Anyone jumping with the EX.N?

I love jumping, but it is not my main use of EUC. Main use is off roading in general. At the moment I ride MSX84v 1300Wh.

So... most would just say "get the RS HT". Sure, but I would also want more high speed, (go for RS HS?) and more battery.
So queston is... does the extra weight of the EX.N make it unsutible for high, long jumping? I have tested the EX.N just a little bit and love the handling, but....   Anyone doing some real mobbing with it? 

Just a year ago some would even say the weight of the RS would be to much for jumping, but the RS is the wheel trashed arounf the most theese days it seems.

Anyone doing big jumps on EX.N?
Anyone seen a video of someone doing it?

If you want to do the big jumps go for the RS. I personally don't like the the feel of the Ex.n in the air. The extra battery pack adds quite a bit of weight. Feels awkward jumping. I sold my Rs Hs last spring and bought an Ex.n for a range upgrade. If I started doing jumps again I would go Rs Ht all day.

Edited by SorenStarr
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, SorenStarr said:

If you want to do the big jumps go for the RS. I personally don't like the the feel of the Ex.n in the air. The extra battery pack adds quite a bit of weight. Feels awkward jumping. I sold my Rs Hs last spring and bought an Ex.n for a range upgrade. If I started doing jumps again I would go Rs Ht all day.

Hi  SorenStarr, I am debating between the EX.N and Rs HS for primarily street riding. What are your thoughts about the handling with the extra 13 lbs and the differences jn torque between the two?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, thendless said:

What are your thoughts about the handling with the extra 13 lbs and the differences jn torque between the two?

The 13lbs really isn't a huge deal. The two wheels feel very similar. The Exn shell is just a bit wider than the Rs as well. I think that you would have a more enjoyable experience jumping an Rs if that was your thing. Not much of a difference in torque between the two wheels. Same motor. If you want to ride at high speed for miles without range anxiety get an Exn. I was able to run the Rs Hs down to 20% battery in only 20-30 miles of riding. Now with the Exn I can push it 50 miles easy riding between 25 and 35mph. Loving the Exn!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, EMA said:

the great plus of EXN is the better weight distribution (vertical battery)

That is strange as I understood the Ex.N has different sized packs on each side making it sideheavy? Not very noticable, but still.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zeroSIXzero said:

That is strange as I understood the Ex.N has different sized packs on each side making it sideheavy? Not very noticable, but still.

you will never notice the side difference, neither the front/back ,except when using trolley, just trolley reversed :)

the most important thing is that they are vertical (more weight on bottom) and the wheel never tend to wobble like an RS can do if you do something wrong

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 2:27 PM, EMA said:

do not jump on heavy wheels, they are not made for that, you can do serious damage :)

For EXn Sport check this out (at 6:10) : https://youtu.be/59Z93VoOqw4

For Monster Sport flying action: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSsR-SjKyZq/?utm_medium=copy_link

I ride an EX.N, replacing my former MSX 84V. While i love the extra power, safe speed (not a speed freak, but 45km/h on the MSX is not as safe as on the EX.N) and the long range that 2700Wh battery provides, i am in line with SorenStarr,  don't like the feel of the EX.N in the air. I sometimes do some lines in our local dirtpark, and the EX.N does tilt backwards as soon i get it into the air. Doesn't  matter if its a long table or just a sidewalk curb, the case titlsbackwards and the tire starts spinning backwards to compensate. As soon you land, you throw dirt in front of you or leave a skidmark on the tarmack.

Today i was thinking about this, and i think its the two battery packs in the back and only one in the front. You lift the EUC in front of the center of gravity and of course it tilts backwards. 

The thing i want to try is, reversing the case! I'd just swap the pedals and the jump pads (i ride TorquePads one, mounted with velcro). Therefore i'd ride the EX.N backwads, two batterpacks in the front, one in the back. the jumpads will now lift the EUC closer to its center of gravity, which should result in less tilting and better feeling jumps. If it tilts forwards, the correct posture can limit the tilt because your calves will take contact with the jumpads braking flaps.

The motor is same powerful both ways. And if i like the ride feeling better, i'll try to swap the front and rear lights as well. This might take some more modifications, but should still be easier than swapping the battery and controlboard inside.

What do you think?

Edited by btl

2 hours ago, btl said:

The thing i want to try is, reversing the case!

you can do it, but remember that firmware is tuned for the original direction, nothing crazy will happen, just take your time to know the new behaviour :)

[ i've reversed my EX in the past ]

Thanks Ema, valid point. I ride it on hard so there is hardly any "behaviour" anyway, but i'll see and learn. If it works out, its maybe worth the work to flip board and battery internally. 

34 minutes ago, btl said:

Thanks Ema, valid point. I ride it on hard so there is hardly any "behaviour" anyway, but i'll see and learn. If it works out, its maybe worth the work to flip board and battery internally. 

I did these two fixes to my exn. 

First one is adding a wet vac filter to stop dust ingress from the motor cable hole. Newer exns won’t have this issue

the second is to balance the weight of the battery pack. I disagree with some that say you can’t feel it. To me it noticeably turns easier one way, and it like will start accelerating backwards on level ground lol. So I went to a hardware store, to their diy section, found the thickest 3 foot steel bar I could find (I think 3/8”, maybe it was 5/16”), then asked a local locksmith to cut it down to 11” section. Rough cuts are ok (an angle grinder is what they used, all locksmiths have these). 3 of these bars was the right weight to balance the wheel front to back so it’ll stay out on level ground, which weighs about 5.5 pounds total. The placement of the bars means you can get away with adding less weight than the whole packs are.

now it’s close enough to perfectly balanced that I’m calling it done. Spent about 40 bucks in all. 

0D40B145-64FF-44C4-9D35-9DD8BB6F6BC7.jpeg

D58D9594-1D7B-405A-A08B-9D3B273F3047.jpeg

I did the switch and tried riding it backwards - what a difference! Behaviour is fine (remember, i ride it on hard, your mileage may vary) when turning, and if i do bunnyhops, the wheel keeps its rotation forward, instead of reversing mid air. No squeeking of the tire when landing after a speedbump jump. 

I'll keep it that way! Tomorrow i'll check if and how i can switch the rear and front light.

Also, i love the new tire i put on it, the Heidenau K66 80/80-14. Its Diameter is a bit smaller  than stock, but i don't need the full speed anyway.

• Like 1

Does the heidenau fit the RS she'll with enough room for debris to exit the wheel well?

I really want to try that tire. I ride almost half trails and half pavement. The stock 1488 is ok on the trails but the tread cups really quick on the pavement. I could ride another 1k miles on the middle but thread is worn off center enough to notice on the dirt. 

I don't need a full knobby. My trails are not loam or muddy, more dusty had pack with the occasional sand trap and some gravel.

I don't mind changing tires when the performance falls off. 

Any issues with it being too lose on the rim where the head could pop off like the Sherman in Kuji Rolls video? 

Flipping the EXN to ride backwards sounds like it's working out well! Maybe gotgode will put both packs in the front and the board in the back on future models. 

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

Does the heidenau fit the RS she'll with enough room for debris to exit the wheel well?

already fitted on RS, no problem at all, it's nice and clear even on msx/msp shells that are a bit tight compared to RS/EX/EXN

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

Any issues with it being too lose on the rim where the head could pop off like the Sherman in Kuji Rolls video?

i don't know if someone fitted it into the sherman rim, on any Gotway wheels fits nice ;)

• Like 1

The K66 was quite hard to get onto the rim, i went to the local tire shop... i changed several tires already, but this one resisted a lot. I don't think it could get off by accident without a major rim damage. Take your time to center the tire on the rim with a low 0.5 bar pressure and be sure not to get the tube between rim and tire at the valve spot.

Give it the desired pressure (i ride at 28 psi, 88kg rider) only after the tire is properly centered and you'll love it.

PS: flipping front and rear light was possible, the plastic part share the same mounting, after all, the shell is 2 symetrical parts. Only the wires for the daytime running light needed to be extented. Oh, and i also turned the voltage display 180° so i can read it easily while riding, it is now in the front :-) 

Edited by btl
  • Like 1

@btl that's so cool! No one would even know you flipped it around unless they looked really close. 

My secret weapon for tires is furniture polish on the bead. It's very slick and thicker than soap solution. Also making sure the bead is pressed into the room well opposite the side you're working. 

I've had a lot of dirt bike tires that are difficult too. Furniture polish helps a lot. 

Nothing worse than working a mean tire for ever only to pinch the tube, or take a bite out of it with a the tire leavers! 

@EMA thank you for the confirmation! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfling said:

Very interested.

Any particular/alternate brand you can recommend?

I use what ever store brand I can find, lately it's been the one at Walmart. Any of the lemon pledge clones work well. 

• Like 1

If you plan on jumping an ex.n and worried about weight, just remove a battery pack. Then it's the same as an RS. If going to a skate park and plan on crazy full sends, remove 2 battery packs. Just be careful with a single pack. The stock packs sag quite a bit under load.