KS 16x or S18

No1up

1 hour ago, No1up said:

Well 18xl and 16x are out stock 😭 s18 or V11... you have a gun at your head... you're forced to make a decision based on what you know.. reliability, safety, easy maintenance, comfort, range, speed, are the most important to you. Click click... make your choice.. or a OW, that's the given 3rd choice lol. 

V11 and get a pin-up picture of the s18. If range and speed didnt matter, the OW would be the obvious choice based on your criteria. I purchased an s18 based on looks. I'd imagine its the main reason people adopt it. I still maintain that a good, PROVEN wheel without suspension, is a good first choice. Especially as your first, while admitting not wanting to wrench on it.

Its obvious you are going to get every opinion available. I doubt this is making it any easier. My s18 paled in comparison to the build quality of the rest of my wheels. Of course, a lot of people say its GREAT in quality. Once again, you'll get conflicted opinions, leaving you exactly where you began.

Fwiw, theres an s18 for sale atm in MD. Looks around $1500 and has already proven to at least work...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, No1up said:

If I have to fix it, which one would be easier to do so?

The one you like more.

Seriously.

No matter which wheel you get, if you need to work on it, you’ll find a YT video that shows how to do it anyway. It really doesn’t matter if the other has a few more steps than the other.

The S18 vs V11 fight was fiery for a long time about a year ago, and the discussion can be very long winded. There are many comparison videos in YT, including my own. Individual reviews are meaningless for comparisons, especially with the first suspension wheels. No matter how crappy the suspension was, it would be the most amazingest thing in the universe if it just moved slightly in large bumps. You’d really need to ride and inspect both to get even a remotely good opinion on the battle. And for an actual informed decision you’d need to ride both for a week.

But since that isn’t possible, you need to go by the info you do have.

Personally I hate many aspects on the S18, and I’ve only ridden one where the suspension has been worked through enough (20+ hrs) for it to work almost smoothly. All four S18s had some work done, one of them by an EUC shop, but the mechanism was still stuck. Then there are the strange geometry, falling sidepads and side panels, ripping bumper, dragging fender, exposed motor cable the shell drags on, difficult trolley, illogical trolley motor cutoff logic, 8 beeps per power on, etc…

The V11 is much more nimble, can easily fit different tires, has more range, stepless pedal sensitivity adjustment, silent mode, custom/DIY sounds for every action, much better lights, has a much higher quality feel to it, etc. The big V11 issue was of course a bearing failure, but the bearings now come with covers. Just make sure you get the latest version if you go with the V11.

But all of these are personal opinions, and many riders surely have very different experiences on both wheels than I do.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wheel-life said:

Love my 16X

me too. zero issues. goes everywhere and over everything as long as you don't want to go faster than 28 mph. I'm trialing @ShanesPlanet power pads (off road because, well, I like that best!) and between them and the wheel's inbuilt torque... magic. can't go wrong with an old design. unless you've gotten the need for speed in which case you need a more modern model.

NOTE: Shane's power pads were designed for a Sherman and don't fit the 16x as well as he'd like. So far, I've been super pleased. But they're not designed for the 16x, at least not yet.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Well, I think I'll go for the v11. Seems to give you more. Body rattle would bother me a lot and that seems to be an issue on the s18 unless that's been fixed. Battery slump and lean angle would also bother me. The v11 seems free of these issues. Not as sexy but pretty much everything I'm looking for and more. With power pads I think it would be just right. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, No1up said:

Well, I think I'll go for the v11.

I think that is the better choice atm. As long as you take reasonable care, and keep the air shocks in suitable pressures, you are going to have the most luxurious EUC under you!

• Like 1

Is the S18 still rattling like at the beginning? I was hoping that it was finally fixed. :shock2:

I actually wanted to buy it soon for my wife to replace the V8, but I would not want to hear all the time this rattle next to me. :efeff54d4a:

For myself, the S18 has never been an option, but for my wife with her knee problem it might be an option.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Is the S18 still rattling like at the beginning? I was hoping that it was finally fixed. :shock2:

Sorry I can't really help, I don't notice any rattle and don't really know what you mean but when I jump up and down on it does it make a noise-yes. But its not a rattle sound.

The clacking noise when strong compression ( going down stairs) was known to me so far, but now I had read somewhere that it should also make this noise continuously on gravel roads. Since we ride exclusively offroad, that would be the horror of constantly hearing noises when riding through potholes or over roots and stones. 

1 minute ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

The clacking noise when strong compression ( going down stairs) was known to me so far, but now I had read somewhere that it should also make this noise continuously on gravel roads. Since we ride exclusively offroad, that would be the horror of constantly hearing noises when riding through potholes or over roots and stones. 

I understand what you mean now, yes going down stairs I hear that noise (i suppose it could vary depending on the suspension settings too- rebound) . I haven't noticed it on gravel roads but also on very undulating ground though. I think it must be inherent to the design and its limitations. 

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

but also on very undulating ground though

Do I understand it correctly that you have the same clacking noise on such paths?

That would be exactly what keeps me from buying. 

2 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

For myself, the S18 has never been an option, but for my wife with her knee problem it might be an option.

You might want to wait for the S20 and whatever model number Inmotion has bubbling in their lab. These manufacturers will surely continue the suspension race, and personally I have big hopes for the next round.

Until then though, I’m happy as Pharrell Williams with my V11! :clap3:

• Like 1

Anyone know if the V11 pamels are easy to replace when they are beat up?  

Edited by No1up

30 minutes ago, No1up said:

Anyone know if the V11 pamels are easy to replace when they are beat up?  

Yep super easy

V11 is easy to work on it’s well made unlike the S18

and to go with the above argument 

I have both the S18 and the V11

if you were to pick only 1 it’s the V11

the V11 is better all round, I only Pick the S18 for big bash sessions as the rim is tougher and it handles big drops better, but the V11 is better everywhere 

so so so smooth and refined

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Do I understand it correctly that you have the same clacking noise on such paths?

That would be exactly what keeps me from buying. 

I actually went out today and tested that out and I didn't find it an issue on very undulating ground.  Sounds like the V11 is technically a better wheel, reason why I chose the S18 over it was the extra range and speed wasn't important to me and it cost £200 (232Euro, 275USD) more. Plus I liked the implementation of the suspension on the S18 more than the V11 because the motherboard is on top and suspended with the wheel. But ultimately its only a wheel and not that important it will be superseded soon enough. Everyone has different tastes and ideas needs and wants and thats good.

• Like 3

V11 owners I know are totally happy with their wheels. S18 owners I know are totally happy with their wheels. But I want a suspended 16" with 6p batteries, so I wait. And rattle and bounce along happily on the 16x. Keeps my legs in shape. Yeah, that's it. Fitness.

• Like 2

Can't speak for the S18, but today I rode my v11 (255lbs) across a field so rutted out none of my other wheels would have lasted seconds on and I cruised through it without issue.

The bad part is that it is a 84V wheel and has no low end torque IMHO.

Very capable wheel for a larger rider by all means. 

v11 also passed my city to city test so the battery configuration is good in that department for me as well. 

Not trying to sell the unit, just some honest feedback from a larger rider.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tawpie said:

V11 owners I know are totally happy with their wheels. S18 owners I know are totally happy with their wheels. 

However, this is mainly because almost no one wants to admit that they have bought shit. 

Even if I can not understand, nevertheless, this is unfortunately 95% the case. 

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 1

Has the v11 bearing issue been addressed? I think I'd put up with the s18 flaws over the v11 bearing issue 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

However, this is mainly because almost no one wants to admit that they have bought shit.

😲But totally true. And the more it cost, the better it is (automatically). I know I never ever make mistakes with expensive toys.

8 hours ago, No1up said:

Has the v11 bearing issue been addressed?

Maybe? Probably? You don’t hear much about it any more… but folks might not be riding in the rain given the track record. I don’t recall anyone noting GW esk changes to the V11. You don’t hear much about GW bearings anymore either so it seems to have been a solvable problem.