First impressions of the EUC market from a non-driver...

sidderke

Ninebot Max for me was one year ago in June 2020. I am now on my third EUC and first ebike. Max has few hundred kms. EUC combined 4000km. Few hundred on the ebike. 

I feel ebike is good for performance and safety. EUC just wins for convenience and fun riding. It is more dangerous cause of bumps, reliance on self balance electronics.  It takes a while to develop ability to ride tight lines. Observation is similar to bicycle but less ability to react to sudden emergency maneuvers like braking. For me, EUC requires a happy mood and not being rushed.  EUC on a vetted path with good weather and leisurely pace is a dream. For pure commuting where there’s some surprises and weather , I would choose bicycle. 

Bigger wheel accelerates much the same as a smaller wheel. It just has more top speed and more range. My Sherman feels slower than V10 from 0-15kmh. It is so much more stable 20-45kmh and feels safer doing traffic and moving aggressively. V10 is only slightly more nimble and feels stable 20-35kmh. I don’t feel like pushing it that hard at all. I guess the V10 is slightly better going slow but not by much. It is much easier to carry and pack into a car. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

V8 was just last year updated with F model and now recently with V8S model.

Ow, I didn't learn yet about the V8S, very interesting. The V8 looks like it has a great handle and everyone seems to love it except for its range (and maybe top speed, but that's of less a concern to me - I still love my Ninebot Max which is not a speed demon either)

Would be great if the V10 would also get a battery upgrade... A 70-100km range seems great to have on a Unicycle (I know it depends on weight and circumstances, but with my 72kg in the summer I do get about a small 50km's on my Ninebot Max)

Thanks everyone for the comments. If you have something to add, please do, it's interesting hearing people's viewpoints on the market.

Edited by sidderke

1 hour ago, sidderke said:

Ow, I didn't learn yet about the V8S, very interesting. The V8 looks like it has a great handle and everyone seems to love it except for its range (and maybe top speed, but that's of less a concern to me - I still love my Ninebot Max which is not a speed demon either)

Would be great if the V10 would also get a battery upgrade... A 70-100km range seems great to have on a Unicycle (I know it depends on weight and circumstances, but with my 72kg in the summer I do get about a small 50km's on my Ninebot Max)

Thanks everyone for the comments. If you have something to add, please do, it's interesting hearing people's viewpoints on the market.

My spouse used to own a V8 and I often borrowed it for commuting. It is a very nice wheel for that. But if you plan to ride 50 km trips, then a bigger wheel would suit better. Especially if you have the budget for that. V10F has a 960 Wh battery that takes you around 50-60 km in real life. It's easier to ride a bit faster so you should think about it as 50 km wheel with some kilometres to spare if you keep at 30 km/h. Most of the time you can think half of what the manufacturers claim. (They test at 25C weather, no wind, 75 kg rider, 20-25 km/h constant speed with no accelerations or uphills) An 18XL you can ride for 90-100 km. I have passed 100 km on one ride, around 30 km /h and warm weather. A V11 can do up to 80 km in real life at your weight and in warm weather. 

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

With that said, just because you think 20 mph is all you need, does not mean you should buy a wheel with a 20 mph top speed. If you THINK you need a 20 mph wheel, you need to buy yourself a 25 mph wheel so you can have that 20 mph safely. 

Very wise, but it needs a correction:

If you think 30kph/20mph is enough, you need to buy yourself a 50kph/30mph wheel so you can have the 40kph/25mph safely that you will actually ride:D

12 hours ago, sidderke said:

A 70-100km range seems great to have on a Unicycle

Do NOT believe the outrageously inflated range numbers from the manufacturers. As a (very rough) rule of thumb, 1000Wh = 50km = 30 miles at 30kph/20mph. Much less if you go faster (20km at 50kph/30mph), much more if you go slower (might even get the official number if you can go that slow without going crazy).

If you have a specific model in mind, just see or ask what ranges people actually get on it.

Manufacturer ranges are lies.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

Thank you for all the comments and advice, I appreciate it. It's also still a bit of a shock to a newbie that the market doesn't seem huge in the amount of models and companies playing. 

I've noticed by watching YT videos and reading the forum here that indeed the ranges are hugely inflated (not that different with electric scooters). That's nice about the website of electricscooterguide, that they do their own testing, with the same rider, pretty much the same parameters, and they have a database with tested range, not only the numbers from the manufacturers. 

I am indeed looking at a V8s, V10f, V10s, some Kingsongs models. Thursday I can play a couple of hours with a v10f so then I'll first see if it's something I enjoy, like, want more or want nothing to do with for the time being :D 

• Like 1

I agree with the speed. I have a Ninebot Max now and in Europe it’s limited to 25km/hour. I have moments in traffic where either to catch up with someone or in long straight roads I would like it to go a bit faster, but it’s not something I miss a lot. If I would have a wheel I think if I get comfortable I would be riding at max 35km/hour, and only in very specific conditions. I think 25-33km/hour is a nice speed. 
Of course as someone already mentioned, with a EUC having a bit more margin has big effects on safety. I didn’t understand the mention about riding above bumps until I read a blog that explained how the machine then needs more power to keep itself balanced. Makes sense and another thing to keep in mind. 

I do like range so that’s something that often puts my preference in heavier machines. That’s why I picked the Ninebot Max, because its range was unmatched in its price category. I would hope Inmotion announcing a V10S like they did with the V8s just now.  If a electric scooter and an electric unicycle would have the same battery size and the same weight rider/weather and they ride at the same comparable speed, would there be a lot of difference between the range of the scooter and the unicycle? Or would that be negligible? 

I agree about customer and safety features. Stuff like you see on the V12 (just as an example because I just saw some reviews on YouTube): a mini screen, a kickstand, IPX rating, … 

In the Electric Scooter world it’s also nice to see some new features. The Apollo Phantom I believe with a beautiful display, or the (still on Kickstarter?) TAUR scooter that has a backlight that points up, illuminating the driver. Very handy because the back light on a scooter is so low (I have a helmet with built-in lights) 

Edited by sidderke

8 minutes ago, sidderke said:

Thank you for that support. I will keep it in mind when I try and fail! 

It aint fail unless you quit. It's simply part of the learning experience and journey. Always focus on the bigger picture.  If you decide to ride an euc, its best you just assume there is no fail in your plans or future.:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It was natural for the electric unicycle market to develop this way. The summary is: few reasons not to go for a "big" performance wheel, while the "smaller" ones do have some serious disadvantages.

Reasons to buy a big and bad wheel:

• They are safer! Speed and big battery make you safer on self-balancing vehicles. This is counterintuitive to how other vehicles are perceived, where power means danger. For EUCs, stronger = safer. Think planes, where a smaller, lighter, slower plane is considered less safe than a bigger one.
    If you are concerned about speed: you can ride slow on a wheel that can go much faster. Problem solved.
  • Since battery size = range, any high range wheel will be big and bad automatically.
  • You can do pretty much everything on them you could do with a smaller wheel. Even the biggest electric unicycle is - in the end - quite small and maneuverable. You lose almost nothing when riding a bigger wheel.
  • Usefulness. You'll likely outgrow a small wheel or it will be too limiting in the long term. If you want a serious commuter wheel that replaces a car or bus ride, as opposed to a 10 minute walk, you're already in performance wheel territory. Experience shows 30kph is too slow in the medium to long term, and 35kph is barely cutting it. If you want those speeds at non-full battery, you're already in the area of wheels that can go 50kph.

Reasons to buy a "small" wheel:

• Price. They're cheaper. On the other hand: for the same money, you could get a used performance wheel.
  • Low weight. If you need to carry your wheel regularly, a 40kg Sherman just won't work. But as long as you ride, weight is no problem.
  • You just like the maneuverability and fun from a smaller tire, more torque-y wheel. It is a different ride, and the very heavy wheels do lose some of that fun. It's a different kind of fun to wrestle a heavy wheel, though.

A "big" wheel just makes sense for most people. A "small" wheel does come with limitations.

There's also a bit of history. EUCs used to be too weak and too slow until they weren't. Technical developments happened. All that was not that long ago. Too weak and too slow (for most people) is not that far away from what the current performance wheels offer.

-

In my opinion, if you want a serious electric unicycle and not just play around: I consider the V8/V8F/V8S and the 16S and everything below too slow for the majority of people in the long term. Fun starts with the V10/V10F, and the biggest reason to not go higher is simply price.  The MCM5 is an outlier in that the tire size, not its speed or power, limits how you would want to use it.

I strongly disagree with that last sentence re: MCM5. If they made a 100v version of this wheel that did 35 mph i would be first in line to get one. 

That wheel has nearly killed me multiple times because it cannot deliver the speeds i need safely.

Whereas a 100v MSX will give me 30 mph without breaking a sweat nor fear of cutout. 

I know, for that price, I thought: if I don't like it, I can sell it again. If it's my thing, I'll hate myself for not getting that deal. And than I had my own wheel that I could train on for as long as I wanted. 

The guy who also had the V10F (and already gave me some tips on my second day, which was very welcome) said it was such a good deal he was doubting to buy a second wheel :roflmao: 

It was an absurd price. I think it was stock they wanted to get rid of.

• Like 1