and urban, mostly back streets. Just over 36 miles and hit 25mph. The app says I still have 37miles left on the battery. There is no way that’s possible. I started on a full charge at five bars and I got back with less then two. I’m not sure how it’s estimated, but something is off. 🤔 of course it said I had 111miles At full charge. 🤣

I added a layer of windbreaker pants, which helped a fair bit. Still got cold by the end of my ride, mostly hands and upper body. I ended up going further and longer then I expected. I’ll add a few layers next time. 

I’m feeling more and more in tune with the wheel the more I ride. Although as I get colder I loose the ability to do detailed maneuvers, and develop wobbles while braking. I can’t wait to try this when it’s warmer. 🌞 I did get excess vapour on my face shield and had to crack it a bit on and off. I only saw one skunk this ride, but I was mostly on streets. The only bailing I did was on some crazy uneven frosted grass that I thought there was a path on, but wasn’t. I ran it off, my wheel got some new grass stains. It’s looking less and less showroom quality. Lol. 

58 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

The app says I still have 37miles left on the battery

Don't trust the app or you might get stranded :) The charge percentage indicated is linearly related to voltage, not to actual energy remaining. Often the last "30%" of the battery are spent very fast. Also different apps somehow show different percentage left. As an example here's a table showing distance travelled vs voltage vs % indicted by inmotion app vs % indicated by EUCworld. It's a V8S and the inmotion app showed 9% charge remaining but the wheel actually tilted back all the way and could not be ridden at this point, so the inmotion app was obviously in the wrong.

Moreover, in general consumption (wh/km) varies and strongly depends on speed, inclines etc. While the EUC is very energy-efficient, unlike an internal combustion engine, air drag becomes very strong at high speed increasing consumption drastically (and consequently reducing range). You also have to account for wind. It appears that 20kph-25kph is most efficient. 

• Like 2