Titanium Pedal rods?

GothamMike

2 hours ago, GothamMike said:

I wrote the guy on eBay, he need the length, AKA the specifications. Being argumentative is not helpful.

Mike: There are many sources for titanium rods. First acquire the measurements by removing one of the pedal rods and check the length with a tape measure. As for the diameter if you don’t have micrometer head to your nearest Home Depot or Lowes and use their’s for free. Once you have the measurements you can contact the guy on Ebay or purchase from a company  like McMaster. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/Rods/titanium/shape~rod-and-disc/

Edited by Rehab1

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Thread?

There isn’t any, they’re plain rods just like all the other stock pedal axles.

I managed to source a new set today from an aerospace company here which unsurprisingly has a much more accurate specification than the last bought - it seems that not all titanium rod is created equally!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow I'm not the only one to have thought of titanium pedal rods 😎👍🏆

I have been using mine for over 4 months now titanium rods are definely the way forward mine are 4x stronger and lighter than originals (as light as a pencil) have a look I sell them for£25 a pair perfectly cut and the proper grade titanium that will never rust or corode and never suffer sticky or stuck pedals again. They don't bend.

1643671567602.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, Number1stunner said:

I have been using mine for over 4 months now titanium rods are definely the way forward mine are 4x stronger and lighter than originals (as light as a pencil)

Stronger, I get. 

Lighter, I understand. But really, for the size of them, how much weight is actually saved, and is that enough to make any real difference?

For myself personally I’m not so concerned about the weight saving, it’s as RoninRyder suggested, the improved feeling through the feet is what I appreciate. If I wanted to save weight I’d just empty my pockets before going for a spin, I’m at the ‘fuller figure’ ahem, bracket, possibly like yourself!

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:39 PM, GothamMike said:

I read that titanium pedal rods give more flex and "suspension" to a wheel.

Yes, about few thousandth of inch. Comparing that to tires flex, this is complete BS. Slight weight savings and better resistance against corrosion are real. 

• Like 2

Can anyone, hand on heart, say that a titanium pedal rod feels any different to a stock one? I just cant see it personally but I'd love to know.

As for weight reduction I'm not bothered by that either - its not enough to worry about.

The one major thing for me though is rust prevention. I've never had to deal with a siezed rod and nor do I want to. I used to grease the rods in the past which prevents the problem but the downside is it attracts all manner of grit and dust so I stopped doing it. So titanium would sort that, but then so would good old stainless steel..

Edit: Eucner beat me to it 

Edited by Planemo

I couldn't tell any difference on my 16X (now a relatively light wheel). I put them on after I saw videos of people angle grinding the pedal hangers off because the pedal rod was bent and stuck... the way I treat my wheel (save self, abandon wheel) I was bound to bend my pedal rods too. So far, no bending... and personally I think changing insoles would make more of a difference in ride feel.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, Planemo said:

Theres no way you will snap the stock steel rods. If anything they will bend, but more likely a pedal would crack before the rods fail anyway.

Haha, never say never. A local rider had a high speed cutout, his wheel zombie'd into a tree with its pedal. The pedal hanger literally bent (twisted), the pedal rod is sheared off, but the NyloNove Clark pedal appears to have survived not broken (it didn't break, but it's not usable). Battery ejectors worked well. Wheel is destroyed, so if you do total your wheel by running it into a tree, the stock pedal rods might shear. I have no idea if a Ti rod would have survived either.

Edited by Tawpie
They were Clark pedals, not NyloNoves, and they aren't usable post crash

Lol yes of course steel can shear if enough load is applied in a short enough space of time but that aint ever gonna happen from a riders input.

Good story tho, and yes a Ti rod would likely have sheared as well, given its more brittle than steel. Best option for pedal rods is stainless steel IMO unless you are looking to save every ounce.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Best option for pedal rods is stainless steel IMO unless you are looking to save every ounce.

Totally agree, as stainless steel pedal rods came standard with my Nylonove Sherman pedals, so it's already widely available with this High Quality brand of pedals at least.

• Upvote 1